Please or Register to create posts and topics.

A Blast From My Pentax Past

Don't know if anyone owned a Pentax Optio MX4? the second version of the Optio MX line. I bought mine around 13 years ago, it has been used on vacations and other outings. I love the ergonomics of the camera.  Only 4 megapixel camera with a 10x optical zoom lens and only able to shoot VGA video, I still had a ton of fun!

Uploaded files:
  • S1210001.JPG
  • IMG_20200830_134627295_HDR.jpg
  • IMGP0460.JPG
James Warner, SpruceBruce and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBruceDaniel GonzalezHeggenDazsJBP

How cool is that?! And I didn't even know it existed. It looks like one of those devices you just want to hold even when you aren't using it (lol, just thought of Gollum and the ring). Do you still have it and use it?

SpruceBruce and TSTS have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceTSTS

I actually have 2 MX4s. Both were bought used on ebay, I bought a ton of batteries. Only challenges I had was one SD card slot would not eject the card, but that was more of an annoyance.  The usb/ac adapter covers tends over time to break, they use a rubber connector, not a big deal, just use some clear tape.  I finally had to retire one as it developed a few dead pixels and the second one later developed the same.  The camera takes 2gb standard sd cards, and you can film up to the card or the battery going flat.  The best part is the zoom. the Buck Rodgers style pistol grip and the macro mode, basically place an object touching the lens and it will work, light might be an issue.  the 640x480 vga (mov) video in not that bad, no HD.  The image shows the optional wide angle lens, it is just a screw mount. I have tons of pictures and video taken with the camera if anyone is interested in seeing it?  The MX4 is the better one, the MX was just 3 megapixels compared to the 4 megapixels

Uploaded files:
  • IMGP0429.jpg
  • IMGP0555.jpg
  • IMGP0207.jpg
SpruceBruce, Daniel Gonzalez and JBP have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceDaniel GonzalezJBP

I had never seen or heard of this camera before... Is it a stills camera that shoots video? Or a camcorder that shoots stills? 🤔

The handle that comes out the side to hold like a pistol grip is sweet. At least I think that's what that is. Reminds me of some of those 16mm film video cameras. Really neat.

And the images you got, fantastic. I imagine it's one of those "it's the photographer not the camera" situations, but still it looks like it handled the scenes fairly well.

I actually would be curious to see the video, if you have an easy way to post it. Every old camera I try I play with the video for a bit for nostalgia sake 🙂

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from TSTS on March 25, 2022, 8:47 pm

I actually have 2 MX4s. Both were bought used on ebay, I bought a ton of batteries. Only challenges I had was one SD card slot would not eject the card, but that was more of an annoyance.  The usb/ac adapter covers tends over time to break, they use a rubber connector, not a big deal, just use some clear tape.  I finally had to retire one as it developed a few dead pixels and the second one later developed the same.  The camera takes 2gb standard sd cards, and you can film up to the card or the battery going flat.  The best part is the zoom. the Buck Rodgers style pistol grip and the macro mode, basically place an object touching the lens and it will work, light might be an issue.  the 640x480 vga (mov) video in not that bad, no HD.  The image shows the optional wide angle lens, it is just a screw mount. I have tons of pictures and video taken with the camera if anyone is interested in seeing it?  The MX4 is the better one, the MX was just 3 megapixels compared to the 4 megapixels

Great shots. The colors and tones from that camera are splendid.

TSTS has reacted to this post.
TSTS