Please or Register to create posts and topics.

DA* 300mm f4 (cropped vs Sigma 150-500mm

I was curious to see how well the DA* 300mm will hold up against the Sigma 150-500mm DG OS HSM. Is it better to get the DA* 300mm and crop afterwards or get a 500mm zoom? So for this specific use case, I thought it's ok to compare different focal lengths. Read on to find out!

To keep the playing field fair, I tested both lenses at f8 and the same ISO. In this test, I used the Pentax KP.

First image is the FOV difference between the 300mm and the 500mm.

2nd image is a heavily cropped view of the same images.

Clearly, the DA* 300mm f4 wins.

p.s. I have since sold my Sigma 150-500m as a simply don't see the reason to keep it after this test. The versatility of the zoom is outweighed by the shear size of this lens so out it goes. Also, I know that the Sigma's weak at 500mm so it is a bit unfair but I wouldn't use 400mm as it wouldn't be any sharper once cropped. 🙂

Uploaded files:
  • 2021-07-21-11_59_30-Photos.jpg
  • 2021-07-21-12_03_53-Photos.jpg
Beau Carpenter, SpruceBruce and vector have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterSpruceBrucevector

Great comparison! I had never given thought to telephoto primes, but they are definitely on my radar now.

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce

I love these back to back image comparisons shooting the same scene. Thanks for providing them!

This is particularly relevant to me because I also sold my Sigma 150-500 just a few days ago (in Canon EF mount), and was thinking about whether I should replace it with something similar in Pentax K-Mount. The obvious choice would be the 150-450, but that's more than I can justify spending right now. Maybe I need to consider the 300mm instead.

In defence of the Sigma 150-500, its still hasn't reached "peak sharpness" at 500mm by F8. I found that my copy kept getting sharper at F10+. Obviously not very practical for wildlife photography, but I enjoyed using to shot the moon instead. below is a sample. By stacking lots of frames (from memory this is over 300), you get a very high SNR, and you can aggressively sharpen the image to recover a lot of the lens softness. If only birds held perfectly still for minutes at a time, I could have produced great wildlife images too hahaha

The Moon

James Warner, Tristan Carlos and Beau Carpenter have reacted to this post.
James WarnerTristan CarlosBeau Carpenter
Quote from Eye.n.Eye on July 28, 2021, 12:04 pm

I love these back to back image comparisons shooting the same scene. Thanks for providing them!

This is particularly relevant to me because I also sold my Sigma 150-500 just a few days ago (in Canon EF mount), and was thinking about whether I should replace it with something similar in Pentax K-Mount. The obvious choice would be the 150-450, but that's more than I can justify spending right now. Maybe I need to consider the 300mm instead.

In defence of the Sigma 150-500, its still hasn't reached "peak sharpness" at 500mm by F8. I found that my copy kept getting sharper at F10+. Obviously not very practical for wildlife photography, but I enjoyed using to shot the moon instead. below is a sample. By stacking lots of frames (from memory this is over 300), you get a very high SNR, and you can aggressively sharpen the image to recover a lot of the lens softness. If only birds held perfectly still for minutes at a time, I could have produced great wildlife images too hahaha

The Moon

Stunning moon shot!

From the Pentax wildlife photographers I follow the DA* 300mm with the HD DA 1.4x teleconverter is pretty much the defacto. I don't know if that's because of the price of the 150-450, or just that the 150-450 is newer. The 150-450 does seem to have excellent results.

I don't have the HD DA 1.4x teleconverter but it's on my list now that I am shooting more small song birds and feel like I need more reach.

Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from Eye.n.Eye on July 28, 2021, 12:04 pm

The Moon

I've never seen a moon photo quite like that! Fantastic image