Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Hallo from Germany!

I'm Pierre, 17 years old and I've been actively taking pictures for almost 4 years and have been very interested in cameras since I was little. (I also love to watch the Snappiness channel and I thought I'd join the forum, I've already read some threads that were very interesting and a pleasure to read).

It all started with an old no-name 35mm point and shoot.

At about 6 (after my parents both bought their first iPhones) I got the family digital camera, a Casio Exilim EX-Z1080. I used this a lot and still have it (I should buy a new battery sometime).
In 2019 I got a Sony A37 and since then I've been enthusiastically shooting with "bigger" cameras, after that came shifting other cameras, I liked the images from the 16 megapixel sensor (is that by chance the same as in the K5?), however I didn't like the rest of the camera at all as I couldn't hold it comfortably (very small grip, big hands).
So I switched to an A58 and from that to an A7 (Mark 1).

From this I went to a D700, which I liked very much, especially from a lens-price point of view. However, I didn't quite warm up to the handling, so I sold it to my father who was interested in a full-frame camera.

Now I have a Canon EOS 5D Mark III. Lately, though, I've been thinking about switching to a Pentax K-5 II or K-3. (I will most likely create a thread for this to explain it in detail).

With kind regards

Pierre

Daniel Gonzalez, EckyH and Gideon Liddiard Photography have reacted to this post.
Daniel GonzalezEckyHGideon Liddiard Photography

Welcome, Pierre! Happy to meet you.

You've got to experience a lot o very different cameras! That's awesome. And some really nice ones at that. Have you gotten to hold and use a Pentax yet? I really like the ergo on the K-5/K-3 series, and I think most people do but it is subjective. I like to play with all sorts of cameras (as you know) but Pentax is my mainstay for sure.

If you make a thread more about your thoughts on the Pentax I'd be happy to share more of my experience 🙂

What kinds of photography are you into?

Resiema has reacted to this post.
Resiema
Happy snappin' 🙂

Thank you for the warm welcome. I almost feel a bit honored that you answer me (It was definitely a nice surprise 😊).

Yes, I've definitely been able to experience a few cameras and I think that's nice too, however I want to find a system to stay. (So I have a main and can buy other cameras quirky secondary cameras)

Unfortunately I wasn't able to hold a digital Pentax in my hand yet, however I did hold a K1000 once and took a few photos with it. (I really liked it, but I don't do that much analog (currently) so I did not buy one).

I would definitely be happy if you and others share their experiences with Pentax in that thread. (Will create that later today) But I’m already impressed by Pentax because of your Videos about the various bodies (K-5, K-5II(m), K-5IIs, K-3 and the others 🙂)

This is actually a bit more difficult question haha

I photograph everything I find interesting. However, there are also subjects I specifically like to photograph: street (the kind where you don't focus on faces or single people but more on small details, structures or still/daily life), landscape, architecture, nature, macro or creative subjects. (light painting for example) (subjects where I don't really need full frame).

Often I just take pictures of anything that interests me while I'm walking or riding my bike haha.

From time to time I also do some portraits for friends and family.

Gideon Liddiard Photography has reacted to this post.
Gideon Liddiard Photography

Hallo aus Nottuln und willkommen im Forum.

The bodies of the (K-7)/K-5/K-3 series is for me the most ergonomic. That are former flagship cameras and they are not that cheap, but imho they are good value for the money.

The K-5 and K-5II(s) have the same sensor. If you plan to use KAF4 lenses, then a K-3 is the better choice, because the K-5 series cannot control the aperture of KAF4 lenses and therefore only take images with wide open aperture. But there are plenty of good lenses which are compatible with the K-5 series.

If ever possible: read the manual of your preferred camera before you buy and try find out whether your preferred settings are possible. I didn't do so with the result that I don't like my Panasonic GX8 at all, because it's impossible to configure the front and rear dials to have different functions.

Whatever camera your choice is in the end: have fun here.

E.

Resiema has reacted to this post.
Resiema
Veni, vidi, serravi.
Quote from EckyH on July 24, 2023, 8:18 pm

Hallo aus Nottuln und willkommen im Forum.

The bodies of the (K-7)/K-5/K-3 series is for me the most ergonomic. That are former flagship cameras and they are not that cheap, but imho they are good value for the money.

Hallo ins Münsterland (komme vom Niederrhein, ist ja gar nicht soo weit entfernt 😅) und danke 😄

Yes, I have the impression that the K-7/K-5/K-3 series are the most ergonomic for most people. And when looking at the pictures from the cameras, the controls seem very well arranged. 

I like to buy flagship cameras because they usually feel very nice and are intuitive.

The K-5 and K-5II(s) have the same sensor. If you plan to use KAF4 lenses, then a K-3 is the better choice, because the K-5 series cannot control the aperture of KAF4 lenses and therefore only take images with wide open aperture. But there are plenty of good lenses which are compatible with the K-5 series. 

I did not know that, but I was not planning on using such new lenses anyway, as I wanted to buy most of the lenses second hand. 🙂

Whatever camera your choice is in the end: have fun here.

Will definitely have, I already feel pretty comfortable and welcome here. ☺️