Please or Register to create posts and topics.

AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D IF-ED Used Going for Cheap Now

PreviousPage 2 of 3Next

I believe the 200-500mm is almost a pound heavier than the 150-600mm. The 150-600mm felt noticeably lighter to me when I tried one.  You would figure that since we're talking 5lbs of lens for the 200-500 sticking way in front of the camera with leverage pulling the front of the lens down. 

I met some other photographers while out shooting (owls)the other day.  One guy was using the Canon R7  with 100-400mm and 1.4 TC.  It's a very small, light, relatively inexpensive set up, even new.  the lens is like $650 NEW.  guy is pretty cool we chatted a lot.   He has one of those primes to that are like f8 or 11, I forget which he had.  said under the right conditions you can get some really good shots.  I did not see him with that lens though he had the 100-400 and TC every time I saw him. 

None of that means anything if you can't get good shots. 

We exchanged Flickr and IG. His photos look really, really good  under really challenging conditions. Better than I could do.  Way better, unless there was much better lighting.  My nikon set up dwarfed his in size and weight.  It was almost funny. 

It looks to me like Canon is looking out for the budget wildlife shooter better than any other company. After seeing this and the shots, If I were were to purchase anything new I would have to think long and hard about jumping ship and going Canon mirrorless. 

Quote from KankRat on March 9, 2024, 11:08 pm

I believe the 200-500mm is almost a pound heavier than the 150-600mm. The 150-600mm felt noticeably lighter to me when I tried one.  You would figure that since we're talking 5lbs of lens for the 200-500 sticking way in front of the camera with leverage pulling the front of the lens down. 

I met some other photographers while out shooting (owls)the other day.  One guy was using the Canon R7  with 100-400mm and 1.4 TC.  It's a very small, light, relatively inexpensive set up, even new.  the lens is like $650 NEW.  guy is pretty cool we chatted a lot.   He has one of those primes to that are like f8 or 11, I forget which he had.  said under the right conditions you can get some really good shots.  I did not see him with that lens though he had the 100-400 and TC every time I saw him. 

None of that means anything if you can't get good shots. 

We exchanged Flickr and IG. His photos look really, really good  under really challenging conditions. Better than I could do.  Way better, unless there was much better lighting.  My nikon set up dwarfed his in size and weight.  It was almost funny. 

It looks to me like Canon is looking out for the budget wildlife shooter better than any other company. After seeing this and the shots, If I were were to purchase anything new I would have to think long and hard about jumping ship and going Canon mirrorless. 

I've had similar thoughts when I see videos of mirrorless cams locked onto bird eyes and tracking them even if the bird decides to do freakin' gymnastics lol. Amazing. But most of the cameras seem so soulless to me. I was thinking the new Nikon mirrorless cams might be nice if I went that route but then I found out they don't even have a shutter. I'm sure there's a little speaker making shutter sounds though lol. Not for me, not right now. I live for that shutter sound and I like a camera that feels more camera, less computer.

Now, I could be tempted by some mirrorless cams with character. I picked up a Fujifilm X-T2 for cheap and it is a fun little camera, even has a nice shutter sound. I still don't love the EVF but it's not horrible like some others I've used. The body, controls, button customization are all very nice and fun. Makes you want to use the camera. The Fuji 100-400 seems light and compact. I think I could enjoy that, if I could get over the EVF. 😆 I would go that route or micro four thirds and have epic amounts of zoom for relatively little size and weight. Definitely tempting!

R7 has a mechanical shutter. Look at this.  He is using the 800mm f11.  that lens is $1000 NEW. 

https://youtu.be/RZrMjDT0FQQ?si=DSEEPPl-yJPmkRbB&t=135

Look at 3:27 How can you compete with this using old stuff?  The bar for wildlife photography just went up. 

Then I see this woman's work on Flickr. She is doing some really nice stuff with in some cases even. D7200.  Looks like she shoots a 300 with a 1.4 TC quite a bit.  I asked if it was the AF-s version but it did not sound like she knew the difference between it and the PF.  I am going to guess PF. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lindap57/

Quote from KankRat on March 10, 2024, 1:20 pm

R7 has a mechanical shutter. Look at this.  He is using the 800mm f11.  that lens is $1000 NEW. 

Look at 3:27 How can you compete with this using old stuff?  The bar for wildlife photography just went up. 

Then I see this woman's work on Flickr. She is doing some really nice stuff with in some cases even. D7200.  Looks like she shoots a 300 with a 1.4 TC quite a bit.  I asked if it was the AF-s version but it did not sound like she knew the difference between it and the PF.  I am going to guess PF. 

Yes there are some amazing lenses out there for mirrorless, especially from Canon on the wildlife front. And not bad prices at all! A lot of them are pretty slow (aperture) though, and I'm often struggling to get enough light with my f/4, so that has helped to stave off jealousy just a bit. 😆

I had this experience, too. Was wondering if my gear is limiting and then I came across someone on Flickr taking the very photos I was trying to with the same lens as me, but very old camera models. I'm talking cameras with absolutely no tracking to speak of. But she was getting epic shots, lots of them. Here I am with a K-3iii, I have no excuse. It's me, not the gear. A week later I managed to get close enough to my subjects to get the shots I was after. A 600mm wouldn't have made the difference, except that I was often too close with my 300 and could have benefited from zooming out! I just needed to think things through and put in the time until I was in the right place at the right time with the gear I have.

Now, of course gear with more capabilities (more zoom, more IQ, better autofocus, etc) will make things easier. But I am not a professional, I don't need the best gear. I'm not competing with anyone but myself. So my goal now is to simply find gear I enjoy using that lets me do what I want. I'm trying out different things by looking for deals and only buying stuff I can sell later for as much or more than I paid for it. I don't know what my conclusion will be (D500? Mirrorless? 300m f/2.8? 150-600mm?) but right now I'm thinking I had already found what I was looking for with the K-3iii and DA*300! haha I just didn't have the skill/timing/fieldcraft down yet. But the experiment continues and we'll see what the results are! 🙂

Quote from JBP on March 10, 2024, 6:16 pm

Yes there are some amazing lenses out there for mirrorless, especially from Canon on the wildlife front. And not bad prices at all! A lot of them are pretty slow (aperture) though, and I'm often struggling to get enough light with my f/4, so that has helped to stave off jealousy just a bit. 😆

🙂

these new cameras will AF in much lower light.  guy was shooting birds with a. max aperture of 6.3 with a 1.4 TC .  it was darn near dark out.  

Guy with a $$$ Sony kept going after Canon guy quit. 

You know how people say.  "Wow you take great photos, you must have a really nice camera." At a certain point they will be right.  LOL. 

Quote from KankRat on March 10, 2024, 7:37 pm
Quote from JBP on March 10, 2024, 6:16 pm

🙂

these new cameras will AF in much lower light.  guy was shooting birds with a. max aperture of 6.3 with a 1.4 TC .  it was darn near dark out.  

Guy with a $$$ Sony kept going after Canon guy quit. 

You know how people say.  "Wow you take great photos, you must have a really nice camera." At a certain point they will be right.  LOL. 

I think DSLRs still hold their own in experienced hands, particularly D500 and D850 with the lens selection Nikon has. But yeah, mirrorless will just keep getting better and better because of course they will, that is what the manufacturers are making now. But when I see how great the D500 is, and watch/read about how great the D850 is, it makes me sad that Nikon stopped making DSLRs. How much better would DSLRs have gotten? Pentax progresses more slowly but my hope is that they stick around and can give us an answer to that question. They got close the D500 with the K-3iii (buffer and lens selection are the things it lacks), so I think they have a shot with the K-1iii of having something really special. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like they are thinking about making more wildlife lenses, but I digress.

So I bought the lens this thread is all about! I think I got a great deal and couldn't pass it up. It is redundant, yes. I have the DA*300. But I couldn't resist the chance to do an apples-to-apples comparison of the D500 and K-3iii. Battle of the old cams with old tech! Breaking news! haha It will be fun for me and of interest to some I'm sure. If I were to make a youtube video about it (I don't plan to) I can imagine the comments. "Dude it's 2024, we are using mirrorless now." No, *you* are. I'm stuck in the past when cameras had these archaic things called *shutters*! 😆

It just occurred to me that we may eventually have a generation of young photographers who have never heard a real shutter. Just fake shutter sounds from a speaker. Sad.

It just occurred to me that we may eventually have a generation of young photographers who have never heard a real shutter. Just fake shutter sounds from a speaker. Sad.

Someday there will be a generation of wildlife that never gets spooked by the sound of a camera.  🙂

I'd be curious how the Nikkor stacks up against the Pentax. I never did it with mine but I hear it gets even better if you fine tune it in camera. 

Don't let that lens sit for long periods of time, that's how the dreaded squeak develops. 

Quote from KankRat on March 14, 2024, 10:49 pm

Someday there will be a generation of wildlife that never gets spooked by the sound of a camera.  🙂

I'd be curious how the Nikkor stacks up against the Pentax. I never did it with mine but I hear it gets even better if you fine tune it in camera. 

Don't let that lens sit for long periods of time, that's how the dreaded squeak develops. 

Yet another benefit of mirrorless. I never worried too much about spooking wildlife with the shutter sound until I got the D500. It really is loud. haha  Shutter sound is really important to me, it's just one of my favorite things about taking a photo, and I haven't decided if I love or hate the D500 sound. I always felt like the D7200 (my Dad's camera) had a great shutter sound but it wasn't happening right next to my face.

Yes, I will definitely do the AF adjustment. Thankfully D500 makes it easy and does it for you! I need to make sure the Pentax is adjusted properly also, a more difficult task since there is no auto adjustment. Right now I think I'd take that over a flippy screen even. I really dislike making AF adjustments manually. ... Yet another advantage of mirrorless. 🥲

I have read about the squeaks. I read that it can go away with use, is that true? The DA*300 is similar. If you let it sit too long the SDM can develop issues and need "warmed up" before it starts working right again.

Quote from JBP on March 15, 2024, 2:04 pm

Yet another benefit of mirrorless. I never worried too much about spooking wildlife with the shutter sound until I got the D500. It really is loud. haha  Shutter sound is really important to me, it's just one of my favorite things about taking a photo, and I haven't decided if I love or hate the D500 sound. I always felt like the D7200 (my Dad's camera) had a great shutter sound but it wasn't happening right next to my face.

Yes, I will definitely do the AF adjustment. Thankfully D500 makes it easy and does it for you! I need to make sure the Pentax is adjusted properly also, a more difficult task since there is no auto adjustment. Right now I think I'd take that over a flippy screen even. I really dislike making AF adjustments manually. ... Yet another advantage of mirrorless. 🥲

I have read about the squeaks. I read that it can go away with use, is that true? The DA*300 is similar. If you let it sit too long the SDM can develop issues and need "warmed up" before it starts working right again.

My Nikkor 200-400 F4 II squealed terribly, it's quieted significantly with frequent use.  It's just lubricant caking up and becoming less viscous 

Quote from SpruceBruce on March 15, 2024, 10:50 pm
Quote from JBP on March 15, 2024, 2:04 pm

My Nikkor 200-400 F4 II squealed terribly, it's quieted significantly with frequent use.  It's just lubricant caking up and becoming less viscous 

I got my AF-S 300 today and the squeak was gone after ~20 minutes of use. Unfortunately so was the AF after about an hour. 🙁 It will work again for a moment if I move it from infinity to min focus a couple times. Time to return it. At least I got to use it some, enough to know it's a gem!

PreviousPage 2 of 3Next