Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Adapted Cine Lens Club

Page 1 of 2Next

D-mount, C-mount, and more - let’s not be picky! Cinema lenses have special qualities to offer a stills shooter.

Today’s adventure: seeing an emergency dentist about my broken tooth (just needs a new crown! phew!) and trying out the

Cine W-Arco 6.5mm 1.8 (D-Mount) on Pentax Q10

Something’s a little funky with my copy.

It’s normal, until I try to focus. And then… tiny little grinding noises happen, and the parts of the lens barrel spin loosely and separately.

I thought great, first I break a tooth, next I break a lens. And it’s too late to return it.

But actually, I think it’s intentionally modded. Two tiny exterior screws are missing from the barrel.

The grinding noise is distressing BUT the result is a super cool de-centered lens effect with serious swirl.

And it (grind grind cringe) screws back into place and is sharp again.

Uploaded files:
  • A9D33278-E5EB-45E6-B77D-3D0209F21323.jpeg
  • C24F3276-C1D3-40C9-9EC5-B5F23674F3C7.jpeg
  • 68ABAF24-EAD0-47B0-89C6-D77BFE6BBFB1.jpeg
  • BF47A90D-EB7D-45C4-AA1B-1C5585AE02FC.jpeg
James Warner, SpruceBruce and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBruceGawadHeggenDazs

I have a 6.5mm F1.9 Soligor, it doesn’t cover the whole frame of the sensor.  I’ve yet to make a decent photo with it.   Seems you had better luck with your model!  Really digging that 3rd photo, it’s like a mini Helios!  Especially the colors too!

In my experience anything smaller than a 13mm seems to have huge fall off with my Q.

This is my favorite cine D lens, it’s the Nikkor Revere 13mm F1.9

Gawad, HeggenDazs and ahoyhere have reacted to this post.
GawadHeggenDazsahoyhere

These are so cool. I never got around to trying these lenses before selling my Q. What other cameras do people use for these? Do the Nikon 1 series cameras work too? I stare at those sometimes on MPB. $40 doesn't seem like too much... Need to learn more about them though.

ahoyhere has reacted to this post.
ahoyhere
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from James Warner on March 9, 2022, 4:49 pm

These are so cool. I never got around to trying these lenses before selling my Q. What other cameras do people use for these? Do the Nikon 1 series cameras work too? I stare at those sometimes on MPB. $40 doesn't seem like too much... Need to learn more about them though.

The N1 can be adapted too! M43 as well, with a C to D adapter and a C to M43

Thank you! It's so much fun, like shooting Polaroids but without the cringe factor of $1.75 a shot.

So… on the question of cameras…

This particular lens is a D-mount (8mm film).

Most shorter D-mount lenses vignette pretty strongly on even the original Q sensor, and there's none smaller. See below for 5.5 lens. (The 6.5 Cine Arco vignettes pretty strong too, when it's not defocused.)

The N1 sensor is significantly larger. The NX mini has the same sensor size as the N1. I imagine the shorter lenses might make a full circle on the 1" sensor.

There's definitely a C-mount adapter for the N1 series, like I have for the mini.

Unfortunately a d-mount adapter doesn't seem to exist for either the N1 or the mini. 🙁

Fotodiox makes a d-to-c threaded washer that supposedly does the job but reviews are mixed. I'm going to try it and see on the mini, but flange depths seem sus:

D-mount: 12.29 mm

C-mount: 17.526mm

There is a custom 3d printed adapter for D lenses on the m43 system. 🤔

D lenses are cheap and plentiful and some of them are really incredible, which is the reason I'm even bothering to learn all this! C lenses are more generally useful, therefore more expensive, and probably less "fun" (aka better quality).

Quote from SpruceBruce on March 9, 2022, 5:33 am

I have a 6.5mm F1.9 Soligor, it doesn’t cover the whole frame of the sensor.  I’ve yet to make a decent photo with it.   Seems you had better luck with your model!

Really digging that 3rd photo, it’s like a mini Helios!

Maybe you should hack it like this one! Embrace worse is better, haha.

Especially the colors too!

Thanks! Full disclosure: I post-processed it. See the attachment for the natural output.

I'm a believer in taking the vintage lenses and amping it up with vintage-look processing. Maybe with some "vintage" Lightroom presets you'd find your Soligor has some value to you.

This is my favorite cine D lens, it’s the Nikkor Revere 13mm F1.9

Oooh small world! I came across your snail photo when I was researching D-mount lenses on Flickr months ago! It's such a stunning photo. Meant to write you a little comment and ask which lens it was, but I must've forgotten. But now we're both here!

Coincidentally I ended up getting the same Cine Nikkor and an Elgeet in a super cheap auction so woo!

Any other lenses you've tried and loved or hated or meh'd?

Uploaded files:
  • IMGP9946-4.jpg
SpruceBruce and Gawad have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceGawad
Quote from ahoyhere on March 9, 2022, 9:56 pm

Thank you! It's so much fun, like shooting Polaroids but without the cringe factor of $1.75 a shot.

Most shorter D-mount lenses vignette pretty strongly on even the original Q sensor, and there's none smaller. See below for 5.5 lens. (The 6.5 Cine Arco vignettes pretty strong too, when it's not defocused.)

The N1 sensor is significantly larger. The NX mini has the same sensor size as the N1. I imagine the shorter lenses might make a full circle on the 1" sensor.

There's definitely a C-mount adapter for the N1 series, like I have for the mini.

Unfortunately a d-mount adapter doesn't seem to exist for either the N1 or the mini. 🙁

Fotodiox makes a d-to-c threaded washer that supposedly does the job but reviews are mixed. I'm going to try it and see on the mini, but flange depths seem sus:

D lenses are cheap and plentiful and some of them are really incredible, which is the reason I'm even bothering to learn all this! C lenses are more generally useful, therefore more expensive, and probably less "fun" (aka better quality).

Okay, thanks for that. Looks like C lenses are easier for a newb like me to find adapters for and cover larger sensors. Fotodiox has a C mount to m4/3 that looks like it goes into the body a little bit

Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter - C-Mount CCTV / Cine Lens to Micro Four Thirds (MFT, M4/3) Mount Mirrorless Camera Body

Is the trick to these to find the cameras that had c/d mount lenses, and search for those on eBay? I briefly did this, and it seems cheaper to buy an old broken camera with the lens unlisted because the seller doesn't know to add the keyword "C mount" into the title 😉 Or where else are you finding these?

Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from James Warner on March 10, 2022, 1:19 am
Quote from ahoyhere on March 9, 2022, 9:56 pm

Okay, thanks for that. Looks like C lenses are easier for a newb like me to find adapters for and cover larger sensors. Fotodiox has a C mount to m4/3 that looks like it goes into the body a little bit

Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter - C-Mount CCTV / Cine Lens to Micro Four Thirds (MFT, M4/3) Mount Mirrorless Camera Body

Is the trick to these to find the cameras that had c/d mount lenses, and search for those on eBay? I briefly did this, and it seems cheaper to buy an old broken camera with the lens unlisted because the seller doesn't know to add the keyword "C mount" into the title 😉 Or where else are you finding these?

Yeah, just look for broke Bolex cameras!  It's cheaper than buying individual lenses!  They can get quite pricey, especially Kern Paillard.  Yashicas, Soligor, and Wollensak are pretty cheap.  Some lenses are fixed aperture and focus as a heads up. I'd refer to the Pentax Forums Q Adapted Lens Review thread for ideas of lenses you'd like to try!

I know there's a few threads on DPReveiw with regards to adapting M43.

Here's a great blog with using the Nikon 1 V1!

https://francperet.com/2014/10/01/nikon1-v1-and-cine-lenses/

i have a nikon 1 j2 that i got on ebay for like 40 bucks, but my one nikon 1 lens is broken. thinking about getting an adapter and a cheap cctv lens (or maybe an inexpensive c mount lens) possibly any tips for something available (on german ebay) in the like 50mm to 85mm range? or maybe, if cheaply available, even wider? needs to have the ~18mm flage tho

Is that even street bro?
Page 1 of 2Next