Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Burnout and Inspiration

Page 1 of 2Next

Hey everyone. I'm curious how you guys deal with burnout. I haven't shot anything for around a month now and I'm struggling to get out and shoot. I feel like I've 'shot everything' around me so many times that it's no longer exciting and fun to go out. I have this feeling like I know exactly what shots I'm going to get and nothing seems particularly enticing. As I look into the future this seems like a constant problem. Am I going to need an ever increasing range and budget for vacations and trips? What happens when I get bored of those places as well?

I watched a video recently talking about this. He recommended getting back into the mindset of enjoying the process, to not go out with the expectation of getting a photo, but just enjoying being outdoors or the exercise or what have you. But with it being winter I'm likely to just rained on and be wet and cold which really makes it a challenge to enjoy the process.

Does anyone have any processes they use to keep themselves motivated or enjoying the process? Any tips for things to do to keep engaged while the weather is bad?

prisonwine has reacted to this post.
prisonwine

I go through this a few times a year. Typically, just burnout, less than feeling like I've run out of things to shoot. Sometimes it will coincide with busy life events and I pretty much stop for a month or more at a time, only taking family photos (and less of those even). It happens much less often now, usually only from not having time and less from burnout.

Here are a few things that have helped me with burnout in general. First one is what I do when I feel like there's nothing to photograph.

- If I'm somewhere I've photographed a million times before, like the hiking trail closest to me, I tend to bring a macro. There's always macros everywhere, even in your house. Even better, choose a focal length you've never used there before and stick to it. Handicaps force us to see things differently. It's counterintuitive but being limited often opens a creative door. Basically just forcing yourself to "do it different" with some limitation like gear choice or style like "I'm going to do composite exposures today" or "I'm going to do abstract stuff" or "I'm going to do intentional camera movement" etc.

- Taking photos for me and only me. If other people like them, that feels great, and I'll still share them. But they're for me. I don't care if everyone hates it, or if I'm breaking some stupid photography "rule." If I like it that's what matters.

- Honestly, the excitement of new gear. This one really motivates me to get out and shoot more than anything. But it's dangerous, easy to spend too much money. Used, of course. Old is great. But I've also started only buying stuff I know I can sell for close to or even more than I bought it for, and that has helped a ton. Finding those deals has become a bit of its own hobby, actually lol.

- Changing my photography to suit the season, the area, or my mood, instead of trying to force it in some way. Sometimes I really want to shoot wildlife but the light is terrible for that, so I pivot and lean into B&W environmental shots or something.

- Finding inspiration from YouTube, Flickr, here. Seeing other people's photos and stories can be motivating. Learning a new technique or composition or trying to imitate a style. Seeing something you love and going out to imitate it is 100% a great way to learn and is not copying. You will not get the exact same result anyway. It motivates and gives something to strive for and is rewarding when you learn that new technique or whatever and make a kind of photo you never did before.

- Bringing along a photography buddy. You can point out shots to each other that suits whatever gear we're using, or have a little competition, or just have a like mind to pass the time with even if you have no shots.

- Being OK with imperfect photos. I used to get so burnt out from out of focus shots, or missed timing, or getting the exposure wrong. That stuff wore me down. I learned to not care so much anymore. I was enjoying photographing, pushing myself and learning and that's what mattered. Then I could have fun again.

- Being OK with not getting any shots you like. It's like fishing, or hunting. Sometimes you just come home empty handed. It sucks but it happens to everyone, even the best.

This channel has some videos that are very encouraging on that front. Just get out and shoot and embrace the imperfections. And if there are "no shots" just shoot anyway and you might be surprised! He definitely has a video on burnout too but I don't see it right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d34Li_hlnpg

I know most of that may not be specific to your situation, but maybe some of it will help!

SpruceBruce, grover and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
SpruceBrucegroverCory Mabenprisonwine
Quote from JBP on January 26, 2024, 12:06 am

I go through this a few times a year. Typically, just burnout, less than feeling like I've run out of things to shoot. Sometimes it will coincide with busy life events and I pretty much stop for a month or more at a time, only taking family photos (and less of those even). It happens much less often now, usually only from not having time and less from burnout.

Here are a few things that have helped me with burnout in general. First one is what I do when I feel like there's nothing to photograph.

- If I'm somewhere I've photographed a million times before, like the hiking trail closest to me, I tend to bring a macro. There's always macros everywhere, even in your house. Even better, choose a focal length you've never used there before and stick to it. Handicaps force us to see things differently. It's counterintuitive but being limited often opens a creative door. Basically just forcing yourself to "do it different" with some limitation like gear choice or style like "I'm going to do composite exposures today" or "I'm going to do abstract stuff" or "I'm going to do intentional camera movement" etc.

- Taking photos for me and only me. If other people like them, that feels great, and I'll still share them. But they're for me. I don't care if everyone hates it, or if I'm breaking some stupid photography "rule." If I like it that's what matters.

- Honestly, the excitement of new gear. This one really motivates me to get out and shoot more than anything. But it's dangerous, easy to spend too much money. Used, of course. Old is great. But I've also started only buying stuff I know I can sell for close to or even more than I bought it for, and that has helped a ton. Finding those deals has become a bit of its own hobby, actually lol.

- Changing my photography to suit the season, the area, or my mood, instead of trying to force it in some way. Sometimes I really want to shoot wildlife but the light is terrible for that, so I pivot and lean into B&W environmental shots or something.

- Finding inspiration from YouTube, Flickr, here. Seeing other people's photos and stories can be motivating. Learning a new technique or composition or trying to imitate a style. Seeing something you love and going out to imitate it is 100% a great way to learn and is not copying. You will not get the exact same result anyway. It motivates and gives something to strive for and is rewarding when you learn that new technique or whatever and make a kind of photo you never did before.

- Bringing along a photography buddy. You can point out shots to each other that suits whatever gear we're using, or have a little competition, or just have a like mind to pass the time with even if you have no shots.

- Being OK with imperfect photos. I used to get so burnt out from out of focus shots, or missed timing, or getting the exposure wrong. That stuff wore me down. I learned to not care so much anymore. I was enjoying photographing, pushing myself and learning and that's what mattered. Then I could have fun again.

- Being OK with not getting any shots you like. It's like fishing, or hunting. Sometimes you just come home empty handed. It sucks but it happens to everyone, even the best.

This channel has some videos that are very encouraging on that front. Just get out and shoot and embrace the imperfections. And if there are "no shots" just shoot anyway and you might be surprised! He definitely has a video on burnout too but I don't see it right now.

I know most of that may not be specific to your situation, but maybe some of it will help!

Thanks for this! Lots of great advice here in general. I think there are some good ideas in here I want to try like focusing on a particular kind of photography. I have a macro lens and I've never really done a ton of macro, and I remember seeing a video about ICM but I've never tried it. Perhaps if I can get a day without rain I'll go out and try some and also working with limitations. I wish I could justify buying more primes, but I can't at the moment. When I had some primes for my Sony, I found that it added a consistency to my images that I really enjoyed.

I agree thought about it creeping up on you this has happened to me also on a yearly basis. You get busy, or the weather gets bad and then you get out of the habit for a week or two and it's really difficult to get started again.

Since it's a hobby not a job, I really don't see an issue with taking time off.  Most of what I do is wildlife, there is usually birds around somewhere even in winter. There is advantage as you can generally find something. 

Really high quality images are my goal. They don't happen often. I am used to deleting the whole card when I get home.  A pessimist by nature, we are seldom disappointed. 

I do practice technique on pretty much any bird. I think that's helpful. Lots of photographers don't bother with common birds or animals.  I do. 

Cardinal by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

SpruceBruce, JBP and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceJBPCory Mabenprisonwine
Quote from KankRat on January 26, 2024, 6:20 pm

Since it's a hobby not a job, I really don't see an issue with taking time off.  Most of what I do is wildlife, there is usually birds around somewhere even in winter. There is advantage as you can generally find something. 

Really high quality images are my goal. They don't happen often. I am used to deleting the whole card when I get home.  A pessimist by nature, we are seldom disappointed. 

I do practice technique on pretty much any bird. I think that's helpful. Lots of photographers don't bother with common birds or animals.  I do. 

I like the idea of practicing technique instead of taking photos. I think maybe a problem I have is that I am too passive in my photography. I look for compositions until one strikes me as compelling. I work with it for a bit and take some photos. Rarely do I ever intentionally set out to practice a technique. This seems like a really good way to shift the focus from the output back towards the process

Quote from photography.cory on January 25, 2024, 9:06 pm

I feel like I've 'shot everything' around me so many times that it's no longer exciting and fun to go out.

Then take some stuff and compose an in image. Make something worth shooting. Make some visual stories.

As I've gotten more into birding and small wildlife.  My last 4-5 outings, I've only kept a few shots.  I'm all too familiar with the struggle to get good clean images.  It use to frustrate me, but I find it's worth the long haul.  Like my Hummingbird shots this summer.  I spent 5-6 hrs only to keep 5-10 photos a session.  But the payoff is portfolio work to enjoy for years.

Funny enough Cory, your nighttime photography has been inspiring me to try more of it lately.  Foggy winter nights are abound here in MN with our very unseasonally warm El Nino winter here in the Midwest.

Part of what has made me grow as a photographer, critiquing my own work as well.  I'll go back to a same spot next time and with what I observed in post shooting I'll try to correct.  Also like Josh said, forcing yourself into a handicap helps.  I've also learned, even if you have a bad day, don't be so hard on yourself. And I'm a very detail oriented perfectionist by nature.  I fix airplanes for a living, there's no room of mistakes mentality is ingrained.

JBP and Cory Maben have reacted to this post.
JBPCory Maben
Quote from SpruceBruce on January 27, 2024, 1:25 am

As I've gotten more into birding and small wildlife.  My last 4-5 outings, I've only kept a few shots.  I'm all too familiar with the struggle to get good clean images.  It use to frustrate me, but I find it's worth the long haul.  Like my Hummingbird shots this summer.  I spent 5-6 hrs only to keep 5-10 photos a session.  But the payoff is portfolio work to enjoy for years.

Funny enough Cory, your nighttime photography has been inspiring me to try more of it lately.  Foggy winter nights are abound here in MN with our very unseasonally warm El Nino winter here in the Midwest.

Part of what has made me grow as a photographer, critiquing my own work as well.  I'll go back to a same spot next time and with what I observed in post shooting I'll try to correct.  Also like Josh said, forcing yourself into a handicap helps.  I've also learned, even if you have a bad day, don't be so hard on yourself. And I'm a very detail oriented perfectionist by nature.  I fix airplanes for a living, there's no room of mistakes mentality is ingrained.

I'm glad that at least if I'm not going out shooting. I'm inspiring others to get out and do some shooting lol. I think I'm finally reaching the point where the boredom is overpowering my doubts and desire to get something new and interesting I'm planning to go out on my days off unless it's pouring rain again. I think I also need to take some advice I've seen before of diverting money from gear into trips and going someplace new.

For me, burnout is just part of my regular cycle. I don't even know if I'd call it burnout. I'm never further away than a single keeper shot to getting back into photography whole-hog. My down-cycle usually happens when I either feel like I've got nothing to shoot, I've got other hobbies going on, or the weather is just miserable enough to be a hurdle. That last one, it's the one I'm in now. Winter is really tough for me so I basically know I will put the camera down for those months and instead focus on other things. It's a good cycle to have. In the Spring I find what helps is to go out with a couple buddies and shoot some landscapes. That gets me fired up again.

In short, I think cycles of enthusiasm are completely normal. I think it's natural for everyone to go through. Instead of fearing a loss of interest, try and count on it. Be prepared for down time... learn your cycle and what gets you fired up again once the time comes.

Cory Maben and prisonwine have reacted to this post.
Cory Mabenprisonwine
Quote from grover on February 12, 2024, 5:06 pm

For me, burnout is just part of my regular cycle. I don't even know if I'd call it burnout. I'm never further away than a single keeper shot to getting back into photography whole-hog. My down-cycle usually happens when I either feel like I've got nothing to shoot, I've got other hobbies going on, or the weather is just miserable enough to be a hurdle. That last one, it's the one I'm in now. Winter is really tough for me so I basically know I will put the camera down for those months and instead focus on other things. It's a good cycle to have. In the Spring I find what helps is to go out with a couple buddies and shoot some landscapes. That gets me fired up again.

In short, I think cycles of enthusiasm are completely normal. I think it's natural for everyone to go through. Instead of fearing a loss of interest, try and count on it. Be prepared for down time... learn your cycle and what gets you fired up again once the time comes.

I think your mindset is great and probably the better way to think about it. I think we feel pretty similarly. It's more of a cycle of downtime rather than true burnout or disinterest. Because you're right, if I went out tomorrow and got something I was really excited for, I know the malaise would disappear. If you don't mind sharing, what other hobbies do you spend time with during the winter? Maybe that's another problem, photography is really my only outlet of interest and so when I wind up on that down cycle, it feels especially bad.

Page 1 of 2Next