Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Dia dhuit from Ireland

Hello everyone 

I suppose as an introduction I'm an enjoyer of the outdoors and of photographing it. 

I'm lucky enough find my self with a Canon M5 for the digital and a Canon EOS 1000 for the film.

With all the wonderful rain we get here I'm in constant fear, hiding them away in dry bags so I might have see what highly weather sealed solutions I can get me hands on, if anyone has some suggestions love to hear them. 

Thanks for letting me join 

Uploaded files:
  • 09082713.jpg
  • 9634536322.jpg
  • 12324323.jpg
  • 854345452.jpg
denniscrommett, EckyH and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
denniscrommettEckyHGideon Liddiard PhotographyUplaxer

Welcome! Those are beautiful photos! Where in Ireland do you live? I have been three times (I live in Massachusetts in the US) and love Ireland very much. I have family in Clare so we've mostly visited out that way. 

Quote from denniscrommett on July 20, 2023, 6:54 pm

Welcome! Those are beautiful photos! Where in Ireland do you live? I have been three times (I live in Massachusetts in the US) and love Ireland very much. I have family in Clare so we've mostly visited out that way. 

Hey Dennis. 

Thanks. Glad you like it here.

I'm from Waterford original but I'm acctually quite close to Clare now living in Kerry. 

Would like to hike the Burren that outs there, but all in good time. 

denniscrommett has reacted to this post.
denniscrommett
Quote from Cory Maben on July 20, 2023, 8:21 pm

Welcome aboard! I really like the one of the tent in the dark and the first two look like old antarctic expedition photos, very cool! As for weather sealing, I don't know personally but I have heard very good things about Olympus and Panasonic Micro 4/3 cameras, if that sensor size would work for you. I've also heard people speak highly about Pentax's weather sealing

Thanks Cory. 

Micro 4/3 might be the ticket, I'll defo look into it and would never complain if I can make the setup lighter. Pentax make some solid stuff alright but might but would have to weight up agaisnt increased size. 

I was also looking at Nikon D700 era seems to be similily well built. 

Welcome! I love the adventure pics. That's probably my favorite type of photography that I don't get around to as much since having kids.

I also take non-weather sealed cameras out and about and just try to be careful, but I do have less anxiety with weather sealed cameras. Just so when a little rain hits the camera I am not concerned. My experience has been with Pentax and it's been very good that way. Multiple exposures to snow/rain without an issue. The suggestions above seem good too. I've heard good things about the other brands. 

Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from CillianOM on July 20, 2023, 8:59 pm
Quote from Cory Maben on July 20, 2023, 8:21 pm

Welcome aboard! I really like the one of the tent in the dark and the first two look like old antarctic expedition photos, very cool! As for weather sealing, I don't know personally but I have heard very good things about Olympus and Panasonic Micro 4/3 cameras, if that sensor size would work for you. I've also heard people speak highly about Pentax's weather sealing

Thanks Cory. 

Micro 4/3 might be the ticket, I'll defo look into it and would never complain if I can make the setup lighter. Pentax make some solid stuff alright but might but would have to weight up agaisnt increased size. 

I was also looking at Nikon D700 era seems to be similily well built. 

As has been mentioned Pentax has a great reputation for weather-sealing, I can also personally rate the Nikon D7000 (great cameras that can be picked up cheap), I often use mine with the Nikon 35mm f1.8, which is a nice 50mm full-frame equivalent and again a cheap one to pick up.

On the M4/3 side, I would tip towards the Olympus side (I have an E-M1 II), but keep in mind that you need to look at the Pro spec glass for weather-sealing on both Olympus and Panasonic, but I can 100% vouch for how good it is to save weight with M43 kit.

I have the following in a Billingham Hadley that I take out with me as a full kit:

• Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mk II
  • Lumix GX-7
  • Lumix G Vario 14-42 ASPH
  • Lumix 20mm f1.7
  • Lumix G Vario 12-32 f3.5-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS
  • Olympus Digital 45mm f1.8 MSC
  • Olympus 30mm f3.5 Macro
  • 25mm CCTV Lens & Mount & Extn Rings
  • Olympus Digital 40-150mm f4-5.6 R
  • Extn Tubes 16mm & 10mm
  • 7Artisans 7.5mm f2.8
  • 7Artisans 25mm f1.8
  • Olympus LM3 flash
  • Spare Batteries, cards, etc.

That all weighs in at only 4kgs (just under 9lbs) including the bag (which will 100% keep it all dry in the rain) and covers me for full frame equivalent of 15mm through to 300mm, for comparison my Nikon D7000 and 35mm f1.8 combo weighs 1kg (2.2lbs) alone. The weight-saving M4/3 gives can't be overstated.

James Warner and EckyH have reacted to this post.
James WarnerEckyH

You can pick them up on eBay or Amazon (well in the UK you can - I assume the same is true in other markets.

They are c-mount CCTV lens with adaptors for other mounts (and often extension tubes), so basically CCTV lenses that have been repurposed.

It 100% will not cover a Full Frame sensor, as it doesn't cover a M43 one without vignetting and they have huge amounts of edge softness, but they are dirt cheap (around £25) and have a character that can be oddly appealing, and I have seen them for sale with Sony e-mount adaptors.

EckyH and Deleted user have reacted to this post.
EckyHDeleted user