Please or Register to create posts and topics.

film scan at home (latest video)

just finished watching the latest video on the channel about scanning film negatives and it was really thorough and informative so thank you Snappiness for the amazing content as always 😀

it's a nice coincidence since I had just ordered an extension tube to help me with scanning and thought I'd share my favorite attempt and scanning film at home which was of a photo my friend's father had taken and we found while going through some older albums and negatives.

used darktable for this, again thanks snappiness for introducing me to negadoctor 😀

the resolution isn't that great hence the need for a macro option.

if anyone is curious this was taken with a 50mmf/1.4fd with a phone screen for a light source.

James Warner, Beau Carpenter and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerBeau CarpenterSpruceBruceHerd

Nice and timely then 🙂 the extension tubes should help just increase the resolution since you won't have to crop as much. Good investment. Much cheaper than a macro lens.

Another thing I forgot to mention in the video clearly was that if you use a phone screen to make sure it has some distance between it and the film, an inch or two. Or else the screens pixel pattern or whatever it is will should up as a funny texture on the film scan. Not sure if you're doing that already, but in case you run into any trouble with that you can try it.

SpruceBruce and Gawad have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceGawad
Happy snappin' 🙂

thank you for the advice it was helpful and I made sure to tell it to my friends who are interested in scanning their own film.

also I'm really excited for the macro extension tube but that's coming from aliexpress so it will probably take a while but I'll make sure to share some of the results here when I do get it.

James Warner has reacted to this post.
James Warner
Quote from Gawad on June 1, 2021, 5:11 am

thank you for the advice it was helpful and I made sure to tell it to my friends who are interested in scanning their own film.

also I'm really excited for the macro extension tube but that's coming from aliexpress so it will probably take a while but I'll make sure to share some of the results here when I do get it.

Haha, I order things from places like that sometimes. Cheapest way. Just takes a few months sometimes.

Gawad has reacted to this post.
Gawad
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from Snappy on May 31, 2021, 2:13 pm

Nice and timely then 🙂 the extension tubes should help just increase the resolution since you won't have to crop as much. Good investment. Much cheaper than a macro lens.

Another thing I forgot to mention in the video clearly was that if you use a phone screen to make sure it has some distance between it and the film, an inch or two. Or else the screens pixel pattern or whatever it is will should up as a funny texture on the film scan. Not sure if you're doing that already, but in case you run into any trouble with that you can try it.

Alternatively, you can also put a layer of diffusion of between, like a thin sheet of white paper or a frosted milk carton!

Gawad has reacted to this post.
Gawad
Quote from Gawad on June 1, 2021, 5:11 am

Keep in mind the way an extension tube will change the way your camera exposes. Trying to keep ISO low and having a sharp aperture might be tricky with an extension tube, but shouldn't be a problem with a decent backlight.

Ever striving for minimum competency

I'll also be using a timer on the camera to avoid shakes so longer shutter speeds won't be a problem