Please or Register to create posts and topics.

A Small Sensor Advantage

I was talking with a friend about cameras and pointed to my bag nearby and told him everything that I was carrying at the moment:

• Camera Body
  • 70-200mm (Focal lengths in the equivalent field of view)
  • 85mm
  • 50mm
  • 28mm

I didn't think much of it, but it is significant! I've been shooting on a Canon 5d classic for the past month or so. This week, I went back to my Panasonic GX85 (First interchangeable lens camera I owned) to shoot on exclusively for a week. The size/weight is a significant difference! 

I don't mind carrying the Canon with 35mm 1.4 & 200mm 2.8, but it's noticeably heavy. Whereas the entire Micro Four thirds kit listed above is negligible in a shoulder bag.

See photo & business card for size reference 🙂

Uploaded files:
  • image.jpeg
James Warner and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBruce
Quote from Beau Carpenter on September 2, 2021, 7:23 pm

I was talking with a friend about cameras and pointed to my bag nearby and told him everything that I was carrying at the moment:

• Camera Body
  • 85mm
  • 50mm
  • 28mm

I didn't think much of it, but it is significant! I've been shooting on a Canon 5d classic for the past month or so. This week, I went back to my Panasonic GX85 (First interchangeable lens camera I owned) to shoot on exclusively for a week. The size/weight is a significant difference! 

I don't mind carrying the Canon with 35mm 1.4 & 200mm 2.8, but it's noticeably heavy. Whereas the entire Micro Four thirds kit listed above is negligible in a shoulder bag.

I'm thinking of getting the GX7 so that I'm able to get a good telephoto setup that's way more compact and portable while I'm traveling.  I really enjoy Panasonic's camera design. I still want to keep my LX100 II, but I'd like to have the ability to interchange and adapt lenses too.

Beau Carpenter has reacted to this post.
Beau Carpenter

You m43 people 😀

It is something people overlook a lot and act like it’s not a valid reason for not using FF, but I’ve been on hikes before where I sure wished I had a more compact setup with that kind of versatility…

Checkout my m43 lens collection so far xD

18mm (36mm equiv.)

24mm (48mm equiv.)

50mm (100mm equiv.)

70mm (140mm equiv.)

And the only teleconverter made for the Pentax 110 lenses, the Soligor 1.7x teleconverter. I’m unstoppable!

All with fixed f2.8 lenses, but maybe one day I’ll make some homemade aperture discs which I hear work well.

Posted kinda in jest, but they actually are decently sharp and they have loads of character like other vintage lenses. I do plan on picking up a few native m43 lenses, but that’ll wait for a while.

Uploaded files:
  • C367FB2D-3E5C-483B-8D83-622A01CFA514.jpeg
Beau Carpenter and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterSpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂

😆 Love it! That counts for sure. Those lenses are TINY! Very nice lineup

Speaking of underrated, the ability to adapt lenses to mirrorless cameras is kind of awesome, especially those who like to tinker and use vintage glass.

Now that I have a couple nice EF lenses, compatibility with future cameras is definitely a new factor in purchasing decisions.

Quote from Beau Carpenter on September 3, 2021, 12:54 pm

😆 Love it! That counts for sure. Those lenses are TINY! Very nice lineup

Speaking of underrated, the ability to adapt lenses to mirrorless cameras is kind of awesome, especially those who like to tinker and use vintage glass.

Now that I have a couple nice EF lenses, compatibility with future cameras is definitely a new factor in purchasing decisions.

They make lots of speed boosters for EF lenses to m43 right? Ever experimented with those?

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂

They do, from what I know the two main ones are the Viltrox and Metabones. I bought a second hand Viltrox version one, and it sort of worked?

With two out of my three EF lenses it worked okay, but with the other it wouldn't work properly. And it worked differently on different cameras. On my Blackmagic Pocket 4k it had communication issues where you had to reset it by taking it off and putting it on. Updated the firmware and that did not seem to fix anything either.

I think the second version or the Metabones is probably the better way to go. I haven't had personal experience with them, but from reviews and whatnot they seem more reliable.

Right now I'm really curious about trying out the EF-RF adapters and the Sigma EF-E or EF-L adapters.

Quote from SpruceBruce on September 2, 2021, 8:04 pm
Quote from Beau Carpenter on September 2, 2021, 7:23 pm

• Camera Body
  • 85mm
  • 50mm
  • 28mm

I'm thinking of getting the GX7 so that I'm able to get a good telephoto setup that's way more compact and portable while I'm traveling.  I really enjoy Panasonic's camera design. I still want to keep my LX100 II, but I'd like to have the ability to interchange and adapt lenses too.

The LX line has always been intriguing! I have similar experience with their camera design.

The GX7 is a neat option and pretty affordable now too. A random thing I noticed about the spec sheet on that one is the flash sync speed at 1/320. Always thought that was a little unusual

SpruceBruce

I used to bring my gripped D7000 / 70-300mm into work rather than leave it out in the car.  My boss, who is an Olympus/Lumix shooter would walk by and pick it up and fake muscle strains and act as if it were made out of lead. Poking fun at carrying such a huge thing around.

I would visit my buddy who shot weddings and portraits, also Chicago at night for gigantic prints.  His cameras were a D810 and a D4 at the time. When he would pick up my set up he would remark "Wow I can't believe how light it is".

He used to let me borrow the pro bodies and yeah, you know you are carrying a camera.  Especially with an 80-200mm 2.8.  The ergonomics on the D4 were spectacular. That made it easier.

When my boss got himself a new OMD-5 II, I would rib him, Oh Wow it's so light and small. Would fit perfectly in a purse. 🙂

Beau Carpenter and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterSpruceBruce
Quote from KankRat on September 5, 2021, 2:22 pm

I used to bring my gripped D7000 / 70-300mm into work rather than leave it out in the car.  My boss, who is an Olympus/Lumix shooter would walk by and pick it up and fake muscle strains and act as if it were made out of lead. Poking fun at carrying such a huge thing around.

I would visit my buddy who shot weddings and portraits, also Chicago at night for gigantic prints.  His cameras were a D810 and a D4 at the time. When he would pick up my set up he would remark "Wow I can't believe how light it is".

He used to let me borrow the pro bodies and yeah, you know you are carrying a camera.  Especially with an 80-200mm 2.8.  The ergonomics on the D4 were spectacular. That made it easier.

When my boss got himself a new OMD-5 II, I would rib him, Oh Wow it's so light and small. Would fit perfectly in a purse. 🙂

Haha, both those digs are pretty good xD

I’m visiting my father-in-law, and he’s the one I bought the Canon 300/4 for. He doesn’t really know anything about photography gear (his words, not mine) but ran into another photographer recently that was convincing him to go mirrorless. He wrote everything down the guy told him then was asking me about it. Sounds like the other guy was saying good stuff and nothing ridiculous, so that’s good 😛 I get a little frustrated when people tell you that your gear sucks and you need to upgrade right now, when what you’re using professional photographers 20 years ago would have drooled over.

Anyway, I might look at the equivalent M43 setup for his range and see how much it would cost to switch his setup, because his primary concern is size and weight and he really doesn’t care too much about IQ (though he takes lovely images). I know some of those nicer pro zoom lenses from Olympus and Panasonic are a little pricier because they are newer. Can’t buy 20 year old used lenses for that system unfortunately.

Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from Snappy on September 6, 2021, 12:26 pm
Quote from KankRat on September 5, 2021, 2:22 pm
Anyway, I might look at the equivalent M43 setup for his range and see how much it would cost to switch his setup, because his primary concern is size and weight and he really doesn’t care too much about IQ (though he takes lovely images). I know some of those nicer pro zoom lenses from Olympus and Panasonic are a little pricier because they are newer. Can’t buy 20 year old used lenses for that system unfortunately.

I could be wrong but I think some of those lenses work with the IBIS and the stabilizer in the lens also.  I watched a bunch videos on the 100-400, Leica.  It was on the Panasonic YT page. The lens looks really nice, but when it got down to shooting at ISO- 3200 pics really did not look too good.

In fact I have been looking at Flickr for M43 wildlife images , while they don't look bad none were mindblowing great IQ.  Some of those are really expensive set ups too.

I'm kind of interested in the 60mm macro Oly. The in body stacking is really interesting. Last year the OMD5II was going for $600 new.  That would have been the time to pull the trigger.

Really I should probably just get a nice macro for my Nikon and be done with it.

SpruceBruce