Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Film mystery boxes, would you ever do one?

I just saw that Roberts Cameras started a new service called Film Fix https://usedphotopro.com/film-fix

It's a monthly subscription to get random films and potentially other small things. I've seen stuff like this before, but have never paid the price because of the obvious premium you are paying for the novelty. Assuming you got some $12+ rolls you would be breaking even, but I would imagine that you may get one and a lesser one other times. Not because you are being ripped off, but once again you are paying for the novelty of mystery film and trying new film.

Would you ever do a service like this? Thoughts?

Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from Snappy on September 2, 2021, 2:43 pm

I just saw that Roberts Cameras started a new service called Film Fix https://usedphotopro.com/film-fix

It's a monthly subscription to get random films and potentially other small things. I've seen stuff like this before, but have never paid the price because of the obvious premium you are paying for the novelty. Assuming you got some $12+ rolls you would be breaking even, but I would imagine that you may get one and a lesser one other times. Not because you are being ripped off, but once again you are paying for the novelty of mystery film and trying new film.

Saw someone did it on Reddit and it sent them Kodak Gold, so I'd be hesitant to try it.  I think alot of novelty films are actually just Ilford, Fomapan, Kodak that are cut from master rolls or rebranded.

Justin Tung has reacted to this post.
Justin Tung
Quote from SpruceBruce on September 2, 2021, 7:57 pm

Saw someone did it on Reddit and it sent them Kodak Gold, so I'd be hesitant to try it.  I think alot of novelty films are actually just Ilford, Fomapan, Kodak that are cut from master rolls or rebranded.

What a fun film to try! Kodak Gold! How exotic! xD

Yeah that would be disappointing. I would expect at least some more speciality ones to make it fun.

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂

Yeah, it's actually sort of a bummer. When I was most recently in NYC I went on BH's website to see if there were some fun films I could try. But Arista EDU? It's fomapan. Kosmofoto? It's fomapan. Holga 400? It's fomapan. Ribsy's "New Classic"? It's fomapan. Not to say that there aren't novel options to try out, you just have to do a little research, and it's sort of a bummer to realize that the number of options you really have is actually effectively smaller than what you thought.

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Ever striving for minimum competency
Quote from Justin Tung on September 8, 2021, 9:02 pm

Yeah, it's actually sort of a bummer. When I was most recently in NYC I went on BH's website to see if there were some fun films I could try. But Arista EDU? It's fomapan. Kosmofoto? It's fomapan. Holga 400? It's fomapan. Ribsy's "New Classic"? It's fomapan. Not to say that there aren't novel options to try out, you just have to do a little research, and it's sort of a bummer to realize that the number of options you really have is actually effectively smaller than what you thought.

Yeah I don't get the Ribsy New Classic 400 and the gist of it, people gobbled it up too. He even admitted to it being Fomapan 400.  Although I'd wish the film manufacturers would adopt his recyclable container the film comes in.  I have so many empty 35mm film containers, that are just another pile of plastic in the world.

Quote from SpruceBruce on September 9, 2021, 3:28 pm
Quote from Justin Tung on September 8, 2021, 9:02 pm

Yeah I don't get the Ribsy New Classic 400 and the gist of it, people gobbled it up too. He even admitted to it being Fomapan 400.  Although I'd wish the film manufacturers would adopt his recyclable container the film comes in.  I have so many empty 35mm film containers, that are just another pile of plastic in the world.

One thing I did was cut them 120 holders! I made some following this tutorial: https://www.lomography.com/magazine/48032-recycle-your-35mm-canisters-to-make-120-film-canisters-useful-and-eco-friendly-tip-october-call-out

Besides that I've used them for quarters for laundry, as well as holding small screws and bits from various projects. It's also nice to hold anything that otherwise would rattle around the bottom of a case, like my 35 to 120 adapters.

Uploaded files:
  • Homemade-120-Canisters.jpg
James Warner has reacted to this post.
James Warner
Ever striving for minimum competency