Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro, breaking the ice into the 6MP CCD club.

I saw this old and tired Fuji DSLR at my local camera shop today, and a nice $40 I couldn’t say no.  Well its more a Nikon F80 with a Fuji sensor basically.  This is my first foray into the 6MP realm, I’m excited to see what I can photograph with this old setup.  The buffer is atrociously slow, and the LCD is tiny and very low res.  I paired it with my old Pre AI 35mm F2.8 and 28-80 plastic fantastic from my N65. Just a few sample photos from driving around town, nothing more exciting than wild rice, corn, cattle pastures, and blue bird skies of South Minnesota.  I’m impressed that I was able to get such good dynamic range out of a 20 year old sensor.

Uploaded files:
  • 5492CACA-A64D-445E-97B7-BBD8BBA3B65A.jpeg
  • FA515042-2BFF-4935-8D11-CEDCC13353A5.jpeg
  • 9EE84A73-F2CA-4209-AF1E-4BB0E77FEBE6.jpeg
  • 92DA32BB-2C43-41B4-A4CA-2820E3DFCAC5.jpeg
  • 23FE41B7-21B3-4D40-ADC0-2392EF7FB8F1.jpeg
Tristan Carlos, Justin Tung and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
Tristan CarlosJustin TungBeau CarpenterGawadEye.n.Eye

these are sooo good ♥️

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce

Wow that blue just punches!

SpruceBruce
Ever striving for minimum competency

I don’t blame you!! $40 and I wouldn’t have had to think about it too much either. 😀 What a sweet weird old camera. I have had Fujifilm DSLRs on my radar almost more for the novelty of saying you have a Fujifilm DSLR nowadays (sort of like the Olympus DSLR I bought).

Nice pictures. I agree that it handled the bright clouds and dark cows (for example) really well. Should be loads of good fun in that guy.

I don’t know if it’s this guy (S2)? But there’s an interesting read here for anybody interested…

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FinePix_S2_Pro

Beau Carpenter and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterSpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from Snappy on September 10, 2021, 12:28 pm

I don’t blame you!! $40 and I wouldn’t have had to think about it too much either. 😀 What a sweet weird old camera. I have had Fujifilm DSLRs on my radar almost more for the novelty of saying you have a Fujifilm DSLR nowadays (sort of like the Olympus DSLR I bought).

Nice pictures. I agree that it handled the bright clouds and dark cows (for example) really well. Should be loads of good fun in that guy.

I don’t know if it’s this guy (S2)? But there’s an interesting read here for anybody interested…

That's it! I was so enthralled with it, and just couldn't say no. They had a Kodak NC2000 too, but someone literally bought it on the ebay auction the camera shop had while I was playing with it.  That thing was massive! Here's a sample photo of it from a Google search

Uploaded files:
  • Kodak-AP-NC2000_5afbfa41ea0bcc48b7a6bda9de34d853.jpg
James Warner has reacted to this post.
James Warner
Quote from SpruceBruce on September 10, 2021, 6:03 pm

That's it! I was so enthralled with it, and just couldn't say no. They had a Kodak NC2000 too, but someone literally bought it on the ebay auction the camera shop had while I was playing with it.  That thing was massive! Here's a sample photo of it from a Google search

I guess that's one of the nice things of having a local used camera store like that. Get to handle some weird stuff. The only one I've found carries 2016 mirrorless cameras as their oldest cameras. Good prices, just not super interesting.

Looking forward to more of the Fuji when you have the chance to get out again.

SpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from Snappy on September 11, 2021, 9:46 pm
Quote from SpruceBruce on September 10, 2021, 6:03 pm

I guess that's one of the nice things of having a local used camera store like that. Get to handle some weird stuff. The only one I've found carries 2016 mirrorless cameras as their oldest cameras. Good prices, just not super interesting.

Looking forward to more of the Fuji when you have the chance to get out again.

Yeah, I just hope that they'll continue to stay in business, especially with their selection in the Midwest. They say that the big box stores really hurt their business. One of the lab techs told me that they have customers drive from Iowa, South and North Dakota, and Wisconsin just to browse their used selection.

Our nights are dipping into the lower 40s here already, only a month and a half left til the long winter. And the trees are starting to transition to their fall colors. Excited to see what this sensor can do with them. My only negative with it so far, it doesn't handle overexposed highlights and whites well.