Please or Register to create posts and topics.

FA* madness

So lately, I contracted the FA* disease. Maybe it's the fact that FA* lenses, not only have above average to very good IQ, but they're also future proof as they're all screw driven, all have 67mm filter thread, and all have aperture rings so they're easily adaptable to other systems.

So far, I've sold my DA* 300mm and bought an FA* 300mm for slightly less, got a bargain FA* 24mm from mpb for 150 EUR, and bit the bullet on a FA* 85mm 1.4 from Japan.

Uploaded files:
  • photo_2022-03-23_20-42-28.jpg
Daniel Gonzalez and JBP have reacted to this post.
Daniel GonzalezJBP

Very nice! I have the 200mm for sale just saying, in case you will to have it also πŸ˜›

My social media: https://linktr.ee/F1photo

@red5isalive how much are you taking on the 200mm? I've been trying to get a longer prime. And @tristanludlow nice collection! I've been very much trying to complete my F series lens collection one piece at a time but I would love to start collecting their premium glass. How is the 300mm? If you don't mind me asking, what is a fair price for that lens?

Quote from HeggenDazs on March 24, 2022, 2:08 pm

@red5isalive how much are you taking on the 200mm? I've been trying to get a longer prime. And @tristanludlow nice collection! I've been very much trying to complete my F series lens collection one piece at a time but I would love to start collecting their premium glass. How is the 300mm? If you don't mind me asking, what is a fair price for that lens?

I'm asking around 600 euros, everything in life is negotiable though.

You have to consider I am based in Barcelona and probably the shipping costs to your door can not be that cheap.

If you are interested I'll PM you with the link on the Pentax Spanish forum where I have the lens on sale, I can also send you images of it and taken with it.

To be honest I don't use it and it's a waste, I thought i'd use it on the races, but then it purple firnge too much to my likes when used with racecars that race with the lights on (it doesn't pair well with lights from racecars), so unfortunatelly is not a lens to keep as I do not regularly use it and a lens like this should be loved somewhere else.

Quote from tristancarlos on March 23, 2022, 7:44 pm

So lately, I contracted the FA* disease. Maybe it's the fact that FA* lenses, not only have above average to very good IQ, but they're also future proof as they're all screw driven, all have 67mm filter thread, and all have aperture rings so they're easily adaptable to other systems.

So far, I've sold my DA* 300mm and bought an FA* 300mm for slightly less, got a bargain FA* 24mm from mpb for 150 EUR, and bit the bullet on a FA* 85mm 1.4 from Japan.

Sooooo nice πŸ˜€ I thought about collecting the FA* lenses for a while. Very cool group of glass. You probably know I had the 24mm f2 liked it but didn't love it, and had the FA* 400mm f5.6 but just never used it. That was before my wildlife days started last year. Now I would love to give it a run πŸ˜‰

But for me I think the three most compelling are the 24mm, 85mm and 200mm (and maybe the 70-200, for that matter). Because you can use them for portraits and get a mix of vintage look with top tier glass from that era. The 300+ I think make less sense to me because the situations I would want to shoot them, I would prefer the newer coatings. I guess we don't have a newer 400mm prime still.

Anyway, really cool to see it all together. Share some shots with that 85. I'm curious how you like it πŸ™‚

Happy snappin' πŸ™‚
Quote from HeggenDazs on March 24, 2022, 2:08 pm

Hey! Yeah I'm also in the process of completing my F collection too. I'm missing the 100mm. I'll skip the 50mm 1.4 and the 85mm soft.

The 300mm is actually really good. It's maybe a touch less sharp than the DA but I haven't thoroughly tested it yet. They're optically the same though. It's definitely a lot sharper than the 55-300mm PLM. It was able to resolve a lady bug from about 15 metres haha.

The minimum focus distance is higher compared to the DA, it's not weather sealed, and no tripod too. However, it's the lightest of the 3 versions.

I bought mine for 550 EUR here in Germany so not cheap..

Daniel Gonzalez has reacted to this post.
Daniel Gonzalez
Quote from red5isalive on March 24, 2022, 12:53 pm

Very nice! I have the 200mm for sale just saying, in case you will to have it also πŸ˜›

hmmm I'm going to sell my Tammy 70-200mm soon so maybe I'll hit you up once it is sold.

Daniel Gonzalez has reacted to this post.
Daniel Gonzalez
Quote from tristancarlos on March 24, 2022, 8:50 pm
Quote from red5isalive on March 24, 2022, 12:53 pm

hmmm I'm going to sell my Tammy 70-200mm soon so maybe I'll hit you up once it is sold.

Sure Carlos, no problem πŸ™‚

Sorry if I was mistaken and your name is TristΓ‘n or both xD