Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Film leader retrieval tool recommendations

Hello all,

Twice over the last few months I've mistakenly rolled film back into the canister when it hasn't been exposed. Does anyone have a favorite tool for retrieving the film leader out of the canister again? I see some cheap tools out there and also some DIY hacks (like getting the end of another roll of film wet, inserting it and getting it to stick to the film).

Thanks

SpruceBruce and Gideon Liddiard Photography have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceGideon Liddiard Photography
Happy snappin' 🙂

I have no suggestions for a tool but....

Maybe you could use a reloadable film canister? Break open the stuck canister and transfer the film over to a reloadable canister? And because I'm selfish I think you should then buy a film "bulk loader" and do a video on how we can all shoot film for cheap by loading reusable canisters 😉

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Quote from James Warner on August 14, 2023, 10:35 pm

Hello all,

Twice over the last few months I've mistakenly rolled film back into the canister when it hasn't been exposed. Does anyone have a favorite tool for retrieving the film leader out of the canister again? I see some cheap tools out there and also some DIY hacks (like getting the end of another roll of film wet, inserting it and getting it to stick to the film).

Thanks

I used ones like the Ilford one below for years when I worked in photographic retail, did the job pretty much every time, they are cheap and reliable.

https://dupli.co.uk/Ilford-AP-35mm-Film-Picker-Retriever?gclid=CjwKCAjwxOymBhAFEiwAnodBLLJFUaBaJNSlDBR2o5ZlqB24u_7Ijqq8UjLEt8J-S9pY3xVEHDCehBoCRiQQAvD_BwE

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce

I really should get a tool but I’ve been using the old lick and stick trick. Normally takes me a few retries but it’s always worked!

James Warner, SpruceBruce and Gideon Liddiard Photography have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBruceGideon Liddiard Photography
Ever striving for minimum competency
Quote from Justin Tung on August 19, 2023, 7:09 pm

I really should get a tool but I’ve been using the old lick and stick trick. Normally takes me a few retries but it’s always worked!

I've utilized this primitive technique as well with success 

Quote from Justin Tung on August 19, 2023, 7:09 pm

It worked like a charm, thanks for the recommendations everyone! The goal is to not do that again, but now I know what I can do just in case 😉

Happy snappin' 🙂