Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Got a (Update: Slightly Less) "Vintage" Mirrorless Digital Camera

Page 1 of 2Next

I've shot Micro Four Thirds a lot off and on, but never had this camera: the original OM-D E-M5. It was a revolution when it came out. Still a very capable camera, as long as the build quality holds up!

The lens, on the other hand, I've owned THREE times now, ironically the third one is the only first-gen version I've had. It's a true classic even more so than the E-M5 in my opinion. It almost can't make a bad image, although it gets there slowly what with its AF speed...

Uploaded files:
  • PXL_20210530_193559712.jpg
James Warner, Beau Carpenter and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerBeau CarpenterSpruceBruceGawad
I ramble on sometimes about snap photography, photographic philosophy and equipment! Ye be warned.

Nice! I've never tried an Olympus, but it is definitely on my list. And that lens is 100% one I want to get too, I've hesitated because I already have the 25mm 1.7.

Do you find it to be a better focal length?

SpruceBruce and Gawad have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceGawad

I used an Olympus EM10 for a couple years in the past. Olympus cameras have complicated menus and sometimes some build issues, but they are very cool, they make you want to go take photos, and the colors are really good.

The 20/1.7 is a more comfortable normal lens for me, it gives you some breathing room but still acts like a normal, even though it's closer to a 35mm. I prefer the 20, even just for its rendering and overall feel. It's a bit slower to focus than the 25 however.

I ramble on sometimes about snap photography, photographic philosophy and equipment! Ye be warned.

Can’t wait to see content, I’ve never shot Olympus, I’ve always been intrigued by their system.  My only exposure to the M43 world is my LX100 II.  I keep thinking about exchanging mine for a budget body and good set of interchangeable glass.  If you were to delve into this, what’s some lenses you recommend especially a 24 or 28 equivalent?

The LX100ii is really nice, but it's restricted by the compromises that had to be made with that lens, and you never get to have any "flavor" other than the one you get with that particular optic. M4/3 strength is really the tiny primes, which are just so great.

For 28mm, the Panasonic 14/2.5 is a great choice and THE smallest prime in the system. Also the 12-32/3.5-5.6 is a tiny zoom option that, while slower, is super sharp and the results often look like they were taken with a good prime instead of a cheap kit zoom. There are other 24mm options but I'm not familiar with them by use. The Olympus 12/2 is supposed to be very good.

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce

I'll second the 14mm f2.5!

Generally it lives on my GX85 at f2.8. Nice close focusing for close up if you're into that kind of thing. Like @agentlossing said it is TINY and makes the smaller M4/3 cameras almost pocketable.

On the wider end, I did try out the Laowa 10mm f2 (20mm equivalent), but it had issues glitching out my camera. The field of view was nice and it focused very close. Since it didn't work properly, I didn't keep it around. That being said, Laowa does have a 9mm (18mm equivalent) lens that is fully manual if I remember right and that might be an interesting one given that it is also a zero distortion lens.

SpruceBruce

So, an update to the thread (which I edited the title for) - the EM5 turned out to have a problem, which is rather common with the older OM-D models, where the first frame after waking up the camera or turning it on would be hugely underexposed, or black. Subsequent frames were fine. But I decided that really doesn't work for a camera I'm carrying around which might "fall asleep" between opportunities to take a quick shot (yes, I sometimes style myself a street photographer, groan). Luckily the shop accepts returns so I sent it back, and soon after they listed an EM5 Mark II for $299, just double the price for the old EM5 but considerably newer. I bought it, and it showed up a few days ago.

It's really nice! Super good condition from what I can tell, only around 1240 shots on the shutter count. So it's super fresh. I plan on hanging onto it for a long time, as it probably won't be a "main camera" but just a way to stay in the MFT system and have fun with it. I may end up getting rid of my Pentax KP, we will see. I'll probably start out by getting rid of the Sigma 17-50/2.8 that I bought for it, because I just can't be bothered to lug it around. MFT spoiled me for carrying heavy gear.

Beau Carpenter has reacted to this post.
Beau Carpenter

That seems like a great deal on a great camera! Good to know about that issue to look out for if I buy an older OM-D camera.

SpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂

Sexy shot of the EM5 mark II... Ignore the expensive hipster writing machine (which is really nice actually).

Uploaded files:
  • R0002393-01.jpeg
Beau Carpenter and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterSpruceBruce

No way, haha. I never knew there was such a thing. I got on a kick once with that brand that makes e-ink tablets just for writing/drawing and nothing else. Never purchased one though. Curious if you find yourself using that machine a lot. Looks cool.

Also great shot. It fits the colors and theme really well.

Happy snappin' 🙂
Page 1 of 2Next