Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Borrowing a Pentax 150-450mm

PreviousPage 2 of 3Next
Quote from James Warner on December 20, 2022, 2:00 am
Quote from red5isalive on December 19, 2022, 7:24 pm
Quote from James Warner on December 19, 2022, 3:03 pm

Thanks for writing up all those details and sharing the pictures. The results look excellent, which of course I attribute mainly to you and your experience, but it does look like the lens maintained resolution even at those longer focal ranges.

I'm actually impressed by the lack of CA with and without the TC. That's one of the main factors I look for in a super zoom, as many struggle with it. Doesn't look like it here. Really looks like a top performer! If I end up pursuing wildlife more after my move (I'm moving) I will really consider picking this one up. It is very pricey, but I think a fair price for the package. Just need to find one used for a discount.

Your welcome James, my pleasure.

So you are moving? :-O

YES! Exactly, there is tiny bits of CA but otherwise it doesn't seem that pictures have been taken with this long telephoto and a teleconverter.

I'd say it's a great investment and I will probably also look for one. The big downside for me is the weight. Specially when flying around, as cabin backpacks have to follow certain measurements. Yet I think it fits, but the overweight might be an issue.

A part from that it's all positives.

And thank you, I tried my best also 🙂 Lots of walking were involved in creating those images.

The weight is something I worry about, but I wouldn't take it on walks with the kids. I'll use a cheaper zoom for those casual outings. This would be my dedicated out in the woods by myself lens. Plus, I can count it as my work out for the day😄

Yes weight is worrying I'd say always xD

Then if you find a good deal I would say just go ahead and take it.

I'd love for Pentax as stated before to do a Version II with and withouth AW (just to make a lens less pricy and lighter) and with a PLM motor on. I think this would be a serious telezoom lens.

As it is right now I am on my way to purchase one second hand 😛 Yet I have first to sell some lenses before, but that's how much I liked it.

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP
My social media: https://linktr.ee/F1photo

Goodness, those images are outstanding. Your photos always soothe my Gear Acquisition Syndrome a bit because you're using a K-3. "Wait a minute, I have a K-3. I need more skill, not a new camera body!" Of course now I deeply desire a 150-450mm. 🤣 The weight and price will keep me in check though. 😅

Thanks for sharing your experience with the lens and those wonderful images. Always a treat!

Daniel Gonzalez has reacted to this post.
Daniel Gonzalez
Quote from JBP on December 28, 2022, 4:00 pm

Goodness, those images are outstanding. Your photos always soothe my Gear Acquisition Syndrome a bit because you're using a K-3. "Wait a minute, I have a K-3. I need more skill, not a new camera body!" Of course now I deeply desire a 150-450mm. 🤣 The weight and price will keep me in check though. 😅

Thanks for sharing your experience with the lens and those wonderful images. Always a treat!

Thank you very much for your kind words. You know that practice makes the master, it's not much more than this.

Yes! It's a K3 that creates those images 🙂

Don't worry me too I am willing to get a 150-450mm lens 😛

Edit:

I must say one last thing and it is that I get exclusive acces, to be on the service track around the racetrack, and THIS is, per se, a big big diference when shooting motorsports in a racetrack. So you should not compare, because you don't have this access. And that also (to not say does it by itself) creates a big diference, it's not my camera or me, but the access that also makes a diference.

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP
Quote from red5isalive on December 19, 2022, 10:27 am

Where do I start?

Okay, first of all I will say I used the lens with my Pentax K3 Silver mostly. And also paired with the Pentax HD DA 1.4x TC.

I would also say that when I learnt how to use the focus limiter the lens reached a quite fast speed while focusing. It's not that is un-usable when using the whole reach, but it definitelly helps if you use the focus limiter as the lens has to work with less amount of distance, and that helps her a lot. No matter if using or not the 1.4x TC. I haven't noticed much diference while using it or not in terms of AutoFocus.

Maybe you can notice a diference when using the whole reach of the lens, not using the focus limiter, but when using the focus limiter the lens reacts as fast with the TC as if when it's not on the lens.

We haven't had really bad days in Valencia, it's true that the only day when we had sunset and sunrise was on the last day (Friday) but otherwise it has not rained on us. It rained heavily the first day but I was on my journey there so I just skipped it.

I must also add that I was pairing the lens with my monopod. It's a cheap supermarket 20€ monopod. You can definitelly feel the monopod suffering when supporting the 2kgs of the lens + the weight of the camera + battery grip and sometimes the TC.  But this is not a problem about the lens, but my monopod choice. A stronger one will work better, even thought mine worked fine.

IF I'd like to do some hiking with this lens on my backpack I'd say this might be a problem for me due to it's weight. In Valencia's racetrack you walk the track, no vehicles are allowed and I must say that using a monopod to carry arround the lens helped me a lot ! And also for shooting. Shooting handheld is possible, I did it for small amounts of time but you need to be trained or in shape (which I am not, really xD).

When it darkens the maximum apperture of the lens is a bit too slow (f4.5) and so the camera needs to raise it's ISO, same happens in a cloudy day using the lens and the Tele Converter. It's not such a big deal, but just to keep this in mind.

A part from that, the images that it captures and produces are simply spectacular (please excuse the dirt on my camera's sensor)

_IMG0214 by Daniel Gonzalez Aguilera, en Flickr

_IMG9322 by Daniel Gonzalez Aguilera, en Flickr

_IMG9503 by Daniel Gonzalez Aguilera, en Flickr

_IMG1444 by Daniel Gonzalez Aguilera, en Flickr

_IMG0918 by Daniel Gonzalez Aguilera, en Flickr

Paired with the TC reaching what should be 630mm

_IMG4516 by Daniel Gonzalez Aguilera, en Flickr

Here at 504mm

_IMG4937 by Daniel Gonzalez Aguilera, en Flickr

At 462mm

_IMG5144 by Daniel Gonzalez Aguilera, en Flickr

At 532mm (and I was chatting with my colleague so the picture is not perfect)

_IMG5456 by Daniel Gonzalez Aguilera, en Flickr

It can even take close-ups,

_IMG6371 by Daniel Gonzalez Aguilera, en Flickr

Against strong sun light

_IMG6206 by Daniel Gonzalez Aguilera, en Flickr

_IMG2353 by Daniel Gonzalez Aguilera, en Flickr

_IMG2250 by Daniel Gonzalez Aguilera, en Flickr

Might it be that at it's end (450mm) when it's an f5.6 lens against strong light it can suffer some chromatic aberration. Check the helmet I think there is some purple in the visor

_IMG3088 by Daniel Gonzalez Aguilera, en Flickr

But a part from that, I don't see any downsides of this lens a part of it's weight and the fact that the zoom expands.

What I love from my Sigma 100-300mm f4 is:

• It's constant apperture
  • It's weight
  • It's constant size, it doesn't change

Now, would I buy this lens? YES but I don't have 2.000€ for a lens.

Would I love them to do the same lens with a PLM motor? YEEEEEEEEEEES !!!

Would I love them to do it with not weather resistance to make it lighter and cheaper? YEEEEES!

• What I think would be a perfect step would be: Creating a Version II with AW and Without it (for me weight is very important and saving 500grs would be perfect) with the PLM engine.  I think THIS would be a KILLER Telephoto zoom.

Anyways I'm on my head thinking about if I should buy one of those if they ever come half price, being honest with you.

Thank you very much for the review. The photos are amazing! I like the backlit ones very much.

I also hope to visit Spain soon as some of my ancestors are from Spain.

SpruceBruce and Daniel Gonzalez have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceDaniel Gonzalez
Quote from Iron on January 8, 2023, 10:38 pm

Where do I start?

Okay, first of all I will say I used the lens with my Pentax K3 Silver mostly. And also paired with the Pentax HD DA 1.4x TC.

I would also say that when I learnt how to use the focus limiter the lens reached a quite fast speed while focusing. It's not that is un-usable when using the whole reach, but it definitelly helps if you use the focus limiter as the lens has to work with less amount of distance, and that helps her a lot. No matter if using or not the 1.4x TC. I haven't noticed much diference while using it or not in terms of AutoFocus.

Maybe you can notice a diference when using the whole reach of the lens, not using the focus limiter, but when using the focus limiter the lens reacts as fast with the TC as if when it's not on the lens.

We haven't had really bad days in Valencia, it's true that the only day when we had sunset and sunrise was on the last day (Friday) but otherwise it has not rained on us. It rained heavily the first day but I was on my journey there so I just skipped it.

I must also add that I was pairing the lens with my monopod. It's a cheap supermarket 20€ monopod. You can definitelly feel the monopod suffering when supporting the 2kgs of the lens + the weight of the camera + battery grip and sometimes the TC.  But this is not a problem about the lens, but my monopod choice. A stronger one will work better, even thought mine worked fine.

IF I'd like to do some hiking with this lens on my backpack I'd say this might be a problem for me due to it's weight. In Valencia's racetrack you walk the track, no vehicles are allowed and I must say that using a monopod to carry arround the lens helped me a lot ! And also for shooting. Shooting handheld is possible, I did it for small amounts of time but you need to be trained or in shape (which I am not, really xD).

When it darkens the maximum apperture of the lens is a bit too slow (f4.5) and so the camera needs to raise it's ISO, same happens in a cloudy day using the lens and the Tele Converter. It's not such a big deal, but just to keep this in mind.

A part from that, the images that it captures and produces are simply spectacular (please excuse the dirt on my camera's sensor)

Here at 504mm

At 462mm

Against strong sun light

Might it be that at it's end (450mm) when it's an f5.6 lens against strong light it can suffer some chromatic aberration. Check the helmet I think there is some purple in the visor

But a part from that, I don't see any downsides of this lens a part of it's weight and the fact that the zoom expands.

• It's weight

Would I love them to do it with not weather resistance to make it lighter and cheaper? YEEEEES!

• What I think would be a perfect step would be: Creating a Version II with AW and Without it (for me weight is very important and saving 500grs would be perfect) with the PLM engine.  I think THIS would be a KILLER Telephoto zoom.

Anyways I'm on my head thinking about if I should buy one of those if they ever come half price, being honest with you.

Thank you very much for the review. The photos are amazing! I like the backlit ones very much.

Thank you very much indeed,

Oh, where in Spain do you know?

Quote from red5isalive on January 8, 2023, 11:03 pm
Quote from Iron on January 8, 2023, 10:38 pm

Where do I start?

Here at 504mm

At 462mm

Against strong sun light

• It's weight

Thank you very much indeed,

Oh, where in Spain do you know?

Welcome! I haven't really met the relatives yet but, according to our family tree, some ancestors were from Andalucia and Madrid. Still, I like to tour the country, make photos in the countryside and spend time doing urban/street in the cities with the K-3.

SpruceBruce and Daniel Gonzalez have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceDaniel Gonzalez

Ahh sweet!

I have only been in Madrid from those two,

It's a beautiful city, you'd love it. Plus don't go in August if possible, warm weather is expected in both being Andalucia specially warn (around +40 degrees Celsius).

Iron has reacted to this post.
Iron

Thanks for the tip!

Daniel Gonzalez
Quote from Iron on January 9, 2023, 10:02 pm

Thanks for the tip!

Your welcome.

Usually the south of Spain (where Andalucia is located) gets too warm even for the people who live there, so they stay home up to 20hs (8pm).

It can be very warm in Madrid, so i'd skip (if possible) July and August. Except if you are one of those persons that like warm, then it should be perfect 😀

Iron has reacted to this post.
Iron

Copy that^

Well, @red5isalive, looks like Pentax became interested in your motorsport shots!

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/ml_Q0PJ_Hrs

Congratulations, mate!

Daniel Gonzalez
PreviousPage 2 of 3Next