Please or Register to create posts and topics.

"And how did that make you feel?" Botched Photo Group Therapy

I though it could therapeutic and hopefully a bit of fun to share photos that are not great. Whether it's that bird in flight that you only got the tail feathers of (or in my case, beautiful empty blue sky... Eh, I meant to do that!), or a photo of a loved one doing some awesome once in a lifetime thing but they're mid blink... whatever it is, I'm sure we all feel your pain.

Feel free to also post photos of when you finally got it right, or even of photos that are not at all what you were trying for but ended up kind of cool anyway. No rules need apply here. 🙂

I'll start off with my old puppers. I was trying so hard to get an in-focus image of him running toward me. This was in 2011 with my K10D and 18-55 kit lens. The light was bad, I was bad, he was FAST. Imagine how amazing this image would be if it were in focus?!

Note: he was a black lab with typical floppy ears. They are just upright because he got that much air. 🙂

After many attempts I did manage to get one that came out alright using the on-board flash. I'll include that one also.

Uploaded files:
  • IMGP5793.jpg
  • IMGP5814.jpg
Beau Carpenter, SpruceBruce and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterSpruceBruceLimEckyH

It is also very difficult to get a subject that is running straight at you in sharp focus at such a speed. The first photo really made me laugh, so I have that a lot. Also of the children when they were young and that they come running towards you, nice you think. And then you have such a blurry photo. My compliments for the second photo. I assume that photo was printed?

I'll go through my archives to see if I have any of those "oh that's too bad pictures". Usually I immediately throw it away from my memory card. I try to select something beforehand, otherwise you have to view and select so many photos at home.

Beau Carpenter, SpruceBruce and JBP have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterSpruceBruceJBP
Within the limits of my equipment consciously looking for painting with light.

I'm going to have to dig through my old archives, but my first picture of an owl two years ago was with an panasonic superzoom camera and I totally had the wrong settings so it was blurry behind anything. It's funny now that I have lots of nice owl pictures, but at the time I couldn't believe that when I finally saw an owl that I botched the shot xD

Still happens on occasion. That's photography for ya 😀

Beau Carpenter, SpruceBruce and JBP have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterSpruceBruceJBP
Happy snappin' 🙂

This happens far too often where I miss shots with the kids (wrong exposure, missed focus, etc)

Worst part is that I can still see certain moments in my mind, but botched the photo 😥

Uploaded files:
  • Screen-Shot-2022-08-29-at-8.21.24-AM-copy.jpg
JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP
Quote from Bart Kerste on August 26, 2022, 5:34 pm

It is also very difficult to get a subject that is running straight at you in sharp focus at such a speed. The first photo really made me laugh, so I have that a lot. Also of the children when they were young and that they come running towards you, nice you think. And then you have such a blurry photo. My compliments for the second photo. I assume that photo was printed?

I'll go through my archives to see if I have any of those "oh that's too bad pictures". Usually I immediately throw it away from my memory card. I try to select something beforehand, otherwise you have to view and select so many photos at home.

lol, Yup, kids can be the most difficult subject to photograph. Also the easiest, when they are still and smiling the photographs make themselves. It's so true, when they are running toward you is the hardest!! You feel "awww, so cute!" and then look at the photos and they're all blurry... ouch!!

Quote from Beau Carpenter on August 29, 2022, 12:29 pm

This happens far too often where I miss shots with the kids (wrong exposure, missed focus, etc)

Worst part is that I can still see certain moments in my mind, but botched the photo 😥

That's spot on - you see the moment in your mind and then look at the screen and go "that's not it, nope!" It hurts. 🤣 Hey, at least you got *some* kids in focus. Just not the one you wanted! 🙃 I had my share of this exact situation yesterday. The neighbor's kids in the background were in perfect focus. My kid? Nooope!

Quote from James Warner on August 28, 2022, 2:21 am

I'm going to have to dig through my old archives, but my first picture of an owl two years ago was with an panasonic superzoom camera and I totally had the wrong settings so it was blurry behind anything. It's funny now that I have lots of nice owl pictures, but at the time I couldn't believe that when I finally saw an owl that I botched the shot xD

Still happens on occasion. That's photography for ya 😀

Yup, that's photography all right. So many of my missed shots are from me photographing one thing and then I see a bird or some other quick thing happening and try to take the shot and either I forget to change the settings, or I try and don't quite get there in time, OR I just completely miss focus. haha

Beau Carpenter has reacted to this post.
Beau Carpenter

Nailed it!

Uploaded files:
  • IMGP0688.jpg
Beau Carpenter and denniscrommett have reacted to this post.
Beau Carpenterdenniscrommett

Oh man this is a really fun thread and I know exactly the photo to share.

Short story first: A couple years ago when I was getting interested enough in photography to get my own first "real" camera, I stumbled on this person on Flickr, and her awesome photos of Boston (a city I love, 1.5 hrs from me here in MA) in the winter. See this photo: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jesspictures/32966507311/in/album-72157674652813991/

OK, so then this past March, I went to Boston for a day of taking photos and eating pizza in the North End (I posted some photos of this day I think), and came upon almost exactly this same photograph above. I couldn't believe it! Full circle, I thought!

But then I was rushing, and I missed focus. I got the buildings, not her face. And I just generally exposed it pretty poorly too, so I ended up making it black and white, which is not what I really like. Oh well. It's still a nice memory. And I got to drown my sorrows in pizza.

Uploaded files:
  • DSCF6592.jpg
Beau Carpenter, JBP and EckyH have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterJBPEckyH
Quote from denniscrommett on August 31, 2022, 3:19 am

Oh man this is a really fun thread and I know exactly the photo to share.

Short story first: A couple years ago when I was getting interested enough in photography to get my own first "real" camera, I stumbled on this person on Flickr, and her awesome photos of Boston (a city I love, 1.5 hrs from me here in MA) in the winter. See this photo: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jesspictures/32966507311/in/album-72157674652813991/

OK, so then this past March, I went to Boston for a day of taking photos and eating pizza in the North End (I posted some photos of this day I think), and came upon almost exactly this same photograph above. I couldn't believe it! Full circle, I thought!

But then I was rushing, and I missed focus. I got the buildings, not her face. And I just generally exposed it pretty poorly too, so I ended up making it black and white, which is not what I really like. Oh well. It's still a nice memory. And I got to drown my sorrows in pizza.

Ah man this stuff always happens to me when I rush. And it seems like it's those best moments that we are rushed in, perhaps because they are so unpredictable and fleeting. It sucks that you didn't nail it like you wanted but I think it's a great photo anyway! The most important parts are there: great scene, subject, and composition. I think the B&W looks great, and you didn't miss focus bad enough to ruin the photo - really can't even tell unless you zoom in. What a great story behind the photo, too. I bet you were jumping for joy when you noticed this shot. It's always so exciting to find a shot we have been looking for, or to see one that is similar to one of our favorites. Awesome. 🙂

denniscrommett has reacted to this post.
denniscrommett

I didn't realize I had composite exposure on. Definitely a botched photo. Still, maybe I like it anyway? I can't decide. 🤣

IMGP0715 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

denniscrommett and EckyH have reacted to this post.
denniscrommettEckyH
Quote from JBP on September 14, 2022, 5:34 pm

I didn't realize I had composite exposure on. Definitely a botched photo. Still, maybe I like it anyway? I can't decide. 🤣

IMGP0715 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

Ghost bird ghost bird ghost bird!

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP