Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Favorite Photo 2022

PreviousPage 2 of 3Next

No matter how grey or black and white our lives seem to be, there are always some little steps to go up, some flowers to enjoy and a light to see the next part of our ways.

E.

Uploaded files:
  • 202206112149_0001.jpg
SpruceBruce and Deleted user have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceDeleted user
Veni, vidi, serravi.
Quote from JBP on January 3, 2023, 5:36 pm
QI love it! So much detail (I can see an image reflecting in the birds eye - wow!), vibrant colors, and the pose of the hummingbird is perfect. Looks like the bird is looking right into the camera!

The reflection in the eye is a tree I was sitting under, maybe 10 to 15 ish feet away.  That's crazy isn't.  what is crazier is I have a telephoto shot of a jumping spider, where if you zoom in you can see the reflection of the path I am on.  Nutty.

I'm not sure if I prefer this pose, the reflection under the neck is real, I didn't add that.

IMG_8214 by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

James Warner, SpruceBruce and JBP have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBruceJBP
Quote from James Warner on January 2, 2023, 11:37 pm

Love everyone's favs and the stories behind them. Great shots, and also love the idea of finding your voice and photos you like instead of taking photos others like. Important lesson.

I had trouble figuring out mine. I took a lot of wildlife shots I was proud of this year. Definitely upped my game with birding in 2022 and I'm proud of that. Have a few landscape type shots I also liked. But then I remembered this shot and I think it's a clear winner for my favorite photo. Because it's a nice shot, and a great memory. That's my friend and his kids jumping off the cliff during a trip to Hawaii I'll never forget!

This is a pretty killer shot too.

Quote from SpruceBruce on January 2, 2023, 7:19 pm

I've got mine down to 4, it's so tough. I feel like I really came into my own this summer as a photographer finally.

I pick 1 and 2.  You are making me want a super macro lens.

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP
Quote from KankRat on January 4, 2023, 12:13 am
QI love it! So much detail (I can see an image reflecting in the birds eye - wow!), vibrant colors, and the pose of the hummingbird is perfect. Looks like the bird is looking right into the camera!

The reflection in the eye is a tree I was sitting under, maybe 10 to 15 ish feet away.  That's crazy isn't.  what is crazier is I have a telephoto shot of a jumping spider, where if you zoom in you can see the reflection of the path I am on.  Nutty.

I'm not sure if I prefer this pose, the reflection under the neck is real, I didn't add that.

Wow that is something else. That Nikon D7200 and 200.0-500.0 mm f/5.6 are a killer combo! Is it the AF-S Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR? If so I was expecting it to cost quadruple what it does on the used market. 🤯

Quote from Cory Maben on January 3, 2023, 10:44 pm

@eckyh

I really like this shot! How did you get the exposure so well balanced? Also the sunburst on that light is neat.

Thank you very much.

This image is a single shot with four seconds of exposure - the longest time without burning the streetlight.

To reduce the overall contrast of the scene I put a flashlight with a diffusing plastic bag wrapped around it's head on the ground. That explains the mismatch between the directions of the light from the streetlight and the illumination of the wall, the steps and the rail.

In postprocessing with darktable I worked with the "color balance rgb" module and two instances of "tone equalizer" to brighten up the shadows and reduce the brightness of the steps and.

E.

Veni, vidi, serravi.
Quote from JBP on January 4, 2023, 2:32 am

Wow that is something else. That Nikon D7200 and 200.0-500.0 mm f/5.6 are a killer combo! Is it the AF-S Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR? If so I was expecting it to cost quadruple what it does on the used market. 🤯

That's it. It's pretty far from a perfect lens.  The build quality is not so hot. It's heavy and bulky (it's 500mm duh) It's pretty hard to zoom out fast.  the lens hood is clunky, easy to drop, breaks easily, is made in China and costs $60.  I know because I had to buy one.

Actually  on further investigation I shot the jumping spider with the 300 f4.

The autofocus is faster for sure on the 300, which you would expect since it's letting in twice as much light. Actually it may be the fastest AF of any lens I ever owned. Even on a cloudy day the 300mm never fishes.

Of the two I prefer shooting with the 300 f4 however, if you are going to own one I would have to go with the 200-500 since the fact of the matter is if birds and other wildlife are your thing you just cannot argue with 500mm that is sharp wide open and will focus reasonably close.  It's pretty much an end of discussion sort of thing.

I own the 1.7TC for the 300mm f4 which works but the zoom is for sure sharper and faster AF.  I am told the 1.4TC is better.

Pentax makes a 300mm f4, I actually saw one in person, I think the body was a KP. They guy let me try it.  I thought the AF was fine, not smoking fast but good enough.  Super small, great construction. He had the 1.4TC.  It was cute :-).  If I were a Pentax guy that's the route I would go and I would buy that lens new.

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP
Quote from KankRat on January 4, 2023, 11:52 pm

That's it. It's pretty far from a perfect lens.  The build quality is not so hot. It's heavy and bulky (it's 500mm duh) It's pretty hard to zoom out fast.  the lens hood is clunky, easy to drop, breaks easily, is made in China and costs $60.  I know because I had to buy one.

The autofocus is faster for sure on the 300, which you would expect since it's letting in twice as much light. Actually it may be the fastest AF of any lens I ever owned. Even on a cloudy day the 300mm never fishes.

Of the two I prefer shooting with the 300 f4 however, if you are going to own one I would have to go with the 200-500 since the fact of the matter is if birds and other wildlife are your thing you just cannot argue with 500mm that is sharp wide open and will focus reasonably close.  It's pretty much an end of discussion sort of thing.

I own the 1.7TC for the 300mm f4 which works but the zoom is for sure sharper and faster AF.  I am told the 1.4TC is better.

Pentax makes a 300mm f4, I actually saw one in person, I think the body was a KP. They guy let me try it.  I thought the AF was fine, not smoking fast but good enough.  Super small, great construction. He had the 1.4TC.  It was cute :-).  If I were a Pentax guy that's the route I would go and I would buy that lens new.

That Pentax 300mm f4 is exactly the lens I've been eyeballing! Glad it left a good impression with you. That makes me feel more confident buying it.

Quote from JBP on January 5, 2023, 12:32 am
Quote from KankRat on January 4, 2023, 11:52 pm

That Pentax 300mm f4 is exactly the lens I've been eyeballing! Glad it left a good impression with you. That makes me feel more confident buying it.

Not many telephoto options in the Pentax world.

This is definitely my favourite picture from last year. I took it in Eastern Canada when I was visiting family.

Uploaded files:
  • Harrio_Beach-copy.jpg
James Warner, Justin Tung and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerJustin TungSpruceBruceJBPEckyH
PreviousPage 2 of 3Next