Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Dalsa CCD "Medium Format" DSLR -- Mamiya ZD

Page 1 of 4Next

Hi Y'all!

Just discovered the youtube channel, have been binging it, love it! So here I find myself.

Just wanting to share my rather unique old DSLR which has a 22MP "medium format" Dalsa CCD sensor.
Now its not actually as big as a 645 film photo site, it's like an ASPC of the medium format. It's 48x36mm, which is bigger then the FUJI GFX series and Pentax 645D and Z.

It was released back in 2006. the CCD isn't very good above 200-400 iso. so its great for a sunny days. So its just like having a film camera....but digital.

Got it cheap-ish from a Cash Converters, which is a chain of pawn shops here is Australia. Sadly the 150mm lens supplied is stuck / fused at a random focal point.

Has anyone got one and or used one before?

Beau Carpenter and EckyH have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterEckyH

Welcome!

That is a very exciting camera you found! I have not delved into medium format much so I had never heard of it before now. Do you have any pics to share even with that fused lens? Seems like a common enough lens mount that it shouldn't be too tough to find a working one. I'm interested to learn more!

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂

@james-warner-b

Thanks for creating this space.

As requested, please find attached images. Also please note I've added a Pentax K-20D for size comparison.

Uploaded files:
  • 01.jpg
  • 02.jpg
  • 04.jpg
  • 05.jpg
  • 03.jpg
Beau Carpenter, SpruceBruce and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterSpruceBruceThePrettyDamnedEckyHOutspaceKat

That is a TALL camera! I love the look of it though. The square display and tall stacked viewfinder are really cool looking. It looks like a lot of the control follow the normal DSLR design of controls, just in a larger size. I can't wait to see what photos you can get from this camera!

Happy snappin' 🙂

What a tank!

*ebays*

God I'm jealous! What a beauty! Just Flickred some photos taken with it, and they're bloody gorgeous too. If you ever feel like selling...

SpruceBruce

Here are some pics SOOC.

Please note the 150mm lens i have is stuck, so I have to move back n forth just to focus it.

Looking at the pics, they are quite de-saturated. Will post more once my third party battery charger arrives.

Uploaded files:
  • MMFC0037.jpg
  • MMFC0038.jpg
  • MMFC0040.jpg
SpruceBruce
Quote from DWMO on November 4, 2022, 11:58 pm

Here are some pics SOOC.

Please note the 150mm lens i have is stuck, so I have to move back n forth just to focus it.

Looking at the pics, they are quite de-saturated. Will post more once my third party battery charger arrives.

Thanks for posting those, and straight from the camera! It's always interesting seeing how a camera produces it's JPEGs, and what the engineers decided to do for the default colors. Desaturated is fine, often cameras oversaturate JPEGs in my opinion. Probably to get more instantly pleasing photographs. I am excited to see more as you continue to shoot with it!

SpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂

@james-warner-b

Did you recently make a purchase?

I saw a very familiar figure in your most recent video.

What lens did you manage to find? Did you get an 80mm auto-focus lens with the 150mm? I only have a 150mm which can now turn! so I can manual focus!

If my suspicions are correct I can't wait for the video.

p.s. how do you feel now that you have delved into (almost) Medium format?

SpruceBruce
Quote from DWMO on March 9, 2023, 9:48 pm

@james-warner-b

Did you recently make a purchase?

I saw a very familiar figure in your most recent video.

What lens did you manage to find? Did you get an 80mm auto-focus lens with the 150mm? I only have a 150mm which can now turn! so I can manual focus!

If my suspicions are correct I can't wait for the video.

p.s. how do you feel now that you have delved into (almost) Medium format?

Yes! And thanks for first making me aware of the camera. I've been on the lookout ever since, and one finally came up for a really good price that I couldn't refuse.

Mine came bundled with the 55mm f2.8 AF and then I found a $100 120mm F4 macro (!). Can't believe my luck there. Right after I bought the camera that that was listed.

The 80mm f2.8 will be on my list too if I can snag a deal. In the meantime the 120mm macro actually makes for a pretty nice portrait lens. At 1:1 macro is is HUGE. Longer than my Pentax 300mm f4 prime lens. I'll share more pics of the setup soon. I'm putting together a blog post of my first impressions.

I'm glad to hear you're able to focus the 150mm now! You'll have to take more pics and share them with us here.

DWMO has reacted to this post.
DWMO
Happy snappin' 🙂
Page 1 of 4Next