Please or Register to create posts and topics.

could use an opinion

PreviousPage 2 of 2
Quote from denniscrommett on February 15, 2022, 8:11 pm

I haven't used an X-Pro1, but have used an X-T1 extensively. So I know it's not totally apples to apples, so this may not be 100% helpful, but I can definitely put in a vote for 16MP Fujis. I feel like you read all over the place that there's just something about that sensor, and it's true. Now that I've been in X100F land for a while (and before that X-T2), I can sort of "see" the fewer pixels or whatever of the 16MP vs. the 24MP, but I don't think it means the photos from the 24MP cameras are better. There is something deep and warm and even creamy about the 16MP Fuji sensor (I guess X-Pro1 and X-T1 are different, but still). Speaking of lenses, I've mostly used the XF 35mm f2 which, let me tell you, skip the more expensive f1.4 and go for the f2, it's amazing. So again, I'm not sure this is helpful, but it's a vote for a 16MP Fuji. Here are a couple photos from my trip to Acadia National Park last summer; X-T1 with 35mm f2.

Those images are really something. I just want to keep looking at them. I think you're right about the 16MP sensors, and I think it's something that applies across brands. The images just look so pleasing. The colors are so nice and you're right, there's a "dreamy" quality about it. For whatever reason it seems like 16MP is some sort of digital photography sweet spot.

denniscrommett has reacted to this post.
denniscrommett
Quote from denniscrommett on February 16, 2022, 2:48 pm

That is very interesting @tristanludlow about the f1.4 being optically corrected vs. the digitally stretched f2; huh! Do you think it has much bearing on the final product? I'm always toying with the idea of going back to an X-T-something and debate which lens would go along for the ride. And good point about the X-Trans sensors, yeah I guess they are different. Would be fun to have both side by side some day and try stuff. There must be a lottery ticket around here somewhere....

I don't think so  at least from the images I had with all the Fujicrons, I never really noticed anything weird. Not enough to notice unless you really pixel peep. I think Fuji was very smart with the design tbh. They purposely designed it to distort to make the lens very small but only until the point where they can still digitally correct it well enough for it to still be very sharp. It's a good balance!

denniscrommett has reacted to this post.
denniscrommett
Quote from tristancarlos on February 16, 2022, 8:34 am
Quote from Gawad on February 16, 2022, 4:06 am

thank you to everyone for your advices and I guess it's true that with this price the worst case scenario would be me re-selling it and actually making alittle extra money.

also the sample images are wonderful thank you @denniscrommett and @ahoyhere.

@tristanludlow sadly the used market here isn't that helpful because of import fees and such so most cameras are scarce (especially fujis for some reason) and way overpriced so I think this was a catch, also honestly the 1.44m dots is hopefully a huge upgrade from my former camera's 230k dot evf because that's one of the main reasons I'm making the switch.

again thanks to everyone and it's lovely to see the community growing

Great stuff!

I guess from 230k dot EVF, the X-Pro1 will be a huuuuge upgrade. Now that you've bought it, here are the advantages of the X-Pro1:

1. SOOC JPEGS are awesome despite the lack of film sim
  2. Hybrid OVF / EVF is always a pleasure to use
  3. +1000% sexy points when you carry it with you
  4. the white focus peaking is not too bad. I still think Fuji has the best focus peaking in the market.
  5. Did I mention it is one heck of a sexy camera??!

Please share some photos once you have it! 🙂

@denniscrommet totally agree with the X-T1's output and the 35mm f2. Something to note though that the 35mm 1.4 is optically corrected so the distortion is very minimal out of the bat. The 35mm f2 though is digitally corrected and it is baked in all Fuji cameras. This means that the corners are stretched out digitally. That said, it is still a very good lens. The Fujicrons in general are worth having.

Also, although the X-T1 and X-Pro1 have 16MP sensors, they're not the same. The X-Pro1 has the X-trans 1 sensor and the X-T1 has the X-trans II. Some say that the X-trans II is the best of all X-trans sensors. I tend to agree with that although I sold all my Fuji hear sometime 2 years ago. I owned most bodies in the past like X-M1, X-A1, X-A3, X-A5, X-pro1, X-T1, X-T2, XT-20, X-Pro2 and some others I may have missed.

yep got it today and I totally agree on the sexy factor +20 points due to the additional grip.

I still can't use it right now because I'm having troubles with finding an adapter locally but as soon as I get it I'll make sure to share some shots

Uploaded files:
  • w2mqxc.jpg
James Warner, Tristan Carlos and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
James WarnerTristan CarlosSpruceBruce

Thank you @jbp, as Andy Samberg's impression of Nicholas Cage says, "that's high praise!" I do really appreciate it. Remember summer? (Though tomorrow it's going to be in the 50's here in MA; whoa!) And thanks for the insights into the 35's @tristanludlow, very interesting! And man @gawad that does look fantastic and I hope you'll post some photos with it soon! All of this has gotten me thinking about the 16mp Fuji cameras I have known and loved again. Thanks a lot! Haha.

Gawad and JBP have reacted to this post.
GawadJBP
PreviousPage 2 of 2