Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Best lenses for Pentax 6x7

I finally did it. Decided to get a Pentax 6x7, I am super excited, it comes with the 105mm f2.4Takumar that everyone seems to love, but there are more lenses in this system that seem to be overlooked, wondering if anyone has first-hand experience on other focal lengths that are worth exploring.  Long live film! Great initiative snappiness!

GrainyRai has reacted to this post.
GrainyRai
Quote from Guest on January 27, 2021, 2:51 am

I finally did it. Decided to get a Pentax 6x7, I am super excited, it comes with the 105mm f2.4Takumar that everyone seems to love, but there are more lenses in this system that seem to be overlooked, wondering if anyone has first-hand experience on other focal lengths that are worth exploring.  Long live film! Great initiative snappiness!

Congrats!! I am super-duper jealous!

That is a dream of mine one day. I don't shoot enough 35mm as-is, so I decided to wait a few more years and "earn" it, if that makes any sense. I always create little goals for myself of things I have to accomplish before upgrading gear. I recently developed several rolls of film myself and that was one of my goals. Now I'll just keep shooting and up my film skills.

I can't give any lens recommendations, but I hope someone else can. That 105mm 2.4 does look especially nice. Sounds like you snagged a really nice bundle. Please share your shots and thoughts on the experience whenever you get the chance to shoot a roll through. I'd be really interested to hear 🙂

GrainyRai has reacted to this post.
GrainyRai
Happy snappin' 🙂

Thank you, James!!! I will share my experience and some pics in the near future!

James Warner has reacted to this post.
James Warner

After about a year of research I get the feeling that the 165mm f/2.8 is generally considered the next best after the 105mm. I haven't shot any film through it yet so I can't comment on that at the moment, however using my 67 to K adapter the test images I shot with my K-1II were pretty impressive.

Quote from s.halburian on August 30, 2021, 11:08 pm

After about a year of research I get the feeling that the 165mm f/2.8 is generally considered the next best after the 105mm. I haven't shot any film through it yet so I can't comment on that at the moment, however using my 67 to K adapter the test images I shot with my K-1II were pretty impressive.

Got any samples you could post? My 6x7 kit only consists of the 55mm F3.5 & 200MM F4.  Just curious what are your thoughts that makes it the best lens?  This is an 85 mil equivalent in 35mm right?

Yes it is equivalent to 85 in 35mm. As of yet, I have only taken a few images to determine if I was keeping the lens or not, I haven't really used it so I cannot form an opinion on it yet. I only took a few images of a focus calibration ruler to see how sharp it was. All I was saying in regards to it being the next best were after having spent (read wasted) far too much time reading about 67 my conclusion was that the 105 and 165 are the two that are most preferred or at least used. This is, of course, assuming that various online reviews/forum posts that I read are accurate and honest. How do you like the 55mm f/3.5 though? I haven't used that lens yet either. I bought it for a trip after I realized I broke my 105mm. But Im still not terribly confident with the gridded matte focusing screen, so I ended up not using it.