Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Do you have more than one camera, if so, why?

Do you have more than one camera?
No, just one
Yes, two
Yes, more than two
Page 1 of 4Next

Over here in Texas we have been in a bit of an energy crisis. I was without electricity for a while, and most of the state had it worse. Things are better now. But the down time from work and business of the internet caused me to reflect on some things. The least important of which I am about to share with you 😛

I was thinking about how much camera gear I have accumulated this last year, and started deciding which pieces of gear to let go of. Letting go of stuff isn't too hard for me. The problem is I always seem to buy up too many things and repeat this process every year or so. So, this time I started trying to figure out why I do that, and how I can come up with a system that lets me enjoy trying new things without ending up with stuff I don't use.

One of my tries is to categorically write down my camera use-cases, so that when I go to buy something I can check if it actually fills one of my needs, and if that slot isn't already taken by someone else. For example, I recently splurged on a good deal for a Pentax MX-1 (video is coming out next week, was delayed because of power outages). It's a cool camera, and I've had fun using it, but for my own use case it doesn't do anything more than my Ricoh GR, and in ways that are important to me it's actually worse (can't fit it in shorts pocket).

So, a working list for me right now is:

35mm Film camera

Landscape/astro/portrait camera

Compact family documentary camera

Those are my core categories, then the unnecessary but fun for now categories are:

Infrared camera

Old digital camera

So, I am curious. Do you own more than one camera? And if so, why? And how do you decide what cameras you want to keep around?

I also have some other ideas related to this, but I will start with this thought first and then pick your brains more later 🙂

Happy snappin' 🙂

I currently have, by category:

Digital:

Point and shoot- Sony RX100 m1,

Mirrorless- Fuji X-E2,

Action cam- GoPro Hero 5 Session

Analog:

35mm Half Frame Zone Focus- Mercury II

35mm SLR- Minolta SRT 202

35mm Rangefinder- Canonet QL17 GIII

120 SLR- Mamiya 645 1000s

Instant- Fuji Instax Mini 7s

The Instax mini just exists to develop the film though, which I plan on exposing in the M645 with a modified film insert.

I've given a lot of what I could get rid of. The cameras that I use the most right now are hands down the Fuji and the Mamiya. I love using the Mamiya so much for anything film, 135, 120, hopefully even instax one day. The Fuji meets all my digital needs– not all my wants, but all my needs. Why do I have the rest of them?

The RX100 was my first camera that took non-phone images, and it'll always have a special place in my heart. It's also an easy grab-and-go camera, something to throw in a pocket or backpack, especially if I'm carrying a film camera and don't want to bring the larger Fuji. The GoPro also does something very different from the other cameras, so that's easy to excuse.

It's easy for me to justify having one film camera of each format, so the Mercury and the Mamiya get free passes. Then it comes down to two 35mm cameras, and I'm leaning towards thinking that they're sufficiently different to justify having both? The Canonet is a quick, compact rangefinder with a fixed 40mm lens. The Minolta is an interchangeable lens SLR. It, however, was my first film camera, and it can do everything I'd want.  One of the reasons why I like having it around is that I love using the Minolta lenses on my Fuji. I don't know if I'd feel weird not having a film body that fits those lenses. If I were to shoot 35mm normally I just see myself picking up the Canonet every time though. If one camera were to go, I'd probably be that one, but with the price of that type of manual SLR not going for all that much anymore, I don't feel like holding onto it ties me up too much.

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Ever striving for minimum competency
Quote from Justin Tung on February 22, 2021, 12:41 am

If one camera were to go, I'd probably be that one, but with the price of that type of manual SLR not going for all that much anymore, I don't feel like holding onto it ties me up too much.

I feel that way about a lot of my cameras. But once you get to 10 then you start to just need more space 😁

Seems like a logical mix of gear, though. I'm running into a situation where I have clear duplicates. Like three APS-C cameras that are nearly the same. I will probably make some send off blog posts or videos before I sell them, but I have already decided it's time to clean up a little.

Happy snappin' 🙂

For me it's hard to break away from the attitude of "they all must stay". I grown sentimentally attached to all of them. As for film cameras, i am happy that they all do something unique, or have a unique quality. Particularly my Yashica Lynx 14 with the 45mm f1.4 fixed lens. Although I like to use all of my cameras the "vintage" ones do have the added advantage of looking nice on a shelf. There are a few old cameras i would like to acquire which I admire from a design or engineering standpoint. Although I would definitely use them, i would be equally happy not using and displaying.

As for digital... There is definitely a Fuji x100f and a Nikon D3400 which need to find new homes. I also have an XT-3 which i sometimes wonder about getting rid of. After getting my K1 last year i can say that i am smitten with Pentax. Again, the XT-3 has many fond memories and is a loyal companion.

Easy to end up with three APS-C cameras it seems... Perhaps i should move to Pentax in that area too... So many lovely looking lenses.

Justin Tung has reacted to this post.
Justin Tung

Hello! First time posting here but let me say thank you for your great videos and this site. Your video about the Ricoh GR is one reason that I have it, and love it. After so much agonizing, buying, and selling, I have two cameras: the Ricoh GR and a Fuji X-T2 with just the 35mm f2 lens (more lenses in the future? Maybe.). Why I have two, and those two: I've always had some kind of point and shoot, and then in the last few years through a nice X-T1 at work, and feeling like I wish things looked better than my phone was capable of, I've had about two years of getting to what I swear to myself will be the Final Destination of a high quality pocket camera (that also doesn't cost $800; I did have a GR III and wow, it's something else), and a camera to continue to learn on and admittedly, that has a viewfinder; there's just something about my learning that wants that. Anyway, two cameras, even though all these older Pentax cameras you write about sound like fun, especially if they have any Ricoh GR vibe. Which reminds me, that would be a good video: do any non-GR Pentax cameras have a similar vibe? Anyway, thanks for encouraging people like me to put aside specs and the notion that only the newest thing could possibly take good photos... and just try to have as much fun as I did taking photos with a cheap point and shoot at summer camp in the 90's.

Hello! First time posting here (and sorry for the guest post first, I'm new to this. Wait is this AOL?). First, thank you for your great videos and this site. Your video about the Ricoh GR is one reason that I have it, and love it. After so much agonizing, buying, and selling, I have two cameras: the Ricoh GR and a Fuji X-T2 with just the 35mm f2 lens (more lenses in the future? Maybe.). Why I have any cameras at all: since I was a kid, I've always had some kind of point and shoot, to take photos at summer camp in the 90's, etc. Then over the past few years, through a nice Fuji X-T1 at work, and feeling like I wish things looked better than my phone was capable of, I thought, maybe I'd like to dig into this a bit? I've now had about two years of getting to what I swear to myself will be my Final Destination: a high quality pocket camera (that also doesn't cost $800; I did have a GR III and wow, it's something else) for taking everywhere, and a camera to continue to learn on, that has a viewfinder; there's just something about my learning that wants that. Anyway, two cameras; it might be one camera if there was a version of the GR III with a viewfinder and where you could change lenses. Which reminds me, that would be a good video: do any non-GR Pentax cameras have a similar vibe? Anyway, thanks for encouraging people like me to put aside specs, and shun the notion that only the newest thing could possibly take good, meaningful, beautiful photos.

James Warner has reacted to this post.
James Warner
Quote from dcrommett on March 4, 2021, 4:05 am

Hello! First time posting here (and sorry for the guest post first, I'm new to this. Wait is this AOL?). First, thank you for your great videos and this site. Your video about the Ricoh GR is one reason that I have it, and love it. After so much agonizing, buying, and selling, I have two cameras: the Ricoh GR and a Fuji X-T2 with just the 35mm f2 lens (more lenses in the future? Maybe.). Why I have any cameras at all: since I was a kid, I've always had some kind of point and shoot, to take photos at summer camp in the 90's, etc. Then over the past few years, through a nice Fuji X-T1 at work, and feeling like I wish things looked better than my phone was capable of, I thought, maybe I'd like to dig into this a bit? I've now had about two years of getting to what I swear to myself will be my Final Destination: a high quality pocket camera (that also doesn't cost $800; I did have a GR III and wow, it's something else) for taking everywhere, and a camera to continue to learn on, that has a viewfinder; there's just something about my learning that wants that. Anyway, two cameras; it might be one camera if there was a version of the GR III with a viewfinder and where you could change lenses. Which reminds me, that would be a good video: do any non-GR Pentax cameras have a similar vibe? Anyway, thanks for encouraging people like me to put aside specs, and shun the notion that only the newest thing could possibly take good, meaningful, beautiful photos.

Awesome! Thanks for stopping by! That's exactly the point I try to get across, so glad it's coming through alright 🙂

That sounds like a sweet setup. I remember when the X-T2 came out and I wanted one so badly. Now they are so cheap, I just might someday 😉 Anyway, that makes a lot of sense to have the pocketable power of the GR mixed with a interchangeable lens camera for other uses.

The GR is really special, and there's nothing quite like it. There are a few other APSC sensor compact cameras, but none as pocketable as the GR. The controls on the GR feel just right. The lens is incredible. Really tough to beat. For me, at least. It will for sure stick in my collection as I have so many uses for it and use it almost daily. I recently 3D printed a filter adapter for it so I could put on polarizing and ND filters. Playing with that today has been a lot of fun and stretches the use of the camera even further.

Happy snappin' 🙂

Yep 😅

Micro Four Thirds (Filmmaking Kit)

• Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4k
  • Panasonic GX85 - Also use a lot for everyday photos & the family's day-to-day life. Very compact with the 14mm lens (28mm Equivalent)

Pentax (Photography & Fun)

• Pentax K5
  • Pentax P3n
  • Pentax KP (Tested out then reselling)

Only owned M43 cameras until I started watching Snappiness then I started to try out Pentax! I enjoy shooting with the K5 so much. It has a nice feel and shooting experience. The majority of the time I take it out when I go on walks in the park, trails, etc. I purchased the P3n to try out film photography. The film experience has been very nice as well, have a few rolls I need to get developed 😀

James Warner, SpruceBruce and Deleted user have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBruceDeleted user

@beau-carpenter and @james-warner-b,  I wonder if you'd be so kind as to post, or link to, some photos you've taken with the K-5? Since my last (aka first!) post here, I've gone against my promises to myself camera-wise, and am now down to just the Ricoh GR III. And it is amazing, really, and small, and will forever be a travel buddy. But, I am missing having something with a viewfinder, which I keep asking myself, "really?" But yes. I'm still learning all this stuff but I know I have liked the buttery look of 16mp on previous Fujis, and am considering that again (especially after your post @justintung about the X-E2), as I had an X-E2s and loved it until the rear command dial stopped working... but boy are those lenses expensive. So, from all things Snappiness, I am intrigued by the K-5! Thanks all! (Oh, and I think this will work, but just putting a picture here that I like from my old beloved X-E2s. Just some chairs in a park in the North End of Boston.)

Beau Carpenter has reacted to this post.
Beau Carpenter

Sure, here's a few from the K-5. I have plenty more, but need to upload them to flickr first. These are from when I was playing around with the 15mm Limited.

Pentax 15mm Limited

Pentax 15mm Limited

agentlossing, Tristan Carlos and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
agentlossingTristan CarlosBeau CarpenterSpruceBruceDeleted user
Happy snappin' 🙂
Page 1 of 4Next