Please or Register to create posts and topics.

could use an opinion

Page 1 of 2Next

so I've just finished talking to someone about buying their fuji xpro1 but I wanted to make sure it's the right step, has anyone here used the camera?

this one looks like it's in a good condition with one problem being in the hot shoe (but I'm paying 178) dollars for the thing and I don't really use a flash.

my concern is with it being an older camera especially that I'm not that sure about the reduced resolution from my 20mp sony a3500, I'm mainly looking to upgrade for the viewfinder and screen resolution because I use manual lenses and I find that I miss focus on too many shots.

sooo basically would you guys think it's a good decision, and is my concern with resolution not really worth the worry?

So I owned the xpro1 for a few months a couple years ago. I used adapted vintage glass on it exclusively. I don't remember a whole lot from it other than I really enjoyed shooting with it. I thought the controls were pretty easy to get used to and the jpeg profiles were fun to play with. The image quality was nice but didn't jump out to me. I'm sure that was more me than the camera though as I've seen great results with it. I would have liked to try native fuji glass as it is a small camera, which makes adaptive glass kind of large on it. I'm sure you're used to that with your Sony already.

The hybrid viewfinder was cool too. For that price I think it's a good pickup! I'm not sure if you would gain much IQ wise over your Sony, but it's certainly a neat camera otherwise.

Gawad has reacted to this post.
Gawad
Happy snappin' 🙂

thank you so much for your help.

Honestly if I get similar image quality to what I get now I'd be more than satisfied honestly, if I get just that with the improvement in controls and the evf I won't see myself changing cameras anytime soon.

I'll definitely keep you guys up to date tho.

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce

I shot the XT20 a bit, Fuji really shines with it's film recipe and JPEG engine.  I really liked Focus peaking on mine, it definitely helps nail focus, it's hyper sensitive.  Native Fuji glass is very expensive, but it's starting to come down in price a tad bit now days.  There's lot of cheap third party glass too.

Gawad and JBP have reacted to this post.
GawadJBP
Quote from Gawad on February 14, 2022, 6:36 pm

so I've just finished talking to someone about buying their fuji xpro1 but I wanted to make sure it's the right step, has anyone here used the camera?

this one looks like it's in a good condition with one problem being in the hot shoe (but I'm paying 178) dollars for the thing and I don't really use a flash.

my concern is with it being an older camera especially that I'm not that sure about the reduced resolution from my 20mp sony a3500, I'm mainly looking to upgrade for the viewfinder and screen resolution because I use manual lenses and I find that I miss focus on too many shots.

sooo basically would you guys think it's a good decision, and is my concern with resolution not really worth the worry?

I owned the X-Pro1 and still own the X-pro2.

Main issues are:

1. There's no ISO dial unlike newer Fujis.
  2. The build quality seems lacking compared to the X-Pro2
  3. The EVF resolution is low so it's not really ideal for manual focus lenses
  4. There's no classic chrome. There's a very limited number of film simulations.
  5. focus peaking colour is white only which is also not ideal for manual focus lenses
  6. no electronic shutter. You're stuck with the clunky-sounding old school mechanical shutter
  7. there's no way of knowing the real shutter count. Who knows, maybe it's nearing its end of life?

My 2 cents, if you want to use manual lenses, go for the X-T1. It has a much bigger EVF and much higher resolution.

p.s. I bought my X-Pro1 for 200 EUR but it had the EF-X20 flash (the nice old school one from Fuji.. metal and compact). THen I sold the X-Pro1 a few months later for the same price... so free EF-X20 worth 100 EUR used here in Germany 🙂

James Warner, Gawad and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerGawaddenniscrommettCarl

I haven't used an X-Pro1, but have used an X-T1 extensively. So I know it's not totally apples to apples, so this may not be 100% helpful, but I can definitely put in a vote for 16MP Fujis. I feel like you read all over the place that there's just something about that sensor, and it's true. Now that I've been in X100F land for a while (and before that X-T2), I can sort of "see" the fewer pixels or whatever of the 16MP vs. the 24MP, but I don't think it means the photos from the 24MP cameras are better. There is something deep and warm and even creamy about the 16MP Fuji sensor (I guess X-Pro1 and X-T1 are different, but still). Speaking of lenses, I've mostly used the XF 35mm f2 which, let me tell you, skip the more expensive f1.4 and go for the f2, it's amazing. So again, I'm not sure this is helpful, but it's a vote for a 16MP Fuji. Here are a couple photos from my trip to Acadia National Park last summer; X-T1 with 35mm f2.

Uploaded files:
  • crommett-acadia-xt134.jpg
  • crommett-acadia-xt135.jpg
  • crommett-acadia-xt133.jpg
James Warner, Tristan Carlos and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerTristan CarlosSpruceBruceGawadJBPahoyhere

I can’t comment on the body of the Xpro1 but I have an x M1 and it has the same sensor. The sensor is really good. yes it’s only 16 megapixels but those are really good megapixels for lack of a better way to say it. Even the high iso and latitude performance is very good for a camera of that age. It works beautifully with vintage lenses. I think I paid 125 for my body which was a good price although not a special deal. I bought it to try out the Fuji system cheaply and I really like it. I think at the price you’re talking about you can sell it again if you don’t like it And not lose any money. Sorry for the grammar this was dictated.

Here are some examples with different vintage lenses: https://www.flickr.com/photos/spiffariffic/albums/72177720296640156

Gawad has reacted to this post.
Gawad

thank you to everyone for your advices and I guess it's true that with this price the worst case scenario would be me re-selling it and actually making alittle extra money.

also the sample images are wonderful thank you @denniscrommett and @ahoyhere.

@tristanludlow sadly the used market here isn't that helpful because of import fees and such so most cameras are scarce (especially fujis for some reason) and way overpriced so I think this was a catch, also honestly the 1.44m dots is hopefully a huge upgrade from my former camera's 230k dot evf because that's one of the main reasons I'm making the switch.

again thanks to everyone and it's lovely to see the community growing

Tristan Carlos and ahoyhere have reacted to this post.
Tristan Carlosahoyhere
Quote from Gawad on February 16, 2022, 4:06 am

thank you to everyone for your advices and I guess it's true that with this price the worst case scenario would be me re-selling it and actually making alittle extra money.

also the sample images are wonderful thank you @denniscrommett and @ahoyhere.

@tristanludlow sadly the used market here isn't that helpful because of import fees and such so most cameras are scarce (especially fujis for some reason) and way overpriced so I think this was a catch, also honestly the 1.44m dots is hopefully a huge upgrade from my former camera's 230k dot evf because that's one of the main reasons I'm making the switch.

again thanks to everyone and it's lovely to see the community growing

Great stuff!

I guess from 230k dot EVF, the X-Pro1 will be a huuuuge upgrade. Now that you've bought it, here are the advantages of the X-Pro1:

1. SOOC JPEGS are awesome despite the lack of film sim
  2. Hybrid OVF / EVF is always a pleasure to use
  3. +1000% sexy points when you carry it with you
  4. the white focus peaking is not too bad. I still think Fuji has the best focus peaking in the market.
  5. Did I mention it is one heck of a sexy camera??!

Please share some photos once you have it! 🙂

@denniscrommet totally agree with the X-T1's output and the 35mm f2. Something to note though that the 35mm 1.4 is optically corrected so the distortion is very minimal out of the bat. The 35mm f2 though is digitally corrected and it is baked in all Fuji cameras. This means that the corners are stretched out digitally. That said, it is still a very good lens. The Fujicrons in general are worth having.

Also, although the X-T1 and X-Pro1 have 16MP sensors, they're not the same. The X-Pro1 has the X-trans 1 sensor and the X-T1 has the X-trans II. Some say that the X-trans II is the best of all X-trans sensors. I tend to agree with that although I sold all my Fuji hear sometime 2 years ago. I owned most bodies in the past like X-M1, X-A1, X-A3, X-A5, X-pro1, X-T1, X-T2, XT-20, X-Pro2 and some others I may have missed.

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP

That is very interesting @tristanludlow about the f1.4 being optically corrected vs. the digitally stretched f2; huh! Do you think it has much bearing on the final product? I'm always toying with the idea of going back to an X-T-something and debate which lens would go along for the ride. And good point about the X-Trans sensors, yeah I guess they are different. Would be fun to have both side by side some day and try stuff. There must be a lottery ticket around here somewhere....

Page 1 of 2Next