Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Fujifilm X-E1 on loan, any tips?

Page 1 of 2Next

I have a Fujifilm X-E1 coming in on loan for a few weeks (thanks Kevin, if you see this). I know it's one people have requested for a long time to try out and make a video on. And if I'm not mistaken a few of you have this or similar Fuji's, so I thought I'd ask what you suggest me trying? Any settings I should play with? Subjects I should focus on? Editing tips?

I'll have some lenses to adapt to try out, and I bought an adapter to play with my Pentax Auto 110 lenses.

Can't wait to try it out! I owned an Xpro1 for about a month a few years ago but never got around to really testing it. This will be a good time to try out fuji again and see what my thoughts are.

Beau Carpenter, SpruceBruce and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterSpruceBruceJBPEckyH
Happy snappin' 🙂

Nice! I've not had experience with that particular model, but I do have an X-T1 (Second time owning it) and I think something unique to Fuji cameras is the Dynamic Range (DR) settings. Here's a good explainer video on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjjCa73XxsY

I originally thought it was only for JPEGs, but it really does change the raw files. Pretty neat setting.

That's the only thing that stands out at the moment, but I'll keep thinking on it!

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP

That'll be fun, @james-warner-b! I haven't used an X-E1, but, as a Fuji user (X100F again, now and... forever?), I'll be curious to hear how you like it! In my time(s) with an X-T1 (at work) and my own X-E2s (which has now once again left the building), I did feel like the camera would blow out the highlights a bit, and go a bit overboard with ISO when using auto ISO, so, that's something to look out for. (Weirdly, I compared and the X-T1 was the worse offender in that, even though it supposedly had the same sensor as the X-E2s). Anyway, I typically would keep the exposure comp clicked down a click.

Looks like the X-E1 doesn't have Classic Chrome film simulation, but it'd be fun to see if you come up with a formula you like. You're likely aware of this awesome site with Fuji recipes: https://fujixweekly.com/fujifilm-x-trans-i-recipes/

Last, if you decide to keep it or get one, I definitely recommend the XC 35mm f2 lens. Easily found for under $200, super light, wicked sharp, and produces that nice buttery Fuji look. That's how I've described those earlier Fujis: "buttery." (Why did I never take any pictures of butter??)

Anyway, just rambling now; enjoy it!

Quote from Beau Carpenter on August 3, 2022, 7:30 pm

I think something unique to Fuji cameras is the Dynamic Range (DR) settings. Here's a good explainer video on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjjCa73XxsY

I originally thought it was only for JPEGs, but it really does change the raw files. Pretty neat setting.

That's the only thing that stands out at the moment, but I'll keep thinking on it!

That's interesting, because I think that Pentax cameras have got a similar feature - the "Dynamic Range Expansion" at least from the K-7 onwards: https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/digital/k-7/feature_6.html (in the middle of that page).

Thanks for bringing that up.

E.

Beau Carpenter has reacted to this post.
Beau Carpenter
Veni, vidi, serravi.

It's nice! Good fun camera. If it's x-trans, don't bother with raw - I couldn't get them looking right... Jpegs were fine and edit well enough for most purposes anyway 🙂 (edit: I had an xe-2 but it's not all that different, just not sure if it's x-trans or not!).

Oh, biggest tip for fuji cameras - all fuji jpegs have noise reduction I think. Turn it down as much as possible! Otherwise things look... Smoooooooth. Waxy. Turn it right down and it's not a problem anymore.

I liked some lenses, but honestly, they're more fun adapting old lenses to. I did like the 23mm 1.4 a lot, though.

I don't have anything to contribute here except that I know folks swear by the early X-Trans 1 and 2 sensors as being, specifically, the best for color & "that Fuji look."

The X-E1 has the X-Trans 1. Sadly too old for most of the most interesting Fuji recipes. But you can still find some here.

My X-M1 has the same sensor. That's a camera I haven't used much. There's just something about the ergonomics I don't love, but I also don't dislike enough to sell (yet). I keep meaning to give it the real college try so really looking forward to your video!

Quote from ThePrettyDamned on August 3, 2022, 8:39 pm

It's nice! Good fun camera. If it's x-trans, don't bother with raw - I couldn't get them looking right... Jpegs were fine and edit well enough for most purposes anyway 🙂 (edit: I had an xe-2 but it's not all that different, just not sure if it's x-trans or not!).

Huh. Was it recently that you had this problem with the raw files? I thought they had resolved that these days…

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce

Great tips everyone! I'm excited to get snappin' with it. The recipes are a good idea. I can't remember what my Xpro1 came with but it wasn't very much either. I believe the X-E1 was the second X mount camera to release so probably just as bare bones in that respect.

@denniscrommett your fuji shots always look so dreamy. I guess it's just the photographer, but I am excited all the same to try and replicate some of that look 😀 Unfortunantly this South Texas drought has only gotten worse and things are seriously dead. The lake I go to for wildlife is almost completely dried up! Something I've never seen or heard of ever happening with it. So, it may be Fuji meets dead drought ridden Texas, but we'll make it work.

SpruceBruce, ahoyhere and EckyH have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceahoyhereEckyH
Happy snappin' 🙂

Aw man, well thank you @james-warner-b, that is incredibly nice, and boy I know what you mean about drought; sorry you're going through it too. We've had it rough even here in MA. Maybe that's something we could take on as a photo project: documenting, and maybe even finding beauty in, the drought? Just a thought. Anyway, looking forward to hearing about the X-E1!

Quote from ahoyhere on August 3, 2022, 10:36 pm

I don't have anything to contribute here except that I know folks swear by the early X-Trans 1 and 2 sensors as being, specifically, the best for color & "that Fuji look."

The X-E1 has the X-Trans 1. Sadly too old for most of the most interesting Fuji recipes. But you can still find some here.

My X-M1 has the same sensor. That's a camera I haven't used much. There's just something about the ergonomics I don't love, but I also don't dislike enough to sell (yet). I keep meaning to give it the real college try so really looking forward to your video!

Quote from ThePrettyDamned on August 3, 2022, 8:39 pm

Huh. Was it recently that you had this problem with the raw files? I thought they had resolved that these days…

Yeah, I had an X100T and sold it about 2 months ago. I tried capture one as well, which was slightly better, but the colours were always a bit weird and the sharpening wasn't great. It's not surprising, really, but it was a shame. The xt2 was the best of the bunch for me, having more pixels meant less sharpening needed and the colours that came from the raw demosaic were perfectly good, but still a bit weird - it contrasted with sonycanikon where the colours are always spot on and easy to play with and they sharpen up just like normal.

All in my opinion etc. I used the xt2 for a couple of years, but wound up mostly shooting jpegs. Then I got a Canon 6D and it was so much easier to get the colours I wanted because I could shoot raw again.

Ooo apparently using enhance details works well. I remember using this once or twice but it was a bit slow and cumbersome, but here is an article that discusses fuji editing options that's quite recent, including lightroom+enhance details dng conversion.

https://blog.thomasfitzgeraldphotography.com/blog/2022/1/processing-fujifilm-raw-files-in-2022-the-best-solutions

Page 1 of 2Next