Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Greetings from Germany

I'm Marcello, 23 years old and picked up photography as a more serious hobby for a while now. I started shooting with a trusty Praktica LB that I bought used for a great price.

Recently, I transitioned into the digital world and I love it. It helped me to shoot more pictures and experiment even more. Currently, I have a Lumix GX1 (which I searched for after seeing the video about it) with an okayish kit lens and a great 45-200 mm lens, but I'm thinking of making my own adapters to be able to use some older lenses.

Since I live near a huge forest and love biking out there, I do some "wildlife" photography but also enjoy doing street photography.

(Sorry for the poor quality of the sample images, I had to compress them, because I do not have a Flickr account yet.)

Kind regards

Marcello

Uploaded files:
  • 1160698.jpg
  • 1160732.jpg
  • P1160421.jpg
James Warner, JBP and EckyH have reacted to this post.
James WarnerJBPEckyH

Hello and welcome from Nottuln. You made a nice start here with your images. 🙂

A friend of mine has got the predecessor (GF1) of your GX1 and he is very satisfied with the camera as a small "Immerdabei-Kamera". So your camera is very capable - good choice.

There are some really good and relatively cheap lenses in the MFT system. My copy of the Panasonic 12-35/3.5-5.6 is very good and remarkably sharp and the Panasonic 25/1.7 is also a fairly good prime. Perhaps that is worth a consideration for you.

If you resize the images before uploading (eg. to maximum 1280 by 1280 pixels) then there is not as much compression necessary and probably the image quality is better.

Have fun here.

E.

Uplaxer has reacted to this post.
Uplaxer
Veni, vidi, serravi.
Quote from EckyH on June 10, 2023, 11:23 am

Hello and welcome from Nottuln. You made a nice start here with your images. 🙂

A friend of mine has got the predecessor (GF1) of your GX1 and he is very satisfied with the camera as a small "Immerdabei-Kamera". So your camera is very capable - good choice.

There are some really good and relatively cheap lenses in the MFT system. My copy of the Panasonic 12-35/3.5-5.6 is very good and remarkably sharp and the Panasonic 25/1.7 is also a fairly good prime. Perhaps that is worth a consideration for you.

If you resize the images before uploading (eg. to maximum 1280 by 1280 pixels) then there is not as much compression necessary and probably the image quality is better.

Have fun here.

E.

Oh yeah, the shorter primes are already on my radar, including the 20mm and the 25mm of Panasonic, but thank you for hinting at the 12-35/3.5-5.6. That lens seems to be very small, which is perfect for an everyday camera. I will definitely have an eye on it.

And thank you for the tip with the image sizes, it will come in handy.

Quote from Uplaxer on June 10, 2023, 8:03 pm

Oh yeah, the shorter primes are already on my radar, including the 20mm and the 25mm of Panasonic

The 20mm is optically very good, no doubt.

But you have to be very patient with that lens. AF is really, really slow and the throw for MF is really, really long (focus by wire). In my experience the lens tends to hunt in low light situations. Therefore I really and strongly recommend that you borrow a copy and try it out before you purchase one...

E.

Veni, vidi, serravi.

Welcome! I'm excited to see your work and have you in our discussions here.

That sounds like a great setup for biking. I am often carrying a camera when I bike as well 🙂 Sometimes mine are less practical than that haha.

The 20mm is very special. The AF is slow, so it just depends how you use it. I was using it as an everyday snap lens with great success, except when my kids were moving around quickly.

My M4/3 lens knowledge is limited, but I also have the panasonic 25mm 1.7 and panasonic 9mm f1.7 and both are fantastic. That 9mm is quite pricey still though, but very nice.

Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from James Warner on June 10, 2023, 11:41 pm

That sounds like a great setup for biking. I am often carrying a camera when I bike as well 🙂 Sometimes mine are less practical than that haha.

The 20mm is very special. The AF is slow, so it just depends how you use it. I was using it as an everyday snap lens with great success, except when my kids were moving around quickly.

My M4/3 lens knowledge is limited, but I also have the panasonic 25mm 1.7 and panasonic 9mm f1.7 and both are fantastic. That 9mm is quite pricey still though, but very nice.

Thanks for the advice about the lenses @james-warner-b and @eckyh. But for the moment, my lenses should be sufficient and furthermore, I want to experiment more with older lenses.

Have you tried using the Peak Design Capture Clip for biking? It seems like a great idea when hiking, but I'm not sure whether it is also suited for biking. It would at least allow for much better camera access and does not obstruct the arms.

Quote from Uplaxer on June 13, 2023, 2:34 pm
Quote from James Warner on June 10, 2023, 11:41 pm

Thanks for the advice about the lenses @james-warner-b and @eckyh. But for the moment, my lenses should be sufficient and furthermore, I want to experiment more with older lenses.

Have you tried using the Peak Design Capture Clip for biking? It seems like a great idea when hiking, but I'm not sure whether it is also suited for biking. It would at least allow for much better camera access and does not obstruct the arms.

The capture clip works great when biking. The smaller and lighter the camera, the more comfortable it is, since the biking position has you slightly hunched over. M4/3 setup would be perfect for this. I also don't take it when I mountain bike rough terrain, but I have taken it off road with a camera clipped in on mostly smooth off road trails. I wouldn't worry so much about it coming out (it's a very good design!) but I do worry about the camera bouncing around and smacking me or my handlebars on some of the rougher stuff I ride.

Uplaxer
Happy snappin' 🙂

Welcome! My mother-in-law is German and my wife was born there so I always enjoy seeing photos from Germany. Such a beautiful country. 🙂

Uplaxer

@james-warner-b Thanks for the honest review I will definitely get a capture clip in the future. Quick access to my camera is needed in the woods near me, the bird (and all the other animals) are so extremely skittish :'(

@jbp Yeah, it is a very interesting country, it can be very diverse concerning nature and culture. Have you visited it once with your wife?

Quote from Uplaxer on June 14, 2023, 8:02 pm

@james-warner-b Thanks for the honest review I will definitely get a capture clip in the future. Quick access to my camera is needed in the woods near me, the bird (and all the other animals) are so extremely skittish :'(

@jbp Yeah, it is a very interesting country, it can be very diverse concerning nature and culture. Have you visited it once with your wife?

I have not but I hope to someday.