Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Favorite Photo(s) 2023 / Goals for 2024

Share your favorite photo (or photos) of 2023 here! I'm still deciding... here are some of the contenders and what I like about each.

In 2023 I discovered I really enjoy making diptychs. I like how you can tell a story with them. This one is also special because I was showing my Dad a favorite hiking spot of mine. And the K-3iii was new to me then and I was really hitting it off with that camera. I've never synced so well with a camera before - it was like pulling Excalibur from the stone.
 Hiker by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

Another diptych, this one shows a Sycamore ball in two stages, shot with my K-5iis and 35mm macro. Maybe my favorite sensor, and maybe my favorite lens. hah
 Sycamore Ball Diptych by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

This one I love because of the complete luck of it. Not only did I just happen to be at the right place at the right time to catch the sun shining through the hole in the tree, but I happened to have my 15mm ltd with me (a lens I almost never use), which is great for starbursts and just the right focal length here. Add to that this was my first time at this trail - luck! I always have the 15mm with me now...and I use it a lot more!
 IMGP0149 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

Also in 2023 I discovered IR photography, with a $25 Canon EOS 20D which was already converted. I got a lensbaby with it and went to town, figuring out what the heck I was doing as I went, and with a lot of help from @ahoyhere.ย  I like how ominous this photo is, like something is about to jump out of the sewer.

IMG_2550 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

2023 was weird because my goal was to up my wildlife photography game, but I did very little of that. Instead I progressed in lots of other areas. So, for 2024 my goal is to up my wildlife photography game. ๐Ÿ˜†

I'm excited to see your favorite shots from 2023 and hear your goals going forward. ๐Ÿ™‚

James Warner and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBruce

My five picks for 2023 are:

My main goal for 2024 is to finally not be scared stupid of using flash, to which end I've bought a Godox set-up for my M43 kit. Oh and more gigs and more exhibitions.ย 

SpruceBruce and JBP have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceJBP
Quote from Gideon Liddiard Photography on January 25, 2024, 11:04 pm

My main goal for 2024 is to finally not be scared stupid of using flash, to which end I've bought a Godox set-up for my M43 kit. Oh and more gigs and more exhibitions.ย 

Love these! That's a good goal. Flash can be intimidating. I'm slowly getting better at it but I'm in no way great. So far just a flash on the hot shoe. I feel like I have basic bounce flash down in my house which was the main thing, now to get better at using it everywhere else ๐Ÿ˜†

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Quote from JBP on January 18, 2024, 5:13 pm

Share your favorite photo (or photos) of 2023 here! I'm still deciding... here are some of the contenders and what I like about each.

In 2023 I discovered I really enjoy making diptychs. I like how you can tell a story with them. This one is also special because I was showing my Dad a favorite hiking spot of mine. And the K-3iii was new to me then and I was really hitting it off with that camera. I've never synced so well with a camera before - it was like pulling Excalibur from the stone.

Another diptych, this one shows a Sycamore ball in two stages, shot with my K-5iis and 35mm macro. Maybe my favorite sensor, and maybe my favorite lens. hah

This one I love because of the complete luck of it. Not only did I just happen to be at the right place at the right time to catch the sun shining through the hole in the tree, but I happened to have my 15mm ltd with me (a lens I almost never use), which is great for starbursts and just the right focal length here. Add to that this was my first time at this trail - luck! I always have the 15mm with me now...and I use it a lot more!

Also in 2023 I discovered IR photography, with a $25 Canon EOS 20D which was already converted. I got a lensbaby with it and went to town, figuring out what the heck I was doing as I went, and with a lot of help from @ahoyhere.ย  I like how ominous this photo is, like something is about to jump out of the sewer.

2023 was weird because my goal was to up my wildlife photography game, but I did very little of that. Instead I progressed in lots of other areas. So, for 2024 my goal is to up my wildlife photography game. ๐Ÿ˜†

I'm excited to see your favorite shots from 2023 and hear your goals going forward. ๐Ÿ™‚

Excellent job painting stories, you can really make your photos stronger when we shoot them as a greater part of storytelling.ย  I continue to shoot with this in mind.ย  Instead one particular shot, maybe a couple that compliment and document the journey in addition as well.

The moody tree shot is a wall hanger for sure!ย 

Sweater Weather by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Olympus E500 50-200 F2.8

McDonald Creek 2 by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Olympus EM1X Laowa 7.5mm

Sipping Nectar! by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Pentax K1 DA*300mm F4

Orchid Dreams by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Minolta 7D Tomioka Tominon 5cm F2

Dragonfly by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Olympus EM1X TTArtisan 40mm F2.8 Macro

Here's my favorite shots, it was tough choosing.

KankRat and JBP have reacted to this post.
KankRatJBP
Quote from SpruceBruce on January 27, 2024, 9:49 pm

Excellent job painting stories, you can really make your photos stronger when we shoot them as a greater part of storytelling.ย  I continue to shoot with this in mind.ย  Instead one particular shot, maybe a couple that compliment and document the journey in addition as well.

The moody tree shot is a wall hanger for sure!ย 

Sweater Weather by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Olympus E500 50-200 F2.8

McDonald Creek 2 by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Olympus EM1X Laowa 7.5mm

Sipping Nectar! by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Pentax K1 DA*300mm F4

Orchid Dreams by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Minolta 7D Tomioka Tominon 5cm F2

Dragonfly by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Olympus EM1X TTArtisan 40mm F2.8 Macro

Here's my favorite shots, it was tough choosing.

Wonderful shots, Bruce!! I had already "favorited" most of them on Flickr haha. Darn, why can't we like 'em twice? I love the variety of equipment, too. Each with a different camera and lens! Actually the EM1x made the cut twice, so we have a MVP after all. Really great stuff

SpruceBruce

These are all great for a bunch of different reasons, but the common thread is you're a great photographer! Good eye and technique and great captures! This is a fun idea.

SpruceBruce and JBP have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceJBP
Happy snappin' ๐Ÿ™‚

Beautiful shots and black and white tones. Flash is a great goal. I could use a lot of work in that area too. Good luck, and can't wait to see some results.

SpruceBruce
Happy snappin' ๐Ÿ™‚
Quote from James Warner on January 28, 2024, 3:11 am

These are all great for a bunch of different reasons, but the common thread is you're a great photographer! Good eye and technique and great captures! This is a fun idea.

Thank you so much! ๐Ÿ˜