Please or Register to create posts and topics.

A camera you've completely regretted selling?

Page 1 of 2Next

I've gotten the Pentax K1 in my collection finally.  It's so much similar in shooting experience to my Nikon Df, I picked up 2 years ago.  Beautiful RAW files, a big bright viewfinder, beautiful ergonomics, an emphasis on utilizing old film/early AF glass. I ended up selling it, because I didn't care for the ISO dial controls at the time and the lack of Full Frame autofocus glass impulsively before I could truly appreciate it.  Now I've experienced shooting old manual glass on the K1, I totally regret selling it.  I feel like the K1, is a more refined modern version that Nikon had attempted with the Df.  With more control dials and mode dials, that awesome rear LCD screen.

So to other forum users, have you ever later regretted gear you've sold?  That you just never had the patience or insight to truly enjoy and appreciate?

Tristan Carlos has reacted to this post.
Tristan Carlos

I didn't realize/forgot you had the Df. That has always looked like a neat camera to me. Interesting to hear you compare it conceptually with the K-1. The K-1 has become for me a camera I can't imagine letting go of. I took it for a spin this morning in place of my K-3 III, and yeah auto focus was slower, but I just love everything else about it.

There's nothing I regret too much selling - most of what I have owned is easy enough to acquire again, so even if I miss it I know I could always go back and snag one for essentially the same price.

I do sort of regret selling my Pentax KP. The price for those has gone up since I sold it, and I was just starting to get along with it better when I decided to pull the trigger on the K-3III. It's a fantastic camera.

I miss my Olympus Pen FT. I finally sold it because it was just sitting on the shelf, but it was such a pretty camera to look at and functioned really really well. And half-frames are just fun every now and then. I would pick one up again. Tough to find lenses for, though.

I wish I hadn't sold my Pentax FA* 400mm f5.6 lens. At the time I just wasn't shooting wildlife or anything telephoto. I got it in a well underpriced bundle of gear. I even had a friend tell me just to keep the darn thing, because I would never buy it again if I sold it. True enough. Would've liked to give it a spin now.

I think that's about it. Sometimes saying goodbye initially hurts, but then it's fine. Good to not hang on to everything as that gets burdensome. Curious what answers others have.

Tristan Carlos and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
Tristan CarlosSpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂

I regret selling my Canon SX700HS travel zoom. It was the camera that I travelled with all over the world from the time when I didn't know about photography that much.

I also regret selling the Fujifilm X-E2. It was tiny and, arguably, had the best X-trans sensor (X-trans II).  I had so many good shots from that tiny camera when I was in Italy.

I do sort of regret selling my Pentax KP. The price for those has gone up since I sold it, and I was just starting to get along with it better when I decided to pull the trigger on the K-3III. It's a fantastic camera.

I agree, the Pentax KP was and it still is so good, Ricoh had to discontinue it. It had everything except being a sports camera.

James Warner and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBruce
Quote from SpruceBruce on June 11, 2022, 3:23 pm

I've gotten the Pentax K1 in my collection finally.  It's so much similar in shooting experience to my Nikon Df, I picked up 2 years ago.  Beautiful RAW files, a big bright viewfinder, beautiful ergonomics, an emphasis on utilizing old film/early AF glass. I ended up selling it, because I didn't care for the ISO dial controls at the time and the lack of Full Frame autofocus glass impulsively before I could truly appreciate it.  Now I've experienced shooting old manual glass on the K1, I totally regret selling it.  I feel like the K1, is a more refined modern version that Nikon had attempted with the Df.  With more control dials and mode dials, that awesome rear LCD screen.

So to other forum users, have you ever later regretted gear you've sold?  That you just never had the patience or insight to truly enjoy and appreciate?

Sort of but for different reasons.  Mostly because I could have sold it for more money.

I had a really nice F3 I sold to someone who was collecting the F thru F5 series.  Kind of regret it because it's not being used, basically a display item- for which a broken camera would be fine for.  I also sold it for $150 which was too cheap.

I bought that camera used- supposedly a rental for $350 in 1992.  I think it was mis-marked big time. Great camera but I really was so used to my FM2 I hardly used it. I bet it does not have 5 rolls of film gone thru it since I got it.  The mirror was dampened to a ridiculous level.  It was a pro camera in every way.

I did not care for the HP viewfinder (but could be replaced, they made 3 or 4 different ones).

So in short regret I didn't sell it to someone with deeper pockets who would actually use it.

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce

Fujifilm X100. I bought it for a song. It has the x-trans II CMOS sensor which produces those classic Fuji colours. I sold it for a slight loss....no idea why I sold it, it was my go everywhere camera. I now regret it as I can't find a replacement without the aperture blade issue these were unfortunately known for.

Quote from Just take the shot on June 13, 2022, 9:08 am

Fujifilm X100. I bought it for a song. It has the x-trans II CMOS sensor which produces those classic Fuji colours. I sold it for a slight loss....no idea why I sold it, it was my go everywhere camera. I now regret it as I can't find a replacement without the aperture blade issue these were unfortunately known for.

oh man the X-trans II is a gem. Just looking at my SOOC photos and man, they hardly need editing at all.

However, is the X100 really X-trans ii? I thought it had a 12mp sensor but I may be wrong.

Quote from tristancarlos on June 13, 2022, 8:38 pm

Quote from Just take the shot on June 13, 2022, 9:08 am

However, is the X100 really X-trans ii? I thought it had a 12mp sensor but I may be wrong.

You are absolutely correct. Well I'll be. Here I was thinking I was shooting with one of the best X-Trans sensors Fujifilm had made. It actually used their EXR CMOS sensor. Well now I'm just depressed hahahaha!!!

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce

@james-warner-b

Totally have been debating about the KP in the same regard.  It doesn't have too much use lately, but I took it out the other morning with the DA Limited 35mm Macro F2.8, such a compact perfect setup.  I think I'm going to probably keep it around a little longer.

Certainly I'd agree on the 400mm F5.6, I've wanted to find a copy, but I haven't had any luck on seeing a decent deal.  Feel like it's more suited to your photography needs more than ever.  They're either in Japan and have flaws or just way out of what I'm comfortable paying for.

@tristanludlow

The Fuji XES-2 was on my list to try eventually, my only foray into Fuji was a brief ownership with an XT-20 I dropped and wrecked a few months in.  I saw Mattias Burling's review on it.

@kankrat oooohhhh man, the F3 would be a dream to own at this point.  There's few in my area going for 500-600 used.  Totally feel you on the frustration.  You sound like my Dad too, he sold a 72 Corvette Stingray to his cousin.  He never drove it again, and it just sits in a barn collecting dust now days.  He wishes he'd sold it to someone else who would actually use it.

Tristan Carlos has reacted to this post.
Tristan Carlos

I had a Panasonic Lumix TZ90. It had a lot going for it every feature you could wish for on a compact camera other than the small sensor and slow Lense. I sold it as I was chasing a bigger sensor and faster Lense however, I wish I still had something with such a long zoom and such a light weight.

Tristan Carlos and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
Tristan CarlosSpruceBruce
Quote from Lim on June 15, 2022, 10:42 pm

I had a Panasonic Lumix TZ90. It had a lot going for it every feature you could wish for on a compact camera other than the small sensor and slow Lense. I sold it as I was chasing a bigger sensor and faster Lense however, I wish I still had something with such a long zoom and such a light weight.

I reckon those travel zooms will be future classics.

Lim has reacted to this post.
Lim
Page 1 of 2Next