Please or Register to create posts and topics.

645 Film Cameras

Hey y'all!

Currently shopping around at 645 film cameras for a few reasons, I'd really like a medium format film camera with interchangeable lenses but I'm not quite ready to commit to the size and weight of a 67 or 66. I know there are anomalies for size to weight ratio like the Fuji MF cameras but I think I'd like something a bit more analog than those systems. Currently I'm looking at the ETRS from Bronica and Pentax 645N. My wallet tells me to go Bronica while my brain says I've already thrown so much money into the Pentax ecosystem and they're still making 645 systems, why not invest into a camera system that lives on. Thoughts? I'd love to hear some.

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Quote from HeggenDazs on May 20, 2022, 1:37 pm

Hey y'all!

Currently shopping around at 645 film cameras for a few reasons, I'd really like a medium format film camera with interchangeable lenses but I'm not quite ready to commit to the size and weight of a 67 or 66. I know there are anomalies for size to weight ratio like the Fuji MF cameras but I think I'd like something a bit more analog than those systems. Currently I'm looking at the ETRS from Bronica and Pentax 645N. My wallet tells me to go Bronica while my brain says I've already thrown so much money into the Pentax ecosystem and they're still making 645 systems, why not invest into a camera system that lives on. Thoughts? I'd love to hear some.

Pentax 645! There's one at a camera shop I posted from Portland, that's only $600 with a 45mm F/2.8.

I've also have been intrigued by the Mamiya 645, seems like a great system.

I've yet to handle a Bronica though.

And yes the Pentax 6x7 is an absolute tank of a camera.  Mine weighs a ton even with the SMC M 55MM F3.5

Here's a few deals I've found for a 645 system

Bronica up in the SW Metro of Minneapolis

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/pho/d/saint-paul-bronica-etrs-and-lenses/7480877330.html

Pentax 645 in Portland

https://camerasolutionsinc.com/pentax-645-w-55mm-f-2-8-used.html

I can't tell you about the cameras themselves but I can tell you that Mamiya 645 is the system to which you can adapt virtually any medium format lens, kinda like the mirrorless of its day.

So if lenses are your thing, that might be the way to go.

I used to shoot RB67s (6x7 obviously) and they were fantastic cameras. Mamiya makes beautiful hardware.

SpruceBruce and HeggenDazs have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceHeggenDazs

When I was in high school my buddy was able to borrow a Yashica Mat124G. It was a very fine camera and because of the format none of our 35mm could touch the image quality.

They go for under $200 used.

SpruceBruce and HeggenDazs have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceHeggenDazs

I bought a Bronica SQ-A with both viewfinders, 120 6x6 back, (they also sell a 645 back that I'm eyeing[another reason I got this camera] ) 3 lenses. Zenzanon-S 105mm f/3.5, 200mm f/4.5, and the 50mm f/3.5. Along with an IR filter, ND filter, and the guy even threw in 6 film stocks.

SpruceBruce
Quote from HeggenDazs on May 22, 2022, 8:39 pm

I bought a Bronica SQ-A with both viewfinders, 120 6x6 back, (they also sell a 645 back that I'm eyeing[another reason I got this camera] ) 3 lenses. Zenzanon-S 105mm f/3.5, 200mm f/4.5, and the 50mm f/3.5. Along with an IR filter, ND filter, and the guy even threw in 6 film stocks.

Sweet deal! You're gonna love seeing a huge negative once they're developed.

James Warner and HeggenDazs have reacted to this post.
James WarnerHeggenDazs

Well, I’m really in it now. No going back. My dad mentioned to my great uncle, who used to do film photography professionally that I’ve begun shooting film. The guy just gave me his whole dark room. I’m extremely grateful and now finding new horizons that I need to eclipse.

Uploaded files:
  • 167A84F0-86ED-4366-88A9-3FB967E76FD1.jpeg
  • 209DA3CF-FB1E-47F4-AEF5-238C1C8E6BF4.jpeg
  • DC4913E1-E5F3-4C9A-A552-1D1D94A60379.jpeg
  • 0241473D-0483-40E1-B294-7C91C6D723B5.jpeg
James Warner and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBruce
Quote from HeggenDazs on June 19, 2022, 10:42 pm

Well, I’m really in it now. No going back. My dad mentioned to my great uncle, who used to do film photography professionally that I’ve begun shooting film. The guy just gave me his whole dark room. I’m extremely grateful and now finding new horizons that I need to eclipse.

That's so cool! Lucky, but deserving! You really have been paying the price to learn it. I really want you to get to the point where you develop your own print... I've never done that (I thought developing film was the hard part, haha), but I feel like it would be magic to see your image come alive in front of you like that.

Also, awesome about the film. Prices are crazy these days! I had read some chatter about that, but mostly shooting digital ignored it. Went to order some color film the other day and couldn't believe it. Yikes.

HeggenDazs has reacted to this post.
HeggenDazs
Happy snappin' 🙂

I'm really hoping this demand for film brings back some interest from the companies! I see the high prices and I hope it's just temporary. Maybe we'll see a complete swing in the market again like we saw with album sales, everyone switching to some analog.

SpruceBruce
Quote from HeggenDazs on June 21, 2022, 1:48 pm

I'm really hoping this demand for film brings back some interest from the companies! I see the high prices and I hope it's just temporary. Maybe we'll see a complete swing in the market again like we saw with album sales, everyone switching to some analog.

Congrats on the dark room setup, super cool.

Hopefully, I know startups like the Impossible Project and One Instant are trying to renew Polaroid pack film and discontinued instant film, with limited success with all the renewed interest in analog photography.  There's so many old Polaroid Land cameras just lying around here in the Midwest

I think part of the price hikes, are limited supplies, hazardous chemicals, and old machinery with an aging workforce moving forward.  But hopefully, prices will stabilize eventually. I post on Reddit alot too, and it annoys me to no end the people who buy mini fridges and just hoarde film as soon as it's in stock.  Sometimes I wonder if they'll even use it all.  That's certainly not helping the situation either.

Daniel Gonzalez has reacted to this post.
Daniel Gonzalez