Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Greetings from the Windy City

Page 1 of 3Next

Hello. I enjoy the Snappy YT channel greatly.

Technically I don't live in Chicago, but it's only a short walk away.

I shoot with Nikon gear, but I am also a Pentax fan.  I do own a Pentax K1000 and a 6X7 along with a bunch of other really nice film cameras from other manufacturers, that in all honesty rarely get used.

I still own the Nikon FM2 that my folks gave me as a HS graduation gift.  It was used for many years and still works great.

The camera I use most of the time now is my D7200 and prior to that the D7000.  I mostly shoot wildlife that we have around the Chicago area. The lens that is most often mounted is my 300mm f4 AF-S.  Prior to that I used the 70-300m f4.5-5.6 G lens and prior to that the older version of that one and prior to that , my old manual focus 80-200mm f4.5 AI-s zoom which is a really nice testament to Japanese craftsmanship.  In fact I am inspired by Mr. snappy to bring this one out again. BTW you can buy that lens all day long for like less than a 100 bucks.  It's insanely sharp.

My other hobbies are music, I particular like guitar music, rock, blues, jazz and prog. I noodle around on guitar.  I am general outdoor enthusiast. I like fishing, hiking, cycling, kayaking. Surprisingly we have great opportunities locally.

So okay- here are some shots.  These are all around the Chicago area. Snowberry Clearwing by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

Northern Watersnake by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

Osprey by Mark Kasick, on Flickr Green Heron by Mark Kasick, on Flickr Red-Bellied Woodpecker. by Mark Kasick, on Flickr American Redstart by Mark Kasick, on Flickr Northern Watersnake by Mark Kasick, on Flickr Male Baltomore Oriole with Chick by Mark Kasick, on Flickr Kiss Me. by Mark Kasick, on Flickr Ruby-throated Hummingbird by Mark Kasick, on Flickr Six-Spotted Fishing Spider by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

challenging.

Ruby-throated Hummingbird by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

I love dragonflies.

Calico Penant by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

I have more.  Should probably make sure this works.

James Warner, Beau Carpenter and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerBeau CarpenterSpruceBruceGawad

Some mornings I like to shoot down to the lake (michigan aka the big pond) to shoot the sunrise.

CP Sunrise by Mark Kasick, on Flick Sunrise Calumet Park-8 by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

This is with a D200 which was a CMOS sensor.  People like the colors but in all reality I probably went ape in PS elemnts at that time.  I still think it's a nice shot.

Cal Park Sunrise by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

Bridge over the Calumet River

Calumet Fisheries Chicago, IL. by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

This happened there. CLICK

SpruceBruce and Gawad have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceGawad

These photos are amazing! Glad to see a fellow MidWest shooter!  I had the D7200 before I made the switch to the Pentax KP.  I think it can punch it's weight as just as good as the D500/7500 after all these years.  I paired mine with the Tamron 150-600 for wildlife.  Some of my favorite shots I've gotten in the last two years with it.

Uploaded files:
  • DSC_4536.jpg
  • DSC_4583.jpg
  • DSC_2965.jpg
  • DSC_3362.jpg
  • DSC_4562.jpg
Beau Carpenter and Gawad have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterGawad
Quote from KankRat on June 30, 2021, 10:30 pm

Hello. I enjoy the Snappy YT channel greatly.

Technically I don't live in Chicago, but it's only a short walk away.

I shoot with Nikon gear, but I am also a Pentax fan.  I do own a Pentax K1000 and a 6X7 along with a bunch of other really nice film cameras from other manufacturers, that in all honesty rarely get used.

I still own the Nikon FM2 that my folks gave me as a HS graduation gift.  It was used for many years and still works great.

The camera I use most of the time now is my D7200 and prior to that the D7000.  I mostly shoot wildlife that we have around the Chicago area. The lens that is most often mounted is my 300mm f4 AF-S.  Prior to that I used the 70-300m f4.5-5.6 G lens and prior to that the older version of that one and prior to that , my old manual focus 80-200mm f4.5 AI-s zoom which is a really nice testament to Japanese craftsmanship.  In fact I am inspired by Mr. snappy to bring this one out again. BTW you can buy that lens all day long for like less than a 100 bucks.  It's insanely sharp.

My other hobbies are music, I particular like guitar music, rock, blues, jazz and prog. I noodle around on guitar.  I am general outdoor enthusiast. I like fishing, hiking, cycling, kayaking. Surprisingly we have great opportunities locally.

So okay- here are some shots.  These are all around the Chicago area. Snowberry Clearwing by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

Northern Watersnake by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

Osprey by Mark Kasick, on Flickr Green Heron by Mark Kasick, on Flickr Red-Bellied Woodpecker. by Mark Kasick, on Flickr American Redstart by Mark Kasick, on Flickr Northern Watersnake by Mark Kasick, on Flickr Male Baltomore Oriole with Chick by Mark Kasick, on Flickr Kiss Me. by Mark Kasick, on Flickr Ruby-throated Hummingbird by Mark Kasick, on Flickr Six-Spotted Fishing Spider by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

challenging.

Ruby-throated Hummingbird by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

I love dragonflies.

Calico Penant by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

I have more.  Should probably make sure this works.

Welcome to the forum. Incredible shots, thanks for sharing!

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Quote from KankRat on June 30, 2021, 10:50 pm

Welcome! Thanks for joining us over here. Happy to have you. I'm glad the system finally let you in 😁

I've been learning more about the Nikon FM2 recently with the recent release of the Nikon ZFC mirrorless camera. What do you think of that camera?

Those are all really nice pictures. I am trying to up my wildlife game and it's inspiring to see what people can pull of with more practice and skill. I did see a snake the other day in the trail while I was biking, but it was a rattlesnake and I didn't feel like stopping and pulling my camera out while it was nearby 😉

That last picture is awesome. I watched the video. Never seen the movie before but had me chuckling. It looks like the picture was taken with an ultra wide lens. What lens were you using?

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂

I've been learning more about the Nikon FM2 recently with the recent release of the Nikon ZFC mirrorless camera. What do you think of that camera?

I’m going to butt and chime in, I think it’s cool they released a predecessor to the Df, but I’d wish it was Full Frame, I have an awesome vintage Nikon glass collection.  As much as I love my Pre AI 28mm F3.5 or my AIS 24mm 2.8 it’s not the same with having a 36 or 42mm FOV on APS-C with the Z50 vs the FF Df when I owned it.  It basically seems to be a redesigned Z50 without a grip and vintage dials, the two Dx Z series lenses available are so compact and amazing though.

Quote from Snappy on July 1, 2021, 2:13 am

I've been trying to figure out who this camera is for, or who it's targeted for. It's basically the same guts as a Z50, but in the Body of an F2? When Mattias Burling said he ordered one on instagram like the minute it was announced I replied that maybe it was for people who want a retro film feel but already have Nikon lenses, or maybe vloggers who want to be even more hipster. He snapped back at me that it was for "people who want to get the shot quickly don't want to miss the moment." Sure, but they could do that with any camera, and it's not like the Zfc is particularly pocketable or  has like a 0.03 second startup time or anything. I feel like this is Nikon's bid to capitalize on the film resurgence, especially after they killed of the F6. Also, the competitor for the retro-looking APS-C's would definitely be the Fujis, especially the X-S10.

Would I get it? No.

But. Would I get it if I was less broke? Also no. I already have an APS-C camera and I feel like I'm only growing more and more happier with it. It'll be interesting to see of Nikon develops a more prolific APS-C camera line though. Canon has very good offerings in that realm which are much smaller than the Zfc, and Sony's APS-C's are a stable of youtube-style home videos.

Ever striving for minimum competency
Quote from KankRat on June 30, 2021, 10:50 pm

Welcome! Thanks for joining us over here. Happy to have you. I'm glad the system finally let you in 😁

Those are all really nice pictures. I am trying to up my wildlife game and it's inspiring to see what people can pull of with more practice and skill. I did see a snake the other day in the trail while I was biking, but it was a rattlesnake and I didn't feel like stopping and pulling my camera out while it was nearby 😉

That last picture is awesome. I watched the video. Never seen the movie before but had me chuckling. It looks like the picture was taken with an ultra wide lens. What lens were you using?

Thanks.

Lens on the 95th street bridge pic is Tokina 11-16 f2.8- second one I think.  Used in mint shape $250. Good lens with caveats.

Super sharp, solid build.  Prone to flares,  chromatic abberation and it's a really limited focal range and a lot harder to get good compositions than I was expecting.  that's not the lenses fault though.  It's also a lot of weight in a camera bag if you aren't going to use it.

The Blues Brothers movie is fabulous all the way thru.  I may be biased because I am a native Chicagoan and I love all that kind of music.

Epic performances by Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles, James Brown, the great Cab Calloway and the Blues Brothes themselves which was an all star band.  So many memorable lines and scenes.

The sequel was awful.

James Warner has reacted to this post.
James Warner

Having never fondled one, it's hard to say.

It looks cool.

I love the dials on top. One glance down and you know where your settings are.

looks like it has FE/FM ergonomics or the lack thereof. BOOOO!  One of the first things I bought when I got the FM2 was the MD-12 motor drive  (in 1983-egad) a. it looked cool and b it so much more comfortable.

I've never actually shot with a mirrorless camera, but playing in the store, I just did not dig it- don't know why.

Also my next camera (likely a D7500, D500 or an D850...in order of likelihood) will have a flip up screen and it won't be a flip around screen.

Like Justin, I have to wonder...who is this intended for ? Certainly not the horder of AI-s glass it's an aps-c camera.

If you have all those cool dials on top, but are totally clueless on what they do? Yeah, I don't get it.

But you know, if you are an old school guy, buy the kit lenses which look cool.  This might be a super fun camera.

Justin Tung has reacted to this post.
Justin Tung
Quote from Justin Tung on July 1, 2021, 8:09 pm

Sure, but they could do that with any camera, and it's not like the Zfc is particularly pocketable or  has like a 0.03 second startup time or anything.

Yeah, I think that sums it up pretty well. It looks like a great camera, it's just doesn't stand out in any significant way as standing out in its class. It looks like a great all-rounder, but there are plenty of all-rounders. It'll take great photos like other cameras that take great photos. I'm not sure how well it will do commercially, but I think for Nikon fans who have been waiting for a modern mirrorless with a retro take they are happy, and should be. I think it's a good package at the price, maybe minus the native mirrorless lens lineup. Anyone who buys it for whatever reason I'm sure will be happy.

@SpruceBruce

I know what you mean about getting that same FF equivalent, especially on those wider ends. I think a FF would have made a lot of sense here, as a retro body is asking to be used with vintage lenses, and people will want the same FoV as on their film bodies. That's one reason I hang onto the K-1. It's so fun to swap between film and digital with the same lens and get the same FoV. Lenses are still awesome on APSC, just harder on the wide end unless it's APSC specific glass.

@kankrat

I do wonder how it would feel. Being lighter should make the grip (or lack thereof) less of an issue, and it has a teeny bit more than film bodies. But the lightness might also give away how different it is from a film body. Silly thing, but it's nice feeling the heft of a metal film body in your hands. Even if you do need to add a grip, haha.

It's the kind of thing I'd be willing to pick up in five or so years for less than half the price. Not because it isn't good, because I'm cheap. I think it's priced perfectly in the market right now. Just like others have mentioned it doesn't offer anything new to the table. But I think for what they did they executed it perfectly. Well. Maybe except for the way the screen flips out, but appealing to a wider market was a smarter move there probably.

Sometimes I wish Pentax did something similar just for kicks... a digital MX or LX. But this time, make it FF for the vintage glass 😉

Happy snappin' 🙂
Page 1 of 3Next