Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Dalsa CCD "Medium Format" DSLR -- Mamiya ZD

PreviousPage 2 of 4Next
Quote from James Warner on March 10, 2023, 12:41 pm
Quote from DWMO on March 9, 2023, 9:48 pm

@james-warner-b

Did you recently make a purchase?

I saw a very familiar figure in your most recent video.

What lens did you manage to find? Did you get an 80mm auto-focus lens with the 150mm? I only have a 150mm which can now turn! so I can manual focus!

If my suspicions are correct I can't wait for the video.

p.s. how do you feel now that you have delved into (almost) Medium format?

Yes! And thanks for first making me aware of the camera. I've been on the lookout ever since, and one finally came up for a really good price that I couldn't refuse.

Mine came bundled with the 55mm f2.8 AF and then I found a $100 120mm F4 macro (!). Can't believe my luck there. Right after I bought the camera that that was listed.

The 80mm f2.8 will be on my list too if I can snag a deal. In the meantime the 120mm macro actually makes for a pretty nice portrait lens. At 1:1 macro is is HUGE. Longer than my Pentax 300mm f4 prime lens. I'll share more pics of the setup soon. I'm putting together a blog post of my first impressions.

I'm glad to hear you're able to focus the 150mm now! You'll have to take more pics and share them with us here.

As you have requested.

SOOC JPGS

Uploaded files:
  • MMFC0068.JPG
  • MMFC0079.JPG
  • MMFC0091.JPG
  • MMFC0088.JPG
  • MMFC0097.JPG
James Warner, EckyH and JayTz_Photography have reacted to this post.
James WarnerEckyHJayTz_Photography
Quote from DWMO on March 11, 2023, 6:44 am
Quote from James Warner on March 10, 2023, 12:41 pm
Quote from DWMO on March 9, 2023, 9:48 pm

@james-warner-b

Did you recently make a purchase?

I saw a very familiar figure in your most recent video.

What lens did you manage to find? Did you get an 80mm auto-focus lens with the 150mm? I only have a 150mm which can now turn! so I can manual focus!

If my suspicions are correct I can't wait for the video.

p.s. how do you feel now that you have delved into (almost) Medium format?

Yes! And thanks for first making me aware of the camera. I've been on the lookout ever since, and one finally came up for a really good price that I couldn't refuse.

Mine came bundled with the 55mm f2.8 AF and then I found a $100 120mm F4 macro (!). Can't believe my luck there. Right after I bought the camera that that was listed.

The 80mm f2.8 will be on my list too if I can snag a deal. In the meantime the 120mm macro actually makes for a pretty nice portrait lens. At 1:1 macro is is HUGE. Longer than my Pentax 300mm f4 prime lens. I'll share more pics of the setup soon. I'm putting together a blog post of my first impressions.

I'm glad to hear you're able to focus the 150mm now! You'll have to take more pics and share them with us here.

As you have requested.

SOOC JPGS

I forgot I never replied. Those are beautiful.

Here are a few from me. Waiting for more sunshine, less rain and cold 🙂

EckyH, DWMO and JayTz_Photography have reacted to this post.
EckyHDWMOJayTz_Photography
Happy snappin' 🙂

I forgot I never replied. Those are beautiful.

Here are a few from me. Waiting for more sunshine, less rain and cold 🙂

Thanks for you comments and another thanks for sharing your photos, it's a great portrait camera and lens combo!

Can't wait for you ZD video.

Thanks again.

James Warner has reacted to this post.
James Warner

New to the forum, coincidentally saw your new video on the Mamiya ZD! I actually have one as well. Got it on Yahoo auction here in Japan from a fellow photographer for apprx $1000 USD. The catch was that the lowpass filter was glue'd into the camera haha. I don't necessarily love the camera, but always have fun using it even though the images require a lot of work vs modern technically cameras. Super desaturated, and adjusting the files in C1 is very sensitive vs modern cameras as well.

Uploaded files:
  • Select120_007.jpg
  • Select120_002.jpg
  • River_022.jpg
James Warner, DWMO and JayTz_Photography have reacted to this post.
James WarnerDWMOJayTz_Photography
Quote from KanaiFilm on May 6, 2023, 2:15 pm

New to the forum, coincidentally saw your new video on the Mamiya ZD! I actually have one as well. Got it on Yahoo auction here in Japan from a fellow photographer for apprx $1000 USD. The catch was that the lowpass filter was glue'd into the camera haha. I don't necessarily love the camera, but always have fun using it even though the images require a lot of work vs modern technically cameras. Super desaturated, and adjusting the files in C1 is very sensitive vs modern cameras as well.

Fantastic work! What lens are you using with yours? Fun to meet so many ZD shooters for such a rare camera.

DWMO has reacted to this post.
DWMO
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from Cory Maben on May 7, 2023, 7:45 am

@kanaifilm

@dwmo

@james-warner-b

This camera has a very particular look to it and I just now placed it. Have you ever seen that HD footage from the 90s? That's the same kind of vibe I get from these pictures. The character of the image suggests something old but the amount of detail captured is much higher than I expect and it creates this media version of the uncanny valley. A very cool camera!

The link to that footage if you haven't seen it >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT4lDU-QLUY&t=62s

Wow, that video is a trip watching. Crazy just to watch a day-in-the-life sort of stuff that high quality from the early 90s.

More ZD pics with the 55mm f2.8

And then I actually was able to remove the IR cut filter from a filter cartridge I bought on ebay, allowing me to shoot infrared:

DWMO and JayTz_Photography have reacted to this post.
DWMOJayTz_Photography
Happy snappin' 🙂

@kanaifilm

@dwmo

@james-warner-b

This camera has a very particular look to it and I just now placed it. Have you ever seen that HD footage from the 90s? That's the same kind of vibe I get from these pictures. The character of the image suggests something old but the amount of detail captured is much higher than I expect and it creates this media version of the uncanny valley. A very cool camera!

The link to that footage if you haven't seen it >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT4lDU-QLUY&t=62s

A wonderful combination: increased resolution, limited dynamic range and older optics. dream team.

welcome and thanks for the posts. Keep those photos coming! stunning images.

Quote from James Warner on May 8, 2023, 11:56 pm

@kanaifilm

@dwmo

@james-warner-b

Wow, that video is a trip watching. Crazy just to watch a day-in-the-life sort of stuff that high quality from the early 90s.

More ZD pics with the 55mm f2.8

And then I actually was able to remove the IR cut filter from a filter cartridge I bought on ebay, allowing me to shoot infrared:

I'm loving that infra-red! more please!

Quote from James Warner on May 8, 2023, 11:53 pm

Fantastic work! What lens are you using with yours? Fun to meet so many ZD shooters for such a rare camera.

I know! I thought i'd be the only one shooting this camera haha.

I mainly shoot with Mamiya 645 AF 80mm 2.8. It does flare easily and not the biggest fan on how it flares, but could not justify buying a better lens (ie hasselblad 80 2.8). Photos of flare sample before and after edit.

Uploaded files:
  • Select120_011_Before.jpg
  • Select120_011.jpg
James Warner, SpruceBruce and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBruceDWMOJayTz_Photography
PreviousPage 2 of 4Next