Please or Register to create posts and topics.

AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D IF-ED Used Going for Cheap Now

Page 1 of 3Next

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product-archive/camera-lenses/af-s-nikkor-300mm-f%252f4d-if-ed.html

I am seeing this lens which I own and love going super cheap now.  this lens was the gold standard for Nikon budget wildlife glass and lenses like the 150-600's  made by other companies were judged against. 

Occasionally about 400 clams or even less. Check MPB, KEH etc.

I got mine in 2018, paid $600 happily.  At the time they were going for $800-$1000 used.

The glass is perfect but it was well used.  I had some work done on it - mainly replaced the AF motor, the one drawback is they do go bad and I thought the mount was funky so I had that replaced.  it cost me about $300.  So I am into mine for about $900.

It's been fine ever since. I used it a LOT.  

Prior to this lens I used the AF-S 70-300mm 4.5 to 5.6.   I still think that's a good lens, it's just not in the same league at this one.  I also had to stop it down to f8 to get it sharp. so you are talking about the f4 vs f8 4X more light. 

What I like:

• Super-fast AF. The best of any lens I own.
  • Tack sharp wide open at f4.  I see little or no improvement in stopping down
  • Out of focus areas look great.
  • Built in lens hood- awesome. All lenses should be made this way. Bravo.
  • Works in good light with the 1.7 TC, though noticeable loss in AF capability images still pretty good.
  • Supposed to be great with 1.4 TC II which I just got and am testing. I think it's going to be a winner.  These are also going cheap $100.
  • focuses down to 4.7 feet.  This is a great large bug lens. Fake macro.

What I don't like. Not much. 

• the motor issues. They go bad on some.  This is the only real serious issue I have with it. Also, If I let mine sit for a month or so it squeaks.  Start using it and it's fine. I heard people say that the squeak is common.  
  • There is no rear element.  If you look down the back the aperture blades are exposed.  I don't know if that's an issue I never had one.
  • 300mm on a crop sensor is about the minimum you want to go for birds.  If you are out strictly for birds then you might want to step up to a 500-600mm zoom.  I don't know if you can find one for $400 and there are many things this lens would be better. 

I am using mine again just because the 200-500 is just such a beast to lug around. Carry that thing makes this lens feel light.  This 300 with TC has got me thinking about replacing it with the 300 PF which is much smaller and has VR.  I shot one a coworker has. Beautiful lens. 

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce

On D7000

Green Darner by Mark Kasick, on Flickr Northern Watersnake by Mark Kasick, on Flickr Green Heron by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

with 1.7TC and crop:

Eastern Bluebird by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

Eastern Bluebird by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

D7200 no TC

Chicago Marathon 2022 Kipruto 1 by Mark Kasick, on Flickr Hummingbird Moth by Mark Kasick, on Flickr John Dennison 1 by Mark Kasick, on Flickr DSC_0624 by Mark Kasick, on Flickr DSC_0582 by Mark Kasick, on Flickr Hummingbird moth by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

SpruceBruce and prisonwine have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceprisonwine

RTH DCA by Mark Kasick, on Flick RTH IN by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

SpruceBruce

Thunderbird by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

SpruceBruce

Wow, amazing results with that 300!! I saw this after posting in the January photos thread. I had recommended this lens to my Dad for his D7200 for birds, but he may be better off with the 150-600 he has on the way for the extra reach. But goodness, I see results like this and wonder why I feel the need for more with my Pentax. I have the DA*300 which I hope is comparable to this Nikon. The Pentax 150-450 is out of reach for me right now. I have yet to get results like this with my DA* but I know others have.

Still, for how inexpensive you can get this Nikon 300 for, I just may pick one up for my Nikon sometime! Amazing photos... The hummingbird and moth photos just blow me away.

SpruceBruce

Thanks. The dragonfly shot is by far the most difficult shot I ever pulled off.  I tried for years with other lenses.  I still haven't been able to reproduce it.  Chasing dragonflies in flight will make you want to drink when you get done shooting. 

I always heard that the image quality on the Pentax version was comparable. A guy I met had a Pentax KP and a 300. It's noticeably smaller. He let me mess with it, if I remember right the autofocus was not as fast as the Nikon but it was fast enough.  When I handed them (his wife was there) my 200-500 they just laughed and the size and weight.  He had the TCs for it too.  LOL they were cute! I would carry them I'm my shirt pocket. 

I did not like the ergonomics on the camera (not crazy about the 7200 either, but it's better because I can fit all 4 fingers). the K3 looks better than both to me. but's also small that I would need to put a grip on it too.  I think a K3 with those TCs would be a great set up. 

if I had to choose between the 200-500 and this lens.  I would go with the 500.  The IQ of the 200-500, even at 500mm wide open is really great.

At 300mm the prime would have the advantage of letting in twice as much light.  The zoom - VR.  I will have a cage match fight between the two once we actually have sunlight. 

I would not sell the 300mm for $400. 

Like I said the newer PF version of this lens would be really cool. 

I shoot the K1 and DA* 300mm F4.  It's by far the sharpest K mount telephoto I own.  The ergonomics of the K1 would suit your grip style better.  As I owned a KP before the K1 and the grip wasn't the best. It's on par with my newest wildlife setup, which I'm rocking the Nikon D500 & 200-400 F4 II. Which Nikon 1.4TC do you own? I believe I have a Mk II, I haven't noticed any substantial IQ degradation.

I'd like to eventually get a Nikon 300mm F4 as well, when the heavy 200-400 isn't practical or I need to pack my lighter. Have you ever used any of the IF-D internal lenses? The 500mm F4 is going dirt cheap now days.  As mirrorless grows, the DSLR lens will devalue I feel like we've seen.  I sold off my Olympus EM1X and 100-400 for the D500.  I haven't missed it.

I'm an idiot....this is literally the same lens family as the 500mm F4 in question.  In my defense I'm busy at work and didn't notice that small detail 😂

For some reason I glanced and thought this was an AF-S version.

Quote from SpruceBruce on January 28, 2024, 8:58 pm

I shoot the K1 and DA* 300mm F4.  It's by far the sharpest K mount telephoto I own.  The ergonomics of the K1 would suit your grip style better.  As I owned a KP before the K1 and the grip wasn't the best. It's on par with my newest wildlife setup, which I'm rocking the Nikon D500 & 200-400 F4 II. Which Nikon 1.4TC do you own? I believe I have a Mk II, I haven't noticed any substantial IQ degradation.

I'd like to eventually get a Nikon 300mm F4 as well, when the heavy 200-400 isn't practical or I need to pack my lighter. Have you ever used any of the IF-D internal lenses? The 500mm F4 is going dirt cheap now days.  As mirrorless grows, the DSLR lens will devalue I feel like we've seen.  I sold off my Olympus EM1X and 100-400 for the D500.  I haven't missed it.

I have the TC14II . 

Quote from KankRat on January 28, 2024, 8:07 pm

Thanks. The dragonfly shot is by far the most difficult shot I ever pulled off.  I tried for years with other lenses.  I still haven't been able to reproduce it.  Chasing dragonflies in flight will make you want to drink when you get done shooting. 

I always heard that the image quality on the Pentax version was comparable. A guy I met had a Pentax KP and a 300. It's noticeably smaller. He let me mess with it, if I remember right the autofocus was not as fast as the Nikon but it was fast enough.  When I handed them (his wife was there) my 200-500 they just laughed and the size and weight.  He had the TCs for it too.  LOL they were cute! I would carry them I'm my shirt pocket. 

I did not like the ergonomics on the camera (not crazy about the 7200 either, but it's better because I can fit all 4 fingers). the K3 looks better than both to me. but's also small that I would need to put a grip on it too.  I think a K3 with those TCs would be a great set up. 

if I had to choose between the 200-500 and this lens.  I would go with the 500.  The IQ of the 200-500, even at 500mm wide open is really great.

At 300mm the prime would have the advantage of letting in twice as much light.  The zoom - VR.  I will have a cage match fight between the two once we actually have sunlight. 

I would not sell the 300mm for $400. 

Like I said the newer PF version of this lens would be really cool. 

I picked up a D500 a couple days ago and tried my Dad's Tamron 150-600 on it yesterday. I think it weighs about the same as the 200-500? It's ~2000g, same as the Pentax 150-450. It was fine to carry around and even handhold for short periods. Holding it up waiting for a bird to take flight will make your arm tired haha. The rifleman pose crouched works great when not shooting up in to the air. I'd want a monopod if I had one of my own. It made me appreciate my DA*300 so much more, honestly. I felt like the difference between 420mm (w/1.4x TC) and 600mm wasn't as much as I thought it would be. Biggest thing was being able to zoom out, but f/4 was dearly missed.

All that to say I'm thinking of picking up the AF-S 300mm for the D500. The plan originally was something 500mm+, since that's hard/expensive to come by in Pentax Land. But using the 150-600 really had me appreciating what I have with Pentax and the 300mm prime more. It is just more fun to use, for me. And I've found it enough for big birds. Small birds it seems like you simply cannot have enough zoom haha. I'm thinking now if I want tons of zoom above ~450 micro four thirds may be more enjoyable, but for the EVF...

MPB has a good condition AF-S 300mm for $309. Tempting with their warranty in case there is a motor failure.

Another bonus of this lens is I could then do an apples-to-apples comparison with the K-3iii + DA*300. That would be fun. Another bonus is if I part with the D500 I could give my Dad the Nikkor 300mm. I think he'd appreciate it on hikes vs lugging the 150-600 around.

Oh and I totally get what you mean about the grip size. That is perhaps the most surprising thing about trying out this Nikon! Before it, the K-3iii was far and away the most comfortable camera I ever held in my hands. In many ways it still is, with small lenses. But if it were 1/4-1/2" taller, then it really would be perfect. I think you're right, the battery grip would make the K-3 even better with a large lens. D500 is already sized perfectly for one the way it is, IMO.

Page 1 of 3Next