Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Call me Mr K3-III ¿?

Page 1 of 2Next

Alright so it seems I just bought a second K3-III, in silver this time. On ebay. From a German Seller. It has a very lower shutter count. It shows wear on the outside. I will need to sell my K-3 Silver with grip, box etc...... that has 200K actuations.

Oh my, it was such a good deal to not give it a try. So the guy was selling it a 1000€. He left it go for 840€ + shipping. If it works as it should, it looks as a good bargain.

James Warner, Tristan Carlos and grover have reacted to this post.
James WarnerTristan Carlosgrover
My social media: https://linktr.ee/F1photo
Quote from red5isalive on November 26, 2023, 8:58 pm

Alright so it seems I just bought a second K3-III, in silver this time. On ebay. From a German Seller. It has a very lower shutter count. It shows wear on the outside. I will need to sell my K-3 Silver with grip, box etc...... that has 200K actuations.

Oh my, it was such a good deal to not give it a try. So the guy was selling it a 1000€. He left it go for 840€ + shipping. If it works as it should, it looks as a good bargain.

Great deal! Will you use it in the field with a second lens attached for quick switching? Or just in the bag as a backup? 

Daniel Gonzalez has reacted to this post.
Daniel Gonzalez
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from James Warner on November 27, 2023, 2:59 am
Quote from red5isalive on November 26, 2023, 8:58 pm

Great deal! Will you use it in the field with a second lens attached for quick switching? Or just in the bag as a backup? 

Yes totally 2nd body for boxes, pitlane and starting grids. That's the idea 😀

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP

Awesome, congrats!

Quote from JBP on November 29, 2023, 4:33 pm

Awesome, congrats!

Thank you! 

That was not the idea, the idea was most likely to swich systems but.....

Hello to everyone,

I am using the Pentaxs K3-III and I have the following doubt, maybe you know a different answer.

As you might know I shoot motorsport, so I would like to shoot (sometimes) using the camera's electronic shutter + Viewfinder / EVF (i need to see the car I chase) and I'm not a big fan of Live View.

Do you know if there is any way of combining both? I have tested at home right now the Electronical Shutter and it blocks the EVF / ViewFinder.

It might be I am missing to configure something or I might need to upgrade to the latest firmware, I don't know.
Thank you very much!
Quote from red5isalive on January 24, 2024, 9:44 am
Hello to everyone,

I am using the Pentaxs K3-III and I have the following doubt, maybe you know a different answer.

As you might know I shoot motorsport, so I would like to shoot (sometimes) using the camera's electronic shutter + Viewfinder / EVF (i need to see the car I chase) and I'm not a big fan of Live View.

Do you know if there is any way of combining both? I have tested at home right now the Electronical Shutter and it blocks the EVF / ViewFinder.

It might be I am missing to configure something or I might need to upgrade to the latest firmware, I don't know.
Thank you very much!

Okay I have asked and that makes sense, the mirror locks up and doesn't allow you to see using the viewfinder.  :S

Quote from red5isalive on January 24, 2024, 3:27 pm
Hello to everyone,

Thank you very much!

Okay I have asked and that makes sense, the mirror locks up and doesn't allow you to see using the viewfinder.  :S

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but I am able to use the viewfinder with electronic shutter. The mirror stays down so I can see through the viewfinder, then the mirror comes up to take the photo and falls back down again after. Of course, the sound of the mechanical shutter is missing which sounds odd! lol

First step is to make sure the camera is not in live view mode. Then, the shutter mode option should be in the quick menu (info button) by default, but if not go to the Still Image menu page 4 and you will see it under Shutter Mode Selection. If that's what you've done and you can't see through the viewfinder, I think something isn't right.

Why are you wanting to use the electronic shutter for motorsports? To create a distortion on purpose? That could be a neat effect. Sometimes it looks ugly, other times it looks really neat.

Daniel Gonzalez
Quote from JBP on January 25, 2024, 3:29 am
Hello to everyone,

Thank you very much!

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but I am able to use the viewfinder with electronic shutter. The mirror stays down so I can see through the viewfinder, then the mirror comes up to take the photo and falls back down again after. Of course, the sound of the mechanical shutter is missing which sounds odd! lol

First step is to make sure the camera is not in live view mode. Then, the shutter mode option should be in the quick menu (info button) by default, but if not go to the Still Image menu page 4 and you will see it under Shutter Mode Selection. If that's what you've done and you can't see through the viewfinder, I think something isn't right.

Why are you wanting to use the electronic shutter for motorsports? To create a distortion on purpose? That could be a neat effect. Sometimes it looks ugly, other times it looks really neat.

No, not really,no.

It is just that I have used some mirrorless cameras (Olympus) on field in the past and they are very quick and having the chance to have an Electronic Shutter here in our camera I thought that maybe it was a better option. It seems to me (and I might be wrong) that shoots more frames (someone told me it does not) and so on. 

But yes the mirror is up and I can't see anything xD

Quote from red5isalive on January 25, 2024, 7:46 am
Quote from JBP on January 25, 2024, 3:29 am
Hello to everyone,

Thank you very much!

No, not really,no.

It is just that I have used some mirrorless cameras (Olympus) on field in the past and they are very quick and having the chance to have an Electronic Shutter here in our camera I thought that maybe it was a better option. It seems to me (and I might be wrong) that shoots more frames (someone told me it does not) and so on. 

But yes the mirror is up and I can't see anything xD

Gotcha. Even the Olympus is using a mechanical shutter unless you put it on electronic shutter mode, and then you will get distortion effects in the image in certain situations, like photographing fast-moving things.  Yes, I have seen that, some have crazy high frame rates in electronic shutter mode! I think they're up to 60 fps or more now... I'd be out of hard drive space so fast! haha

That's so weird that the mirror just locks up. It seems like your camera is either going into Live View mode or mirror lock up mode, instead of electronic shutter mode. I'm not sure why it is doing that. If everything else works fine then I don't know what kind of problem would cause this. Hopefully it's just some setting isn't right somewhere. Sorry I'm not more help.

Side note, if you do get it to work, you can shoot completely silently in Live View mode when you use the electronic shutter, since the mirror is up and stays up, and the shutter isn't being used. Nice if you want to be discreet (I've used it when my kid doesn't want her picture taken but is being super cute lol). Of course then you have to suffer the terrible Live View autofocus lol

Daniel Gonzalez
Page 1 of 2Next