Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Finally got a new camera for video

Just pulled the trigger after saving for a while on a Panasonic G85. I think the G7 is a great deal right now at $300 used, but I got the G85 for $400 and felt like I would get along with it for the long term a little bit better.

A little bit of background. Before I started my YouTube channel I had a GH3 for a bit and really liked it, but decided I wasn't shooting enough video to justify having it and my Pentax cameras. Now I'm shooting a lot of videos, and while my Pentax cameras are doing just fine shooting video, there are some things that a camera with more proper video features will help more do more easily.

Why the G85? Like I said, I actually think the G7 is the better steal in some ways these days. For what you get it seems like an incredible value. But the G85 having IBIS and weather sealing seemed worth the extra $100. Maybe not. Maybe I've just upsold myself on something I didn't need. 🤣 Really anything will be better than what I'm working with.

I went with m43 for a few reasons. One, the cost per video quality is kinda the best you can get. I could see some good arguments being made against that, but it would be hard to get anything else spec'd like the G85 for $400 right now. Two, the lenses I am interested in are much cheaper than other systems. Three, size. The cameras and lenses are so small. If I go out and film myself I will already be needing to bring another fullsize camera to do my photography, so the video setup needed to be very compact.

Ill update this thread as it comes and I get some first impressions with it. Excited to have a dedicated video camera again after this last almost two years of not. 🙂

Tristan Carlos, Justin Tung and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
Tristan CarlosJustin TungBeau CarpenterSpruceBruceGawad
Happy snappin' 🙂

Nice! I hope you like it

I have used the G7 and GX85 extensively for years. I never bought a G85 simply because of the price point. If the IBIS is anything like the GX85 (Which I've read that it is) it will be phenomenal.

James Warner and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBruce
Quote from Snappy on August 27, 2021, 5:16 pm

Just pulled the trigger after saving for a while on a Panasonic G85. I think the G7 is a great deal right now at $300 used, but I got the G85 for $400 and felt like I would get along with it for the long term a little bit better.

A little bit of background. Before I started my YouTube channel I had a GH3 for a bit and really liked it, but decided I wasn't shooting enough video to justify having it and my Pentax cameras. Now I'm shooting a lot of videos, and while my Pentax cameras are doing just fine shooting video, there are some things that a camera with more proper video features will help more do more easily.

Why the G85? Like I said, I actually think the G7 is the better steal in some ways these days. For what you get it seems like an incredible value. But the G85 having IBIS and weather sealing seemed worth the extra $100. Maybe not. Maybe I've just upsold myself on something I didn't need. 🤣 Really anything will be better than what I'm working with.

I went with m43 for a few reasons. One, the cost per video quality is kinda the best you can get. I could see some good arguments being made against that, but it would be hard to get anything else spec'd like the G85 for $400 right now. Two, the lenses I am interested in are much cheaper than other systems. Three, size. The cameras and lenses are so small. If I go out and film myself I will already be needing to bring another fullsize camera to do my photography, so the video setup needed to be very compact.

Ill update this thread as it comes and I get some first impressions with it. Excited to have a dedicated video camera again after this last almost two years of not. 🙂

I think you'll love it. I have basically the same layout and menu system on the LX100, minus the exp comp and shutter speed dials. Plus I'm curious to see what you can do with the interchangeable lenses available to M43.

Quote from Beau Carpenter on August 27, 2021, 6:51 pm

Nice! I hope you like it

I have used the G7 and GX85 extensively for years. I never bought a G85 simply because of the price point. If the IBIS is anything like the GX85 (Which I've read that it is) it will be phenomenal.

Good. It doesn’t have to be great, because the only other video IBIS I have to compare is Pentax which doesn’t play too nicely in video (though awesome for stills). In fact, I could have bought a GH3 again and been happy. I spoiled myself, I guess. But should be a good investment I think. From what I’ve read both the G7 and G85 are very well built, but the G85 does have that weather sealing so that just makes me think it’ll last even longer. Loved every Panasonic product I’ve used so far.

Quote from SpruceBruce on August 27, 2021, 7:33 pm
Quote from Snappy on August 27, 2021, 5:16 pm

I think you'll love it. I have basically the same layout and menu system on the LX100, minus the exp comp and shutter speed dials. Plus I'm curious to see what you can do with the interchangeable lenses available to M43.

There are so many cool lenses available! Sub $100 7Artisan and whatever the other brands are look so fun to play with. I will also of course adapt Pentax glass and my 110 lenses.

I bought it with the kit 12-60 lens which looks nice, but unfortunately not fast enough for some of my use cases, so I’ll be selling it off. I just saw in my months of lurking that you could get a much better deal over body only if you bought it with the lens and flipped the lens, which is what I plan to do here.

Beau Carpenter and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterSpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂

Came in the mail today and I played around with the settings. I think I have it set up the way I like. Still not sure if I will start with an in camera profile I like or try to use the cine-d like and try grading again now that I can actually have gradable footage.

But so far it's amazing how much clearer the video is compared to my Pentax! I think the soft video was never taking away from my YouTube channel, and in some ways it kinda had a nice effect. But this will open a lot of new doors for creativity.

Uploaded files:
  • PXL_20210830_200219903.PORTRAIT.jpg
Beau Carpenter has reacted to this post.
Beau Carpenter
Happy snappin' 🙂

Looking forward to hearing more of your experience with it! I think that M4/3 still has a great place in today's world especially when it comes to budget video setups & compact camera setups.

With my G7, I really like the standard or natural profile. The only other big thing that comes to mind is making sure to set the white balance in camera with a gray card. I'm sure you already know that, think you had mentioned it in your video about filming with Pentax cameras.

Quote from Beau Carpenter on August 31, 2021, 1:39 pm

Looking forward to hearing more of your experience with it! I think that M4/3 still has a great place in today's world especially when it comes to budget video setups & compact camera setups.

With my G7, I really like the standard or natural profile. The only other big thing that comes to mind is making sure to set the white balance in camera with a gray card. I'm sure you already know that, think you had mentioned it in your video about filming with Pentax cameras.

Yes. I am about to film this week's upcoming video and made sure to set WB, set the profile the way I want, still playing with mic levels but not peaking so that's the most important. Very much a beginner at all this but Everytime I fail it makes a good lesson learned that I'll never make again!

Hopefully in the coming months I'll do more run and gun filming and I'll have to play with the settings for that. Fun stuff!

And I very much agree about m43 for video. From all my research I just couldn't find a better quality product for the price. There are some APSC models that fall into this price range, but once you take into account the actually quality of the video, features like stabilization if you want it, and then the lens availability/price, m43 wins. I think at least. Maybe I'll change my mind one day xD

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂