Please or Register to create posts and topics.

CCD Cameras for Video

What are your favorites?

The diminutive Lumix FZ47 is the best I've found. It has full manual control in video, a stabilized superzoom lens, and 1080P (which looks more like 720P). Unfortunately, it only shoots at 29.97fps, and there is no flip or tilt screen, and no live HDMI output for monitoring or external recording. That being said, I do enjoy the noisy and artifact-laden footage from this little 1/2.3" CCD sensor (which is actually a bigger sensor than most consumer and prosumer camcorders from the CCD era). Here's something that I shot a while back.

When used in conjunction with Topaz Video Enhance AI, I can get an image that looks a little sharper and cleaner, but I think that it robs of the footage of some of its charm.

Anyway, I'm curious to know if there are any other CCD cameras with full manual control in video. Other than the Lumix LX5 (which I do not own), the FZ35 (720P only) and some of the Canon Powershot cameras like the Canon S95/G12 that can be hacked with CHDK to achieve manual control, I don't know of any. I am hoping that others on this forum might!

I was hoping others might have more info about this than I do. I'm not a big video shooter to begin with, but I especially haven't tinkered with CCD video. At least not for looking for the best ones. I do often shoot video on my old cameras just to play with and enjoy the digi vibes. A video I'm releasing in a few days will have footage from a particularly unique one.

You've covered the same and a little more than my knowledge goes. But this does give me an idea to add a feature to my classiccameradatabase website to include a field for manual control in video, then make that searchable. Long list of features I am trying to add, and not enough time! But that would be really helpful for you and others looking for this kind of thing quickly.

Good luck! Sorry I wasn't any help.

Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from James Warner on October 26, 2022, 2:23 am

But this does give me an idea to add a feature to my classiccameradatabase website to include a field for manual control in video, then make that searchable.

That would be a great addition to your site. I don't expect that it will be a very long list. I have been looking at this for several years now but always hoping that I've overlooked something. I don't think that I have, but you never know.

Looking forward your upcoming video.