Please or Register to create posts and topics.

First thoughts on my "new" Sony a350

PreviousPage 2 of 4Next

It is certainly a lens that is cheap for what it is. It's very solid - a proper metal lens, comparable to the Canon L lens 70-200 f4 (although obviously much less sharp and less contrasty than that very modern lens) and the autofocus is accurate and quick enough on the slr.

That's a really interesting modification - I wonder if Sony would take note and consider buying the tech from them to produce it themselves.

It's not all good news with the camera - I'm using colour noise reduction to reduce the amount of odd colour artifacts on images (which doesn't seem to touch detail or go smeary at all, no idea how it works!) but that leaves me with a somewhat textured looking grain that's quite attractive and film-like. The difference then is that the grain is neutral coloured where colour film has some colourful crystals, but I prefer the colourless textured look anyway.

Build of the camera is not quite as good as hoped - the grip, while substantial, can flex ever so slightly if you squeeze too tight. Not really important, but it again makes me wish Sony had provided a bit of weather sealing and more metal in the frame for this camera.

Nonetheless, I really love it. Going to shoot some black and white today, still raw but preview in black and white tends to help me to "see" in black and white.

Next lenses on my list - the 35mm 1.8 SAM, the minolta 50mm 1.4, and the Sony 16-50mm 2.8. I could pick up all three for about £250 with patience.

There is also an 85mm 1.4 I'd love, but they held value somewhat, especially as the world is obsessed with background blur these days. Perhaps I'll try the 85mm 2.8 SAM.

Couple more. Shot raw, edited in lightroom classic. Vignette added in post 😉

Uploaded files:
  • summer-23-of-83.jpg
  • summer-77-of-83-2.jpg
SpruceBruce, grover and Bart Kerste have reacted to this post.
SpruceBrucegroverBart Kerste

The black and white photo is really beautiful.

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Within the limits of my equipment consciously looking for painting with light.

Lovely shots! I had an a290 for a while, which I think uses the same sensor (it's certainly a 14mp CCD) and, while I was pleased with its output, I couldn't stand the ergonomics. One dial?! ONE? Having only used Pentax DSLRs before (the K-50, K-5, and K10D), the a290 also felt distinctly "budget" to me. A bit too light to be reassuring.

But damn, the A mount makes it all worth it. I WISH Minolta glass could be effectively adapted to Pentax cameras. I also wish that the Sony a700, an altogether more premium camera of the a350's vintage, had stuck with a CCD sensor. I've been eyeing up the Minolta 7D...

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce

Wow!! Absolutely splendid colors! Like… beyond beyond 😍 What a find!

@grover, ooh that lens does sound good. I had stumbled across the A390 (having missed this thread somehow!) and was dithering about whether I should get yet another DSLR body I don't have any lenses for but the beer can's price is RIGHT.

Still enjoying it, despite the plasticky feel. It's light and works great! It's nice having limitations. Used it with the 70-210mm for reach at a wildlife park, and it's challenging shooting at iso 400 or below at f4 but the ibis is actually helpful - when the animals hold still!

This is a quick mobile phone edit (mostly colour, contrast and a functional but rough removal of a bad distraction in the background). I like it though, so this will get a more detailed edit on the pc tomorrow.

Uploaded files:
  • Shepreth-part-2-36-of-119.jpg
Quote from ThePrettyDamned on June 17, 2022, 5:20 am

It's not all good news with the camera - I'm using colour noise reduction to reduce the amount of odd colour artifacts on images (which doesn't seem to touch detail or go smeary at all, no idea how it works!) but that leaves me with a somewhat textured looking grain that's quite attractive and film-like. The difference then is that the grain is neutral coloured where colour film has some colourful crystals, but I prefer the colourless textured look anyway.

Yes! I don't know how Color Noise Reduction does its magic but it really is incredible at making CCDs hold up. The Olympus E-x00 cameras need it as well and it works just as perfectly as you describe.

I've also been using it aggressively (100%) on my 13mp full frame Kodak DSLR too, which is a very early CMOS and much more CCD-like in its rendering. It's prone to aberration-like noise around highlights and edges (regardless of lens) and CNR makes it all go away.

ThePrettyDamned has reacted to this post.
ThePrettyDamned

Barely tweaked the colours here just refocused the greens to be more calm and less bright and saturated. Lovely camera and lens. I wish it was in a tougher body!

Uploaded files:
  • Shepreth-part-2-14-of-15.jpg
SpruceBruce and Just take the shot have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceJust take the shot

You can't beat a Meerkat shot. Taken on a Panasonic G7. I could have sworn I had the 350 on this outing.

Uploaded files:
  • Meerkat.jpg
James Warner and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBruce

I enjoyed this informative thread. I have an A390 arriving here tomorrow. It was between that and the A350. Both cameras seem to be going for about the same on eBay (actually, the A350 may be going for slightly more). Ultimately, I made the decision based on the shutter button placement that the OP pointed out, even though I think the A350's grip looks a little nicer to hold.

The craziest thing to me is that I was able to get the camera body AND the three Minolta lenses I was most interested in (28mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.7, 70-210mm f/4) for less than $200. I've had my eye on this camera for five or so years now, and the prices continued to fall so I finally decided to go for it. I am looking forward to seeing how this looks next to my Olympus E-500. My camera cabinet is running out of room, so I may only keep one -- two legacy CCD DSLR systems seems a little excessive for my collection.

ThePrettyDamned has reacted to this post.
ThePrettyDamned
PreviousPage 2 of 4Next