Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Burnout and Inspiration

PreviousPage 2 of 2
Quote from photography.cory on February 13, 2024, 5:12 am
Quote from grover on February 12, 2024, 5:06 pm

For me, burnout is just part of my regular cycle. I don't even know if I'd call it burnout. I'm never further away than a single keeper shot to getting back into photography whole-hog. My down-cycle usually happens when I either feel like I've got nothing to shoot, I've got other hobbies going on, or the weather is just miserable enough to be a hurdle. That last one, it's the one I'm in now. Winter is really tough for me so I basically know I will put the camera down for those months and instead focus on other things. It's a good cycle to have. In the Spring I find what helps is to go out with a couple buddies and shoot some landscapes. That gets me fired up again.

In short, I think cycles of enthusiasm are completely normal. I think it's natural for everyone to go through. Instead of fearing a loss of interest, try and count on it. Be prepared for down time... learn your cycle and what gets you fired up again once the time comes.

I think your mindset is great and probably the better way to think about it. I think we feel pretty similarly. It's more of a cycle of downtime rather than true burnout or disinterest. Because you're right, if I went out tomorrow and got something I was really excited for, I know the malaise would disappear. If you don't mind sharing, what other hobbies do you spend time with during the winter? Maybe that's another problem, photography is really my only outlet of interest and so when I wind up on that down cycle, it feels especially bad.

Wow sorry I missed this.

Yeah good question. I've had a lot of hobbies in the past. Currently I'm in a consistent cycle of working-on-cars/overlanding/photography/cycling. What's cool about photography is that it can work well with other hobbies. If I'm exploring in my Jeep or riding my bike then I bring my camera with me.

I'm in my mid-40s. I've been into photography since I was a teenager and at this point I know I'll always come back to it!

JBP and Cory Maben have reacted to this post.
JBPCory Maben

I'd love to work on cars, but I simply don't have the space or money. But that is an interesting idea, to find hobbies that are synergistic with photography. I think that's a great place to start thinking about other things to do.

SpruceBruce, JBP and grover have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceJBPgrover
Quote from photography.cory on February 24, 2024, 8:32 am

I'd love to work on cars, but I simply don't have the space or money. But that is an interesting idea, to find hobbies that are synergistic with photography. I think that's a great place to start thinking about other things to do.

Same for me too! I eBike, flyfish, just love driving to old farm towns around rural Minnesota/Wisconsin/Iowa/Dakotas. A camera just mixes naturally to document my journey and experiences.  Work on airplanes for work and sometimes kept my M43 setups in my locker. I'm a supervisor now days, so I don't get outside to photograph planes like I used to

JBP and grover have reacted to this post.
JBPgrover
Quote from SpruceBruce on February 24, 2024, 7:43 pm

Same for me too! I eBike, flyfish, just love driving to old farm towns around rural Minnesota/Wisconsin/Iowa/Dakotas. A camera just mixes naturally to document my journey and experiences.  Work on airplanes for work and sometimes kept my M43 setups in my locker. I'm a supervisor now days, so I don't get outside to photograph planes like I used to

Fly fishing and photography go pretty well together.  The legend himself , Lefty Kreh even wrote a book called "L.L. Bean Guide to Outdoor Photography".  

For whatever reason, it seems like a lot of people who are into Hi-Fi stereos ("audiophiles" as they say) are also into photography. 

Three expensive hobbies. Fly fishing, photography and hi-fidelity. 

JBP and grover have reacted to this post.
JBPgrover

Just chiming in to add that I definitely also experience these ups and downs. I call the low points my "ruts" and I am regularly telling my partner that I'm in a rut and I'll never get out and I'm no good and that's the end of me and photography and what am I doing with my life! As others have said it seems to be part of the cycle, even if I happen to apply my own particular brand of neurosis to it. 

Also, I wanted to champion diversifying your hobbies. They don't even have to be synergistically linked in my opinion. There just needs to be stuff to keep your mind active and engaged. When I was hardcore into running, all I did was run and consume running media and I planned my social life and personal schedule around running (and bought a million running shoes, don't get me started on that). And so, when something happened like injury or illness I went into a meltdown because I didn't know who I was with that massive pillar in my life. It was honestly a miserable existence, and I loved running! If I'm only doing photography and not focusing on running or any other hobby at all, I run the risk of the same thing happening. In my experience, the more "stuff" you have to pull from in your hobby kit the less likely you'll overemphasize one of them. When I put too much weight in a hobby and burden myself with internally-generated expectations (whether that is quality, output, whatever else seems like what I "should" be doing) it robs me of the joy of the hobby. Plus, you never know where inspiration will come from, and having other stuff to fill your headspace with could electro-shock you into inspiration in ways you didn't see coming. 

Growth, art, life--these things do not progress in a linear way. Joy is a part of those experiences but so is pain and discomfort. Embrace it all (he says, fully aware that this is easier said than done)

Cory Maben has reacted to this post.
Cory Maben
Quote from prisonwine on February 28, 2024, 11:58 am

Just chiming in to add that I definitely also experience these ups and downs. I call the low points my "ruts" and I am regularly telling my partner that I'm in a rut and I'll never get out and I'm no good and that's the end of me and photography and what am I doing with my life! As others have said it seems to be part of the cycle, even if I happen to apply my own particular brand of neurosis to it. 

Also, I wanted to champion diversifying your hobbies. They don't even have to be synergistically linked in my opinion. There just needs to be stuff to keep your mind active and engaged. When I was hardcore into running, all I did was run and consume running media and I planned my social life and personal schedule around running (and bought a million running shoes, don't get me started on that). And so, when something happened like injury or illness I went into a meltdown because I didn't know who I was with that massive pillar in my life. It was honestly a miserable existence, and I loved running! If I'm only doing photography and not focusing on running or any other hobby at all, I run the risk of the same thing happening. In my experience, the more "stuff" you have to pull from in your hobby kit the less likely you'll overemphasize one of them. When I put too much weight in a hobby and burden myself with internally-generated expectations (whether that is quality, output, whatever else seems like what I "should" be doing) it robs me of the joy of the hobby. Plus, you never know where inspiration will come from, and having other stuff to fill your headspace with could electro-shock you into inspiration in ways you didn't see coming. 

Growth, art, life--these things do not progress in a linear way. Joy is a part of those experiences but so is pain and discomfort. Embrace it all (he says, fully aware that this is easier said than done)

I can definitely relate to a lot of what you said. Particularly about the panic that happens when I stop and the internal expectations. I cannot count the number of times I have told myself "you should be going out and taking photos today" and then feeling guilty when I don't, or like I've somehow let myself down.

prisonwine has reacted to this post.
prisonwine
PreviousPage 2 of 2