Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Fujifilm X20

What is that?

I mean, in a way looks great. In another way i don't get it. But I am tempted to get one.

Now @james-warner-b I need you to get one for cheap (40$ maybe xD) and not tell anyone or it'll raise to 400$ instead. Even though here the cheapests ones are around 150€, but I know you find bargains. And i need to hear your thoughts.

Haha, other than that I feel the bug on "needing" a street photo small thing, and I was tempted by the Panasonic's GX lineup (more likely the gx80 but it's a bit expensive for my bugdet so i thought on the gx7 for example), and then the whole Fujifilm X series appeared in front of my eyes. Being the, of course, X100 series the more aestheticaly beautiful and a "one in all" solution (i mean you get one focal lenght so you better move your arse xD), but then the X-E series came up and I know James tested the X-E1 I think it was. I've heard maybe the X-E2 is a better option, yet it's not that cheap anymore.

So checking checking this X20 thing appeared. It's a non interchangeable lens camera but that has a zoom lens on it. Seems to be a 28-112mm equivalent from f2.0 to f2.4. Similar to the Panasonic LC1 I bought some weeks ago but smaller. (i still have to call the man, i've been busy :S). In a way it's a weird camera. In a way it's a smart thinking camera. I don't know. Do I like it? Do I don't like it?

Who knows? Definitely not me xD

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
My social media: https://linktr.ee/F1photo

I've been down this road before... and I'm still on this road now!

My first camera was the lowly Sony RX100. The original one. Small sensor, zoom lens. Gosh darn it, I loved that thing. It'd slide right into my pocket so I took it everywhere. Got some of my best shots on it too.

Now, I carry around the Fuji x70. A bit chunkier, bit still pocketable. Fixed lens, but an 28mm equivalent f/2.8 on an APS-C sized sensor. I'm honestly almost never without it.

I personally would really root for an x20. It has the small form factor, zoom lens, and small sensor of the RX100, but the film simulations and sensor technology of an x70.

But, it's still up to you to decide if it would be right for you. I wouldn't give up my x70 for an x20, but if I only had an x20 I would use the crap out of it!

James Warner, SpruceBruce and Daniel Gonzalez have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBruceDaniel Gonzalez
Ever striving for minimum competency

Thank you guys,

Your opinions are very interesting 🙂

I was more thinking on a carry on with a fixed lens, yet you can keep the lens as is at 28mm and play like if it was a fixed one and you have a zoom on it.

You are convincing myself 😛

I bought a X20 last autumn and it is a very solid little beast. It is quite hefty, though and there are plenty others in the same category to choose from as well, such as the Lumix LX7, the Oly XZ1/2 and some of  later the Canon Gs. The Lumix and Olys comes without LVFs, but with the possibility to use external ones.

I have quite a few of them, but the one I seem to be drawn to and carries more than any other are the LX7, to the tune of having grabbed 3 of them as well as two of the LVFs.

Not entierly sure about how to upload to this forum, but I`ll give it a try, one file from each of the four cameras mentioned, from top to bottom: LX7, Canon G15, XZ1 and X20

Uploaded files:
  • LX7.jpg
  • G15.jpg
  • XZ11.jpg
  • X201.jpg
SpruceBruce, Daniel Gonzalez and EckyH have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceDaniel GonzalezEckyH
Best regards, JensM "If your photographic interest is taking photos of a brick wall, in dim light. This may not be the lens for you" - David Thorpe
Quote from Cory Maben on March 1, 2023, 9:16 pm

I love the color on the 2nd photo f the trees. Also your first photo of a flower when opened, is of a marina? I'm not sure what's going on there.

Not entirely sure, either.

The two photos from the XZ1 and the X20 has shown other photos than I was exporting and uploading, but it looks ok on my side of things now.

Top shot shout be a autumn shot, the next is a mural, then a marina and a sunset.

Daniel Gonzalez has reacted to this post.
Daniel Gonzalez
Best regards, JensM "If your photographic interest is taking photos of a brick wall, in dim light. This may not be the lens for you" - David Thorpe
Quote from JensM on March 1, 2023, 9:21 pm
Quote from Cory Maben on March 1, 2023, 9:16 pm

I love the color on the 2nd photo f the trees. Also your first photo of a flower when opened, is of a marina? I'm not sure what's going on there.

Not entirely sure, either.

The two photos from the XZ1 and the X20 has shown other photos than I was exporting and uploading, but it looks ok on my side of things now.

Top shot shout be a autumn shot, the next is a mural, then a marina and a sunset.

Thank you Jens, lots of info I was missing !!!

So the one you like the most is the GX7 as an overall? I have been also checking it to be honest.  **Okay you mention the LX7 not the G. Sorry, my mistake.

The XZ1 I did not know it, and Canons I wasn't particularly looking after any so will check them too.

I have to say I also like the looks and the rangefinder thing on the X20 and other Fujifilms, to be honest. I feel a bit snob but I bought a Yashica MG-1 film rangefinder and i quite liked the experience. Now that film has been back to expensive, once I have seen that those cameras exist well I found them very interesting.

Thank you also for the samples 🙂

JensM has reacted to this post.
JensM

Hah! I read "GX7" and thought you said "G7X" which is a camera I have and can talk about. A moment of dyslexia I guess! Anyway, this is a fun topic and something I've been thinking about myself. The Canon G7Xii I have is a perfect pocket camera but it doesn't give me the fizz like some other cameras do - I think mostly because it doesn't have a viewfinder.

Anyway, I wrote the wall of text below when I thought you had mentioned the Canon... feel free to ignore if it's not under consideration at all! 🙂

I haven't used most of these cameras, but I do have the Canon G7Xii and can say it is a pretty great pocket camera. Just some random impressions about it: It's amazingly small but you can get a really solid comfortable grip on it, and it feels like a quality camera. The AF is pretty amazing - it focuses lightning fast and finds and locks onto faces super confidently. The tilt screen, controls (it has auto ISO mode! TAv! A must have for me!), and image quality are all great. It's super responsive, powers on fast, and I love the exposure compensation dial location. You can use that dial one handed if need be. The pop up flash can be tilted back for a bit of bounce flash. I shoot it RAW+JPEG but typically go with the JPEGs. The colors are really nice. If I need to crop a lot or recover shadows the RAW files are surprisingly workable, just don't expect K-3 levels of recovery. The battery lasts forever.  It has a macro focus mode and can take some respectable macro shots too. I don't like that it has no viewfinder, and I find it impossible to take just one photo in even the slowest continuous shooting drive mode. 😆

Honestly if it were my only camera I would be able to do 90% of what I want with photography, but it doesn't give me the joy a DSLR does. But I think if they had squeezed in a viewfinder it would be the perfect "everyday carry" camera for me. I put together a gallery with photos I've taken with it here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/31851089@N00/albums/72177720306440837/with/52272992803/

Daniel Gonzalez and JensM have reacted to this post.
Daniel GonzalezJensM