Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Farewell, New York

Again, not wanting to derail the monthly photo thread, I figured I'd make a separate post for a bigger project I wanted to share!

I didn't grow up in NYC, but for the last 10 years or so that's where my folks have lived, so that's where I went to visit them. It's also where I started doing photography, mostly taking street photos that y'all may have seen popping up every now and again from me. This winter, though, they're moving out of the city, so I figured I'd throw together a little homage of some pictures I took the few days I was with them during the holidays.

James Warner, Beau Carpenter and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerBeau CarpenterSpruceBruceDaniel GonzalezJBP
Ever striving for minimum competency
Quote from Justin Tung on January 10, 2023, 1:55 am

Again, not wanting to derail the monthly photo thread, I figured I'd make a separate post for a bigger project I wanted to share!

I didn't grow up in NYC, but for the last 10 years or so that's where my folks have lived, so that's where I went to visit them. It's also where I started doing photography, mostly taking street photos that y'all may have seen popping up every now and again from me. This winter, though, they're moving out of the city, so I figured I'd throw together a little homage of some pictures I took the few days I was with them during the holidays.

Really dig how you work shadows & contrast in these shots

Justin Tung has reacted to this post.
Justin Tung
Quote from SpruceBruce on January 10, 2023, 5:31 am
Quote from Justin Tung on January 10, 2023, 1:55 am

Really dig how you work shadows & contrast in these shots

Thank you!

Thanks for sharing! Those are not the NYC I expect, and I like that very much! Showed a different side than I usually I see. I've only been once but I have a sibling that lives there. I wasn't taking as many pics back when I visited, so I've wondered what I would photograph if I visit again. How much of that was film?

Justin Tung has reacted to this post.
Justin Tung
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from James Warner on January 15, 2023, 1:43 am

Thanks for sharing! Those are not the NYC I expect, and I like that very much! Showed a different side than I usually I see. I've only been once but I have a sibling that lives there. I wasn't taking as many pics back when I visited, so I've wondered what I would photograph if I visit again. How much of that was film?

None of it, actually! Everything was on the Fuji X70 with a few different recipes I was tinkering with. I feel like every time I went back to NYC for holidays or something I took different types of photos to try to find something I really like, so I'm glad you thought that these are different haha.

Truly inspirational.

So... when I posted, "Instagram...there has to be something better" . This is exactly what I was thinking. This is better.  A lot better.

Those are special pics.  You should think about making a photo book

Justin Tung and JBP have reacted to this post.
Justin TungJBP
Quote from KankRat on January 22, 2023, 1:02 am

Truly inspirational.

So... when I posted, "Instagram...there has to be something better" . This is exactly what I was thinking. This is better.  A lot better.

Those are special pics.  You should think about making a photo book

Thank you so much! Yeah, I didn't know I wanted to make a video until I got home and was editing all the photos, so I figured I'd go the slideshow route.

Another friend has suggested I go the photobook route, but I explained to them that books are expensive to make but videos are free haha.

SpruceBruce and JBP have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceJBP

I started this on my computer and instantly knew I wanted to watch it on my TV for the bigger screen. That was an experience! I felt transported to another place by your photos. Great collection and the perfect way to present them. 🙂

Justin Tung and Beau Carpenter have reacted to this post.
Justin TungBeau Carpenter
Quote from JBP on January 23, 2023, 4:29 pm

I started this on my computer and instantly knew I wanted to watch it on my TV for the bigger screen. That was an experience! I felt transported to another place by your photos. Great collection and the perfect way to present them. 🙂

Thank you so much!

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP