Please or Register to create posts and topics.

First thoughts on my "new" Sony a350

PreviousPage 4 of 4

You can usually deal with the colour in noise using colour noise reduction - it works really well, and doesn't really do anything to affect the quality of the image. It won't help with full-on colour casts that pushed sensors tend to do in dark areas, however.

I'm mostly not a fan of ccd sensors because they are a lot less practical, and I'm yet to be convinced ccd means better colour as it's still a file produced through computational interpretation of data via a Bayer filter, but I think it's fantastic that a fun, quirky camera can be bought with quality lenses so cheaply. It makes digital photography more accessible, and that can only be a good thing. The Sony 35mm 1.8 can be had fairly affordably for a more modern sharp prime, and the 16-50 2.8 is also pretty affordable for a fast, general purpose zoom 🙂 in fact, you can pick up a Sony a350 and 35mm 1.8 lens for about £100, and if portraits is your thing you can find the 50mm 1.8 SAM lens even cheaper!

If you want a better handling Sony, the more modern slrs like the incredible a900 and a850 or the a77 will all get you that slightly better handling I think. The a900 has the best viewfinder of any SLR ever in my opinion - it's absolutely incredible, and I've no idea why only the a900 and a850 had such spectacular viewfinders. Odd thing to wax lyrical about, but they are amazing! Both have the same 24mp cmos so image quality is excellent, although the noise levels are not like the next generation of 20mp+ sensors.

You can usually deal with the colour in noise using colour noise reduction - it works really well, and doesn't really do anything to affect the quality of the image.

I have to walk back my excitement about monochromatic noise on the A390. I realized after posting that Photoshop ACR automatically defaults to some color noise reduction (25%). Dial that back down to zero, and there's plenty of chroma noise. So maybe this aspect of the camera isn't as exciting as I'd hoped, but to @ThePrettyDamned's point, it's nice to have these noise reduction options. The same slider can also remove the color noise from the E500's raw files, making usable shots at higher ISOs possible with that camera too.

Uploaded files:
  • Screen-Shot-2022-11-26-at-10.08.50-AM.png
SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
PreviousPage 4 of 4